• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Okay, I've got a PT1911, owned it since it was new, it has maybe 500 rounds thru the thing. I've always had an issue grouping the shots. Its a huge open pattern. I thought it was just me and not the gun. Now I'm not the best pistol shooter but normally I can get all my shots with other pistols in the 8,9 and 10 circles or close to it, not all over the map like this pistol. So thinking it was me, I had a buddy go out to the range with me today, he brought along his colt 70 series match and a Rock island. I shot both of them, and bam, I was grouping fine and normal for me again. Comparing all 3, they all feel pretty much the same in my hand. So I had my buddy shoot mine PT1911, my buddy had a pattern almost exactly like mine, aka, all over the target. My buddy has won pistol comps before and does know what hes doing but we are both stumped as to what could be causing this thing to hit all over the target. I did notice that the cycle rate seemed faster on my PT1911 compared to the 70 series and the R.I. Could that be part of it, or could it be some other issue? I did have the barrel guaged last spring and it came within factory specs, so I'm stumped

Last edited:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Sounds like the barrel is not locking up right, could be several reasons. IS it feasible to send it back to Taurus? Or are you wanting to fix it yourself?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    1. Unload pistol.
    2. Close slide (do not use slide release for this action)
    3. Try to wiggle barrel around in bushing.
    4. If perceptible movement is found, send to Taurus for barrel refitting (if slopping back and forth) or new bushing (if just wiggling around bushing).
    5. Check sights for looseness. If loose, tighten or ship to Taurus for new sights.

There is nothing wrong with a Taurus, just alot leave the factory in pretty bad condition quality wise. :)

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    My :twocents: take it for what its worth
    I almost always change the barrel bushing to a better than stock bushing unless I can feel no play between bushing and slide.
    It does not have to be so tight you have to use a tool but it should not be sloppy.

Is the barrel link to long? Does the hood of the barrel push down when the slide is in battery? It is important that the barrel lugs lockup on the slide stop. If the bushing is to long it can let the barrel float or even ride up on the link. The extension on the top of the barrel hood should not have a large gap between the back edge and the slide less than .005 would be great. The gap on the side doesn't matter much.

Check for excess wear on all of the contact point wear the slide and barrel and frame meet see if anything is out of the ordinary.

I would be real suspect of the barrel link and front bushing but could be a crap barrel and best thing to do would be to get it warrantied. or buy a Kart EZ fit barrel in it if you wanted to have some 1 on 1 time with your pistol :)

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    wheres the fun in that? :)

Exactly. I love it when folks have a 1911 from a manufacturer, then when it jams, they want to send it back to the factory. Or my fav: What mags work in my Springfield/Taurus/etc... 1911? :D

The 1911 is a professional's gun in my mind. So many parts for it to tinker with it, it screams "make me yours, just don't pull my hair too hard". Personally, I bought a few Taurus with the specific purpose of chucking everything except the slide, barrel and frame. Their cost is worth those parts alone, then build up a truely custom 1911 from there.

People just buy a 1911 to just shoot it?! Now you've lost me!

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Exactly. I love it when folks have a 1911 from a manufacturer, then when it jams, they want to send it back to the factory. Or my fav: What mags work in my Springfield/Taurus/etc... 1911? :D

The 1911 is a professional's gun in my mind. So many parts for it to tinker with it, it screams "make me yours, just don't pull my hair too hard". Personally, I bought a few Taurus with the specific purpose of chucking everything except the slide, barrel and frame. Their cost is worth those parts alone, then build up a truely custom 1911 from there.

People just buy a 1911 to just shoot it?! Now you've lost me!

That was my original plan, but when I saw how bad I was shooting with it, I decided to practice with it more to see where I was at before modding it. Now that I know its something with the gun, I can start doing that. Any recommendations towards what parts for a match gun?

I have to get some pics up, but under better lighting, I noticed that the barrel bushing seems to not be perfectly round. It looks like it has worn out the upper left side of the bushing a tad and the barrel actually has alot of play towards that direction, So this may be the whole problem. Anyone have any reccomendations towards a certain aftermarket bushing and why?

Top Bottom