• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I have a colt govt model 1911 built in 1918 and took it to get it appraised. they said that it was not the original barrel and bushing. first ? is how much does that affect value? second is how hard would it be to find a barrel from that era if it was worth the trouble. I asked them if I should put it away or shoot it and they replied shoot it. I have always been one to use what I have butI inherited it from my dad and will keep it to hand down in the family. Now I know its not in mint condition but its pretty good IMO, and I will shoot it every now and then until I get another 1911. What do yall think?

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Would definitely effect the price to someone who wanted one for a collection. But I wouldn't imagine value would matter much for a heirloom item. I would leave it in the condition it was passed down to me in personally.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Just like '03 Springfileds, Garands and M1 Carbines, if the 1911 was in service for a long time, they were rearmored with "non matching" parts just like the rifles were...it is not unusual to have parts from different manufactures on the same pistol. If you have the history on the gun that is important ie: my grandfather had it at the battle of the bulge etc.

Just as a side note, this is one issue that the Military has wtih the Barettas...they do not work well in the rearmoring process...per Larry Vickers at his 1911 class.:twocents:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Just as a side note, this is one issue that the Military has wtih the Barettas...they do not work well in the rearmoring process...per Larry Vickers at his 1911 class.:twocents:
    Larry is wrong... :popcorn:

There is no problem at all with the M-9 in the Armorers Shops...

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    No back story. My mom bought it for my dad umteen million yrs ago (Im sure!) and Im sure neither one realized how old it was. I do remember a story that my dad had a new bushing installed and shot only a couple rounds out of it but who knows. My mom doesnt remember and my dad has passed. My brother put some rounds thru it as have I. That was before I got it appraised. Even with a replacement barrel and bushing I was amazed at the value. Just wondered if it was worth finding an era correct barrel but it sounds not.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Thanks. I can see that point of view and have considered that. Just wasnt sure how much more value would be lost if something did break. Maybe Ill just put it up. Ive also considered, since it is not a long family heirloom < of just selling or trading for a shooter. I have a hard time with that thinking because it so damn cool to have a colt 1911 thats almost 100!:rockwoot:

I love this feedback and opinions! keep it coming! Is there anyone here located on the east side of Indy that can give me an appraisal other than just looking in the book? Someone that specializes in 1911 and can appreciate an oldie but a goodie?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    post pic's of it.....all sides top and bottom...does it have arsenal marks?...many of these where took apart at arsenals with slides, barrels and frames in piles and the smith's didn't match them up....they grabbed what ever was at hand and slapped them together..... ..hard to tell anything without pic's.....

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I would be hesitant to shoot it if it was mine. I would be concerned about cracking the frame or causing other damage to it. Here is a link to 1911forum.com concerning shooting older 1911's.

And you could have the exact same problems with a New Firearm as well. Guns were made to be shot. Mechanical parts wear out, so replace them and inspect the Pistol when you clean it. If this was a GI M1911 it has had numerous parts replaced in it over its life in the System...

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    didnt have time to upload pics to my computer last night, sorry. I will do it tonight.
    indyjohn, thats where i have probs. I am a firm believer in if you have it, use it. I would love to shoot this every once in a while but if its one of those put it away guns, why have it to begin with.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    didnt have time to upload pics to my computer last night, sorry. I will do it tonight.
    indyjohn, thats where i have probs. I am a firm believer in if you have it, use it. I would love to shoot this every once in a while but if its one of those put it away guns, why have it to begin with.

I have 2 Rifles that are Heirlooms that I learned to shoot on. 1 is a 1861 3 band Springfield the Other is an 1852 Double Barrel 32. Both seen action in the Civil War. We shoot them every Year and will continue to do so as Cousins, Nieces, and Nephews want to learn the Family History. Since they will not be sold outside the Family we keep them Maintained and Serviceable...

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    FWIW - If I had an essentially antique 1911, I'd get a really nice wooden box with a glass front, print out a black & white pic of WWI military action for the background, mount the thing nicely, and hang it on the wall. Perhaps take it out occasionally to shoot it, then clean it and put it back. Nobody looking at it is going to know it's not all original.

Of course I already have a Colt Combat Elite to shoot and a Wilson Combat that I'm building, so I can afford to treat one as art. I also don't like to sell stuff. If I have it, and it's paid for, why sell it? I'll let the wife or kids worry about that once I'm taking the dirt nap. Of course everyone's different, so your mileage may vary.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    apparently I can not attach pics cause im new. ok I got them loaded in my profile, its all I could get. Looking at it I wonder if the slide has been replaced also because the bluing is so much better than the frame.

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    apparently I can not attach pics cause im new. ok I got them loaded in my profile, its all I could get. Looking at it I wonder if the slide has been replaced also because the bluing is so much better than the frame.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

It's free. Don't be put off by the wild colors. It's very easy to push pictures on your computer up to the site for storage. Then look for the "direct link" button; come back here and reply to thread, click on the globe with the chain link and right click then select paste. Your pics will be here for all to enjoy...

(Oh. Sorry. Switched into work mode there. Carry on).

Edit: There's a minimum post count to attach pics? I better go look up the FAQ....

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    thats what im assuming. the box at the bottom left of the page says I can not post attachments. It doesnt help that Im not that computer litterate. I barely figured out how to get them to my profile. Luckily my wife was sitting next to me! By the time I got them there, I was done messing around with it!:D

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Personally if it were mine and a family gun that would passed down it would be sent to Turnbull for a restoration (not a reblue) and would be shot and carried as a BBQ gun. It will last many generations that way and be a beautiful gun.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    the frame is 1918 the slide is 1918.....slide is a Commercial/Military and was made from May to June 1918...the barrel is the right year to of 1918...stocks are right 15 rows between diamond's......can't tell from the pic's on finer points of hammer and other parts....but i'm 90% sure it's a 1918 Colt......would know more if pic's where better....very nice piece you have there.....don't sell it pass it to your kids and if you goin' to shoot it keep them at 800fps and lower as this old birds have pretty soft steel and where not heat treated....

Top Bottom