Experience with the Walther P99 AS in .40?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    My son is looking at getting another handgun, in .40 caliber this time around. He likes the looks of the Walther P99 AS. I guess we'll be going out this weekend looking for one, as neither of us has actually seen/held one.

Anyone here with shooting experience with one? If so, what's your opinion.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yes I have one and love it! I usually make comparisons of this gun with my Glock 23. They are similar in size. IMO, the Walther beats the Glock in ergonomics, sights, and accuracy. I also like the fact that the gun will double strike a primer. The trigger of both the Glock and Walther are a bit different and both take some getting used to. A lot of people don't like the Walther trigger as it simulates DA/SA and has a lot of take up. You can pre-stage the striker.

Advantages of the Glock are are follows, higher capacity, slightly lighter, and it has a lower bore axis. Follow up shots and recoil are more manageable with the Glock. The Glock also has almost endless options for holsters and accessories.

If I had to choose one over the other it would be the Walther. For shooting targets I will take the Walther. The Glock however stays loaded and seems to follow me when I am wanting a full capacity auto as a companion.

Thought I would through in a picture of our his & her Walthers.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjMtMjAxMDExMjAtMTEyNC5qcGc.jpg

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    If you like the P22, you will LOVE the P99, it is made 100x better in about every regard. I used to have a P99 AS model and it is definitely one of those guns I wish I could have back.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The wife and I have three Walthers in the house. A P22, PK380 & P99. The P99 is a first generation so is the same as the AS and it is chambered in .40S&W. Like Westsider said there is really no comparison between the P22 and P99. The P22 is the product of a toy company, cheap potmetal and plastic. (The PK380 is actually a much nicer gun and not a .380 version of the P22). Now the P99 is nice. It is a service pistol that will compete in quality with any other striker fired service pistol in the world. The only two complaints I have with my P99 is:

1) It has plastic sights. They are nice three dot sights, but come on why can't a gun in this price range have metal night sights.
    2) The gun is a bit snappy in recoil. Not uncomfortable to shoot in any way, but the barrel sits high in the hand. The result is that it is not a fast pistol and a little hard to control.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Hi,

Former owner of two different p99 pistols here... A 1st Gen 9mm and a 1st Gen .40.

I felt that both were rather "flippy" upon recoil, owing to their higher-than-others bore axis. I felt that the .40 version, in addition to being a little flippy, wanted to torque to the right upon firing.

I found them rather accurate. Extremely comfortable to HOLD. Slightly less comfortable to shoot.

Over the years I've owned several different polymer pistols... I've sold/traded them all and have ended up with M&P pistols.

Also on the P99: Mags are expensive. .40 mags are easier to come by than 9mm, however.

Another pistol to look at would be Walther's new PPQ; completely different than the P99, but using same mags.

-J-

Top Bottom