• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I had an interesting trip to the range last night. Without all the gory details suffice to say that the barrel of my 6906 failed. In looking for a replacement online this morning I found one that said it was the "older version with smaller hood". Can anyone educate me on this? I don't want to sink money into the wrong barrel and I can't seem to find any specific information about this. Thanks in advance,
    BA

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    Sorry to hear about your failure, and I don't know much about colts.

I am interested in the details of your barrel failure.

I hope no one was hurt.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    at some point S&W started making the chamber area a little longer & having a slot in the top so you can see if there is a chambered round..
    that might be what they are talking about..

but what is a barrel failure? A Kboom! ? is your frame ok? anything that can damage the barrel of a 3rd gen s&w will risk messing up the frame..
    BTW the 3rd gen parts are the same on several guns.. a 3913 barrel will fit...

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    i just checked Numrich , there is no ser # break for barrels so what ever your find was talking about does not effect the barrel..
    if it is a 69xx gun a 69xx barrel will fit..

Also, they are sold out.. so your best bet would be call S&W ...

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    S&W surprisingly still has lots of parts for 3rd Gen Smith autos. Definitely check with them. Whenever you have time, I would like to hear the details of the failure. *Every* manufacturer has guns that fail for some odd reason - I'm not looking to bash - but I can't say I've ever heard of a 3rd Gen failing.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    S&W surprisingly still has lots of parts for 3rd Gen Smith autos. Definitely check with them. Whenever you have time, I would like to hear the details of the failure. *Every* manufacturer has guns that fail for some odd reason - I'm not looking to bash - but I can't say I've ever heard of a 3rd Gen failing.

^^^^^^What he said, I have never heard of a barrel failure on a 59 or 69 series S&W>

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It was a normal range trip. I was planning on putting a hundred rounds of WWB through my 6906. On the second magazine I had a FTE which I have never experienced before with this gun. I checked the gun. Everything seemed to be ok. I then had another FTE on the next round. Then I had a misfire. I checked the gun and attempted to refire. The barrel bulged and the slide locked up on the barrel. After a difficult disassembly it was obvious that the barrel had failed as it was bulged out and when looking inside you could see a ring where the rifling in the bore had, I don't know how to say it, parted.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    sounds like you had a squib , followed by a full charge.. you ringed the barrel..
    have the gun checked out by a good gunsmith before you try to fire it again...

call s&w and just order a new barrel..
    but remember, check everything when you have jam..
    that first round put a bullet part way down barrel, the follow up shots shoved another into it... you are lucky the barrel did not fail, or you would be posting about your trip to hand surgery..

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    factory ammo has the same risk as any other.. you want to be sure how your gun feels every time you fire it.. if something is wrong. STOP, and check the gun...
    once you shoot a few thousand rounds you will know what a squib feels & sounds like..

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    If you're on the S&W forum also, Birds away asked the same question. One of the forum gurus, Fastbolt, gave a pretty exhaustive answer. Probably not proper for me to copy/paste, but if you're interested, you might want to check it out.

dondavis3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    DFW area
    Sorry you had a problem with your 6906.

I've got a S&W 5906 and love the gun.

SW59069mm.jpg

I've been lucky and never had any problems with my S&W 6906

DSC_0138.jpg

Both have been fine guns for me & my family.

Solid as a rock.

:cool:

Top Bottom