• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rivitir

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Greetings to all. First post, but a long time plinker.

I just purchased my first auto-loader hand gun. Its a Smith & Wesson M&P .40. I took it out for the first time to an indoor range (so this makes two firsts for me; 1} never shot indoors before & 2} I have never shot an auto-loader. I'm used to revolvers/rifles/shotguns & out door shooting) and I noticed that while I was shooting my front sight started getting darker. Granted I was shooting some pretty dirty Winchester plinking ammo that you buy in bulk so I just figured my sight was just getting dirty. Strange I thought, but this was my first auto loader so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Is it?

When I got home I tried cleaning it out first. I put hoppes #9 on it then gun blast then a couple other different cleaners I had... nothing cleaned it out. Its almost like someone painted over my white dot with black paint. I tried doing some searching for information about it, but didn't find anything.

So my question is:
    Is this normal on an auto loader?
    Could the paint have vibrated off while shooting or is it just REALLY dirty and I need to use something better to clean it off?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington

I just purchased my first auto-loader hand gun. Its a Smith & Wesson M&P .40. I took it out for the first time to an indoor range (so this makes two firsts for me; 1} never shot indoors before & 2} I have never shot an auto-loader. I'm used to revolvers/rifles/shotguns & out door shooting) and I noticed that while I was shooting my front sight started getting darker. Granted I was shooting some pretty dirty Winchester plinking ammo that you buy in bulk so I just figured my sight was just getting dirty. Strange I thought, but this was my first auto loader so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Is it?

When I got home I tried cleaning it out first. I put hoppes #9 on it then gun blast then a couple other different cleaners I had... nothing cleaned it out. Its almost like someone painted over my white dot with black paint. I tried doing some searching for information about it, but didn't find anything.

So my question is:
    Could the paint have vibrated off while shooting or is it just REALLY dirty and I need to use something better to clean it off?

Congrats on the first post man. I didn't think there was anyone around that hadn't posted, thats kinda cool. I have had the sights get a little dark when shooting a LOT of rounds of dirty ammo, but never to the point where it didn't just wipe off with my finger even. I know .40s are a little snappier than 9mms, but my .40 has never had a problem, and the nail polish in the engraving hasn't vibrated out either.

rivitir

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Wow... thanks for the quick response! And thanks.

I shot a little over 100 rounds in the ~30 minutes I was shooting. And the site is completely black. I thought about calling S&W about it. But I wanted to ask here first. I hope its just because of nasty ammo or bad conditions or something. I just got it so I hope its not a manufacturer defect... I really don't want to have to send it back for repair. On the same note. If this keeps happening its no good. I can't shoot if I can't see my sight to aim.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It sounds like a manufacturers defect to me. I can't imagine how you can possibly accurately shoot a pistol with a totally black front sight.

I would demand satisfaction from S&W.:popcorn:

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    It sounds like a manufacturers defect to me. I can't imagine how you can possibly accurately shoot a pistol with a totally black front sight.

Funny you say that, All black sights used to be the standard. And some shooters actually prefer all black sights. I have an all black front sight on my Matchmaster and I like it for what the gun is used for (accuracy and target shooting).

To the OP, sending it back is an option, but if you are interested in Night Sights it might be faster to just take it to a local store and have night sights installed.

rivitir

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Ugh... I didn't even think about the cleaners taking the paint off. I hope not. I may end up trying to clean it again. Or just repaint it myself. See if it gets black again after shooting. May be a good time to try nitesiters.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I have had break free eat paint. That would be my bet! Nice choice on the M&P 40. I am going to take mine out for the first time next weekend! I got the 9mm conversion barrel, so I am excited about that too!

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Ugh... I didn't even think about the cleaners taking the paint off. I hope not. I may end up trying to clean it again. Or just repaint it myself. See if it gets black again after shooting. May be a good time to try nitesiters.

you can get white hobby paint and a brush...and I think they even have some stuff that will glow at night.

I ran into a related issue with my MP...my front fiber optic site after cleaning lost a lot of it's glow. Cleaners can damage them. (Learned the hard way). Ended up popping in a new red fiber rod....now it's better than when I got it. :)

I sue the white box Winchester ammo....seems clean to me (Wallyworld). But I have shot some VERY dirty Federal ammo (was on sale at Rural king). Thought I was shooting a black powder pistol.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I had the same thing happen to my MP9. Called S&W and he told me they had a batch of bad front sites. It wasn't properly cleaned before painting and the white dots are falling out.
    He told me I could, A. send it in for repair or, B. Take a toothpick and get a bottle of model airplane paint. I found a toothpick.

If you do it yourself, be very careful. It doesn't take but a tiny amount of paint to fill the white dot. Just put the very tip of the toothpick in the paint.

Billcurtis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Pike County

So my question is:

I think you just got a bad paint job on your front sight. I would repaint the dot using car touch up paint. After taking the slide off, I would clean the grease and oil off, using something like automotive break cleaner or carb cleaner. Once clean I would warm up the metal and dab on the bright white auto touch up paint and let it stand up to dry. Let the paint dry at least a day, then it should be good to go.
    Bill...

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Bright Sights

I normally just use a little water or bright sight cleaner then freshen up the dot with a little bright sight paint when it gets really bad. Hoppes #9 might have been a little harsh for the paint. S&W would probably fix it for free but night sights are the way to go for visibility IMHO.

sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN

So my question is:

Interesting.

I shoot a revolver and take a candle with me to the range so I can blacken my SS front sight blade.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I bought my M&P compact right around Christmas last year and first trip out to the range, 110 rounds in the freaking front site did the same thing - the white part of the front site came right out. I thought it was dirty from powder and kept trying to clean it out but couldn't get it out. Eventually just got night sights but the guy that put them on asked me if I knew the white dot on my front site came out!

rivitir

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Well, good to know I'm not alone. I guess thats what happened then. The white came off.

I have to say, I REALLY like this pistol. If this is the only thing wrong with it, sweet. I was planning on replacing the sites with night ones anyway. So no loss there. And a touch of paint in the mean time is nothing. My main concern was that some how the powder was getting on it. I don't want that kind of defect in my hands when I'm shooting. :eek:

rivitir

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Interesting.

I shoot a revolver and take a candle with me to the range so I can blacken my SS front sight blade.

I know a lot of people like the front black sights, but I never have. I really like a contrast or glow. The black sites (for me anyway) make it difficult for me to see if they are aligned properly or not. The white dots make aiming a lot easier.

Funny though, the old type that had the notch in the rear and the blade front, I never had an issue with.

rivitir

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009

I sue the white box Winchester ammo....seems clean to me (Wallyworld). But I have shot some VERY dirty Federal ammo (was on sale at Rural king). Thought I was shooting a black powder pistol.

Interesting you say this. I've always shot (and really liked) the old Federal ammo. And I do agree, its pretty dirty. But I always thought it shot well. I shoot cheap, so I always get the value packs. The Winchester (Wallyworld) brick ammo I shot was pretty nasty. The Remmington ammo I shot was pretty clean though. I got a couple other brands to see how well they shoot.

On a side note, for reloads, I really like unique powder. Its always shot pretty cleanly for me.

rivitir

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    ... Nice choice on the M&P 40. I am going to take mine out for the first time next weekend! I got the 9mm conversion barrel, so I am excited about that too!

I've been looking at pistols for a long time. Picking one out that I wanted. I watched a lot of youtube video's, manufacturer sites, priced around to all the gun shops within an hour drive of my home, etc until I finally picked the M&P.

I really like it. Its very simple, solid, and accurate. I would definitely buy another.

I never knew about the conversion barrel. I will need to look that up.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Yet another M&P owner that had the same problem of the dot falling out. A dab of white paint fixed it up just fine, haven't had a problem since. S&W's batch of bad sights must have been pretty good size.

Top Bottom