• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    nice gun..EXPENSIVE tho....around 600.00 new...and they are still being made, a cheaper verson is the smith and wesson 99(frame made by smith and slide made by walther) but the s&w is no longer made

hope this helps

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    I have the joy of having the PPQ. Yes, it is a bit more expensive, but worth every single penny. Great ergonomics, fantastic trigger, completely ambidextrous, what's not to like.Good luck in your search.

ryan3326

Marksman
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I have a P99 QA and absolutely love it. I shoot this gun better than any other that I own. The QA refers to the quick action trigger. I read alot of reports from guys that didn't like it - but it is light and very crisp and I wish some of my other guns had it.

I am also a big fan of the decocker.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Had one, don't miss it. Ergos were terrific and it "disappeared" when I carried it, went bang every time and the sights were average. I hated the trigger though, which is more important to me than the other things.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My P99 is easily my most accurate semi auto pistol. I don't have a problem with the trigger and the ergonomics are very good. My only complaint is that the gun has a high bore axis and that makes it torque up and to the right when firing it. So recoil is a bit flippy and follow up shots are not as quick. But if I was given the option of keeping only one pistol it would be my P99.

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    I have a P-99 and absolutely love it!!!!! Period.
    That said, we are all different. Your friend needs to hold one - or lots of guns - if he hasn't yet. I went to the 1500 and held every gun there that I was interested in before I bought it. Yes, it was a little more expensive but, a no brainer considering the reviews I had read and how it felt.
    For me, every time I pick mine up, I absolutely smile with way it feels in my hand. It couldn't be better. But again, that is me and my hand. The feel means a great deal to the person who is using it. Next to actual performing, which mine does well in shooting IDPA, it is the most important thing.
    Also, make sure the gun FITS the purpose that you are going to use it for. I carry a smaller gun daily but the 99 does conceal well. It's just not practical to carry it with what I do.
    High marks from me.
    Good luck.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    PPQ is a dream. It is my EDC. Smooth trigger action, sights are dialed in straight from the factory. First time I held it, I wanted to take it home and make sweet, sweet love to it.

The P99 is okay, but I'm just not used to a gun fitting to my hand perfectly out of the box. The mag release seems built for my finger dexterity,

The ONLY negative thing so far that I have found with the PPQ, is that getting holsters for it is still a bit on the tough side, I got a generic Uncle Mike's OWB holster until I can find something I like. Generally it'll fit anything that a P99 will (including P99 mags, or so I hear), but the trigger guard is JUST enough of a different shape to make it touch and go depending on the holster.

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    The P99 is okay, but I'm just not used to a gun fitting to my hand perfectly out of the box. The mag release seems built for my finger dexterity,

TaunTaun,
    I'm not trying to be critcal here, by no means, but, I'm not sure what you mean??
    I guess it really doesn't matter but I was just curious. We are definitely on the sme page on Walthers! I do love mine!
    Later buddy...

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    What I was saying was:

I don't have any complaints about the P99.

BUT, the PPQ fit my hand right out of the box with the mid-size backstrap.

The ambidextrous lever mag release on the bottom of the trigger guard was innate to me the first time I handled one in the store.

I typically have a hard time with larger handled firearms when trying to reach across the grip to a button release for the mag. The only one I've found so far that was even halfway comfortable was the Glock 23. Even the Glock 27 was a bit of a stretch. And my military experience with the Beretta 92's were terrible, most of the time I had to hit it with my off hand, which always made me a bit slower on the reload.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    P99's are still available, they haven't gone off the market. PPQ's are the new model that Walther introduced here recently. PPQ is based off just about everything good and true from earlier models and incorporated into a modern day sword of vengeance and glory. The clouds break and a halo'ed beam of illuminates my right hand every time I pull it from my holster. Even indoors.

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Not sure abouit the PPQ but the 99 only comes in 9mm as far as I know. You might check the Walther site. They have great info and I haven't been there in awhile. There is also a Walther forum that can give you an enormous amount of info!
    S&W has basically the same gun except they make different uppers and have a .40. That could be it. (??) Also the grips are just slightly different and I would have to give the edge to the Walther. (the grip has a "trough" so to speak for your finger tips and fleshy part of your palm under your fingers. I am a blacksmith/coppersmith and groove out my hammer handles the same way so I am partial. The grips also have small "bumps" that aid in grip. Very nice!)
    If you are interested in one, by all means, check them out and hold one. Or better yet, if you can find one to shoot that would be better yet. You're welcome to take mine out for a test drive but I live in no mans land. So.East Hoosierville.
    Bottom line: try to try out ALL that you are interested in! My opinion is, if it feels good to you, you will be more apt to shoot it more and in tern shoot better. (my guess in TaunTaun should be a National Champion one day! ;))
    All the best!

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Not sure abouit the PPQ but the 99 only comes in 9mm as far as I know. You might check the Walther site. They have great info and I haven't been there in awhile. There is also a Walther forum that can give you an enormous amount of info!
    S&W has basically the same gun except they make different uppers and have a .40. That could be it. (??) Also the grips are just slightly different and I would have to give the edge to the Walther. (the grip has a "trough" so to speak for your finger tips and fleshy part of your palm under your fingers. I am a blacksmith/coppersmith and groove out my hammer handles the same way so I am partial. The grips also have small "bumps" that aid in grip. Very nice!)
    If you are interested in one, by all means, check them out and hold one. Or better yet, if you can find one to shoot that would be better yet. You're welcome to take mine out for a test drive but I live in no mans land. So.East Hoosierville.
    Bottom line: try to try out ALL that you are interested in! My opinion is, if it feels good to you, you will be more apt to shoot it more and in tern shoot better. (my guess in TaunTaun should be a National Champion one day! ;))
    All the best!

The P99 also comes in 40 S&W. As for the gun put it this way.. if you want something that feels like a traditional da/sa then go for the P99AS, if you want a DAO gun similar to a revolver trigger then go for the P990..or if you want a Glock type trigger then as others have said go for the Walther PPQ.

Also here is some info you can read to know the differences. :D

PPQ and P99 review

Walther PPQ & P99 AS Gun Reviews

P99 [Q] vs [AS] vs [QA] vs [DAO]

P99 [Q] vs [AS] vs [QA] vs [DAO] - WaltherForums

Walther P99 and PPQ comparison.

walthercomp

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Have a friend looking to possibly buy a Walther P99 and is looking to me for info about them. Does anyone have any info that may be helpful to me?

My local shop has 6 of them all in 9, 40, and 45. There S&Ws priced in the $450 dollar range if he is for sure wanting one the 1.5 hour drive could be worth it if one cant be found in your area

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Also worth mentioning I had a friend who located a Police trade in S&W99 in 40 with the AS trigger and night sights along with 3 hi cap mags priced at $379 before taxes. Something else to think about if you don't mind owning a police trade in.

Top Bottom