• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • awilson82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    No very and they are heavy and bulky for carry use. Plus they are butt ugly. If I were you Id look into spending just a little more and getting somthing better. Hell a used Makarov or walther clone would be a big step up and near the same money.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    A friend of mine has one. he started carrying it when he was doing cable disconnects. he said its very reliable. It goes bang every time and if need be it could probably be used as a hammer.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Never had an issue with mine eating ammo over the last few years. Would recommend them to anyone who didn't care about how ugly or bulky they are.

dpbstevens

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2011
    Akron
    I would say it wouldn't be a problem they seem to have to issues firing every time you need it too and if you can't hit anything then use it to hit someone with it bulky thing.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I never had a reliability issue with mine, I just found it too bulky to comfortably carry. Also it only held 8 rounds in the regular magazine and 10 in the extended, so you don't get to carry as many rounds as most 9mm's.

If I may ask, what are you currently carrying and what are your reasons for wanting to step down to a hi-point?

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    True story:

My uncle lives in Illinois and owns 2 in 9mm. We went to visit him last summer and decided to shoot a few rounds while we were there. He asked if I'd like to shoot his Hi-point, and I agreed. With the first magazine I could only manage to get 2 rounds off in a row without having a failure to feed. I suspected a faulty mag so we tried the other one with similar results. That's when he said.....wait for it............"Maybe it just needs to warm up."

It was everything I could do not to lose myself laughing so hard. He laid the pistol on the tailgate of his truck to sit in the sun, I handed him my edc rock island, and he learned what a "reliable" pistol really involved. They are inexpensive, and a lot of people claim to have good luck with them, but I will not spend my money on a Hi-point pistol of any caliber.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Bersa, Rock Island, Kel-Tec, there are many other makers out there that have inexpensive guns that have less issues with reliability, and are easier to carry. For not a lot more than a new high point, one can probably find a used Smith Airweight, or even a Sigma.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I used to test-fire a variety on handguns at work as part of our IBIS program, and had occasion to handle and fire several Hi-Point pistols. They were indeed bulkier and heavier than other handguns on the table, and the triggers were probably the worst I've ever seen on any handgun in 30+ years of recreational shooting, and 24 years of law enforcement. I'd pass on the Hi-Point without hesitation.

buckfever90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I carry a smith and wesson SD 9. And i carry it everywhere and some places dont allow guns so i leave it in my truck. I hate leaving it in my truck because there are a lot of break ins in my area, so i would like a less expensive gun.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    No very and they are heavy and bulky for carry use. Plus they are butt ugly. If I were you Id look into spending just a little more and getting somthing better. Hell a used Makarov or walther clone would be a big step up and near the same money.

Is this from personal experience or everything you've read from other people who have never fired one?

I would say it wouldn't be a problem they seem to have to issues firing every time you need it too and if you can't hit anything then use it to hit someone with it bulky thing.

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

How many times have you had to draw your Hi Point and it failed to fire in a self defense situation?

These are typical response from people who have never owned one and simply believe everything they read on the internet.

OP they are actually pretty reliable if you talk to owners who have them you'll find that out. Granted they do have somewhat of a break in period as some seem to need adjustments to the mag lips and some seem to need the feed ramp polished. A lot has to do with the ammo you are using as well. Here are a couple articles and reviews you should read. And yes I own one and carry it.

Hi Point C9 9mm – A Good, Cheap Gun

Trying to Break A Hi Point - Handguns

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I just dont understand why they are so large. They obviously arent meant for concealed carry, and the niche for people who want a cheap target pistol on the wouldnt seem big. My question is, that if it only holds 8 rounds, why not use a revolver instead, since revolvers are certainly smaller and lighter than these bricks? The whole point of a semi auto is to hold more rounds, and be more concealable--hi point accomplishes neither. I dont see how they stay in business, or why cant they simply make the them smaller? This is probably the last gun I would ever buy, it just doesnt make sense.

I would recommend a used old 38 revolver.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I just dont understand why they are so large. They obviously arent meant for concealed carry, and the niche for people who want a cheap target pistol on the wouldnt seem big. My question is, that if it only holds 8 rounds, why not use a revolver instead, since revolvers are certainly smaller and lighter than these bricks? The whole point of a semi auto is to hold more rounds, and be more concealable--hi point accomplishes neither. I dont see how they stay in business, or why cant they simply make the them smaller? This is probably the last gun I would ever buy, it just doesnt make sense.

Good point, I don't understand why the .45 and .40 are so large but, the 9mm is basically the same size as almost any other 9mm on the market with the exception of the pocket 9's. Granted it weighs a little more than most but that is part of the design being a blowback to operate properly it has to have a heavy slide. Weight wise it doesn't bother me a bit and it actually feels great int he hand. Would I buy one over a nice 1911? If money were no issue then absolutely not. Would I buy one if that's all my budget could afford? Absolutely!

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie

That's news to me... considering many people carry semi-auto's that aren't easily concealed (such as full sized Glocks and HK's) all of the time. Also, 8 and 10 rounds are still more than the 6 in a revolver. I know they make some 7-8 round revolvers but most are 6.

Also I know I can reload my semi-auto much faster than a revolver. You just dump the mag, there's no messing with shells that get stuck on the way out of the cylinder and trying to line up the speedloader (that is if you even carry one) with the cylinder. You just drop one mag while you grab the spare and slam the spare in, slingshot the slide and you're good to go once more.

Another thing is that sights on a revolver are usually set, and in my limited experience not very straight. While sights on most semi-auto's are adjustable (even hi-point). :)

mike63502

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    If you are getting a handgun for self defense, why would you risk it on a gun that is suspect at all. For a couple of hundred dollars you can get a much better built gun that will last your lifetime. i dont care who you are you can come up with enough money to buy a nice gun for your personal use if it is important to you.

Top Bottom