So what's the final verdict on the gen 4 glocks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    *Disclaimer: I'm really not looking to hear the same old xd, S&W vs glock bs. I'd really love for that kind of thing to not even come up in the discussion. I really want to know whether the gen 4 was an improvement as far as reliability goes.

I've read some different things about the gen 4 glocks and most of it has to do with the recoil springs. I've held a few and I like the new grip, but I've also seen a guy field strip his brand new G17 gen 4 and bend up the thin cap on the end of the recoil spring rod. I've also read a little bit about glock doing a voluntary replacement for the recoil spring/rod if you want to call them up and they'll send you a new/different one.

I'm really not a glock guy, but I'll at least recognize that they didn't get their reputation for nothing. I have a 20SF and if they made a G17/G19 SF with the old system I'd consider buying one, but that's not my option and there's no sense hoping for it.

Basically are my options to either get the reliable system that glocks reputation was built on in the gen 3, or am I better off to get a new gen 4 that's just as good but with a grip I'll like more.

I'm just throwing out an honest question to all the glock guru's on the site. I'm not trying to rehash the same old areguements, I just want some honest opinions.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm not a big Glock fan either....I feel that their reputation was primarily earned for it's ease of use for less "gun savvy" users......on the other hand, I do feel that they make a good/reliable gun....however no more/less reliable than the majority of other brand names/designs.....it is what it is......a Glock......that being said, I prefer the feel of the Gen 3 stippling but have not used a Gen4.....I like the idea of the interchangeable back straps though......

I say, you get your hands on a good USED gen4 ...try it out...and if you decide you don't like it then at least you can resell it without taking much (if any) hit to the wallet because of their great resell values.....at which point you can always resort back to a gen3

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    It basically comes down to the grip, the Gen 4 comes with the backstraps you can change out to help with your grip. The Spring replacement is optional. I never had any problems with any of my gen4's and I still called to get the upgrade to make them all the same. I think the 4s are better over the 3rd gen but thats because I like the grip better. Any Glock made after some point in July all have the upgraded springs in them. (excluding the 26 and 27). Try them both if you can find them to compare.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    My Gen4 gun hasn't had a malfunction yet and I've got around 3k downrange. I still don't like Glocks and I hate the texture of the thing so much that I took sandpaper to it.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    A Glock is pretty much a Glock, whether you feel the changes made to the Gen4 series is an improvement or not is probably going to be your call since the changes didn't make an incredibly reliable gun more incredibly reliable.

The larger mag release button is a huge improvement and I like the back strap system they have, too. I like the M&P's version slightly more since it changes more than just the length of the grip but the entire grip area itself. The texture change on the stippling is more of a personal preference; I like the Gen 3 version better but it may be because I've shot my Gen 3 Glocks so much more. Overall, I do think it was a move in the right direction, they've still kept their product under $600 ($550 in many cases with the Gen 4) and you get a 3rd mag to boot. No matter what some may say it is very hard to beat a Glock.

huskymt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Nevada
    500+ rounds through my Gen 4 G23 with no problems and it has the old recoil spring (have not received the new style from Glock yet). I do like the fit and feel better on the Gen 4 over my Gen 3, but that’s just my :twocents:.....

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I had a Gen 4 G17 that was early on in production. It had a Feb. 2010 date code listed on it. This was before they changed out the recoil assembly. I had the old AND updated recoil assembly, and honestly couldn't tell a bit of difference. Even with lighter 115gr ball ammo.

Some folks told me they had problems with the slide returning to battery when shooting light loads. I think it was due to the stiff recoil assemblies installed on earlier models. But for me, not one hiccup. Your mileage may vary though, of course.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It seems a little early to give a final verdict on a gun as new as the Gen 4 Glocks.

I agree witht that.The changes of the Gen 4 compared to the Gen 3 makes it a all new gun.
    My next Glock will be a Gen 3, because they work, I will have to wait more to see what happens with the Gen 4.

It's not like they just changed the color, they changed the in internals so that's a new design and it will take time to see if it's reliable.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I may be selling 2 gen3 9mm glocks, looking at a couple gen4's the 35 and a 20 if it ever releases. anyone have a schedule for the glocks still to get the gen 4 treatment?

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    Premier Arms in Brownsburg has done an extensive test with a gen 4 Glock 17. The last update I recall they had ran in excess of 3,500rds and had only encountered a few minor hiccups. I know they replaced the factory recoil spring for an exact replacement shortly after the test began. There have been some complaints the gen 4 springs cause failures due to excessive tension. The recoil springs in the gen 4's are nothing new they have been used in the sub compacts for quite some time. Although the gen 4 is their first crack at it in every model. In my personal experience I fired 1,500 rds with my gen 4 19 with 0 ftf before I sold it off and converted to .45's.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I have shot a gen 2 and a gen 3. I personally am not a fan of the gen 4 (again, never shot one) because I feel like they were trying to "fix" something that wasn't broken.

I want at least 3 more glocks in my collection someday (gotta get the whole set of .40S&W :) 27, 24, and 23), and I plan on all of them being gen 3 :twocents:

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    QUOTE=Jtgarner;2247353]I have shot a gen 2 and a gen 3. I personally am not a fan of the gen 4 (again, never shot one) because I feel like they were trying to "fix" something that wasn't broken.

I want at least 3 more glocks in my collection someday (gotta get the whole set of .40S&W :) 27, 24, and 23), and I plan on all of them being gen 3 :twocents:[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with you on this one. The glock was already reliable and accurate prior to the gen 4. I have a gen 3 36 and a gen 3 23 at the moment. I liked the feel of my gen 4 a bit more, but the gen 3's have never failed me. I never had any issues with my gen 4, but I know i will never have any issues with my 3's.

shooter651

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    I had a major failure on my original Gen 4 G23.. (pics are under my profile) Sent it back and Glock replaced.. haven't have a major issue yet..

I personally like the Gen 4 ergonomics and stippling. I just ran my Gen 4 through a pistol course and when I switched back to the Gen 3 the grip felt larger and slick.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I like my Gen4 G17, never had a problem and it is the first release version. I did recently order the free replacement spring even though the original has not caused me any issues.

Top Bottom