Springfield GI 1911 - Series 70 or 80 extractor?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Before posting this, I used my Google-Fu, but still ended up pretty confused. :n00b:

From what I've read, I believe my SA 1911 is a Series 70, but can use a Series 80 extractor. Also, guns that are Series 80, CANNOT use Series 70 extractors. Correct? :dunno:

The reason I ask, is because I'm planning on getting a Wilson Combat Bulletproof Extractor, and I'm not sure which series to get. If both series work, any reason I should choose one over the other?

Finally, I've read that Wilson Combat Bulletproof Extractors take some "modifications" to work in SA 1911's. Is this true? If so, is it a task I could handle, or would it be better left to a gunsmith?

Thanks!
    John

Springfield fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Seymour
    Your Springer GI is a '70 series so you will want a 70 series extractor. Either one will work. As far as modifying the extractor, I never had a problem with Wilson extractors not fitting. Only thing I can think of is they probably wont fit flush with the rear of the slide.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Read this:

Series 70 / Series 80 extractor differences - 1911Forum

Your particular answer is a few posts down, but read the whole thing. Perhaps, even join up at that site. It sounds like you need some education, especially before you go tinkering with a 1911.

Thanks for the info, but that still does not answer my question on what series I should buy for my 1911 and why. :dunno: I know they're different, and I believe my SA 1911 can use both, but why should I pick one over the other? :dunno:

Your Springer GI is a '70 series so you will want a 70 series extractor. Either one will work. As far as modifying the extractor, I never had a problem with Wilson extractors not fitting. Only thing I can think of is they probably wont fit flush with the rear of the slide.

Again, if my SA can use both, why should I use one instead of the other? Any benefits / drawbacks?

Springfield fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Seymour
    Thanks for the info, but that still does not answer my question on what series I should buy for my 1911 and why. :dunno: I know they're different, and I believe my SA 1911 can use both, but why should I pick one over the other? :dunno:

Again, if my SA can use both, why should I use one instead of the other? Any benefits / drawbacks?

The series 80 extractor has a large notch cut out of it to make way for the firing pin block plunger, so the series 80 has less steel and could be weaker. I have never heard of an 80 series extractor losing tension but if your gun can take the original 70 extractor then why not be sure. It is just a personal preference to go with the 70. There is no reason to get the 80 because your gun doesn't have the firing pin safety.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Seriously, Goober, you're a Kuhnhausen books away from detail stripping your 1911. Be patient.

:scratch:

Wait, I think I get...

Nope. Lost it. :dunno:

*EDIT* - My Google-Fu came through on this one, and in combination of your last post, I think it get it. Sorry I don't know everything about my 1911? :dunno: I break it down after every shoot to clean it, but only once have I ventured into taking the slide fully apart, as for me, that is not in the cleaning routine. I had some questions, which Google searches still left me fuzzy, so I thought, "Hey. I've got this great forum I'm a part of. Maybe they would be able to better answer my questions?" The link you provided did nothing more than show me a picture of the two different series and confirm what I had already read. Sure, that's good to know, but it doesn't help me understand why, if my gun would work with either series, I should pick a series 70 or 80.

Last edited:

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Have a gunsmith order the parts, and do the install.

I copied this from the link at MidwayUSA, that you provided:

Series 70 and 80 1911 Extractors:
    The difference between Series 70 and Series 80 extractors is a plunger retainer stud machined into the Series 80 extractor. This retainer stud holds the firing pin lock plunger in place on Series 80 slides. All extractors which are designed to work in a Series 80 1911 will also work in all Series 70 guns, however extractors designed for Series 70 guns lack the machined cut which allows the firing pin lock plunger to be installed and therefore can not be used in Series 80 guns.
    Application Charts & Information

Does your 1911 have a problem extracting spent cartridges now? How many rounds has it cycled?

I just want to be sure you understand that there is more involved here, than just changing out to an H2 buffer, like all the cool kids have in their AR-15's, or swapping for a NY1 trigger spring in your Glock.

These links might help:

Tuning your 1911 Extractor

Extractor Tuning Tips

Tuning a 1911 extractor - THR

Do I need to tune my extractor (1911)?

Extractor tuning for a 1911 ???

How to properly "tune" a 1911 extractor?

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Have a gunsmith order the parts, and do the install.

Does your 1911 have a problem extracting spent cartridges now? How many rounds has it cycled?

I just want to be sure you understand that there is more involved here, than just changing out to an H2 buffer, like all the cool kids have in their AR-15's, or swapping for a NY1 trigger spring in your Glock.

These links might help:

Tuning your 1911 Extractor

Extractor Tuning Tips

Tuning a 1911 extractor - THR

Do I need to tune my extractor (1911)?

Extractor tuning for a 1911 ???

How to properly "tune" a 1911 extractor?

I've cycled a few thousand rounds through the 1911, not any extreme amount of shooting though. The problem is, it has a tendency to not fully eject a spent casing. The casing gets stuck in the extractor and jams the gun up. I had someone much more familiar with 1911's take a look at it and he said my extractor was bent. He did his best to bend it back as a temporary fix and advised me to replace the extractor with a Wilson Combat Bulletproof Extractor.

Thanks for the links! I'll definitely look them over!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Basically, you don't need a series 80.

Series 80 have less steel and thus are less weight, but also allow more area for gunk to build up and might require more frequent cleaning.

The best thing to do is have a gunsmith do the fitting. If you don't know what you are doing you could potentially ruin a good part.

The extractor should have enough tension to hold an empty case and only drop it if you pretty much slap the slide...and a loaded cartridge should fall free with a slight movement.

Extractors aren't straight btw. Have you checked to make sure your ejector isn't wonky, and have you replaced the recoil spring recently? If so, your spring might be too strong for your loads and not allowing the case to hit the ejector.

Also, your questions were answered before. If you have further questions on the 1911. Look up kuhnhausens books, and also read what 1911tuner has to say on m1911.org.

A lot of people are familiar with 1911s considering they've been around so long. Your extractor might be bent perfectly for required tensioning. If you file wrong, the entire timing of the gun could end up wrong. The cartridge. May not slide under and lock under the extractor. It might be too loose and have double feed/FTE issues. You could over tension it and break an ejector.

The 1911 is an awesome piece of machinery. As such, they have very tight tolerances that must be maintained for the gun to function.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Have you recently changed anything? Did your buddy look at the ejector? Was it bent or broken?

1911 extractors are always bent. That's part and parcel of the retention of a cartridge.

to answer why you should use a series 70: your gun is 70. As such, you have no need for weight cuttting. The missing material will be another spot for carbon/gunk to build up.

Believe it or not, that channel should be cleaned out frequently, maybe not every trip, but maybe every other.

1911s have tight tolerances, such that it might not be the extractor that is the issue. Was this all of a sudden? At the end of each session shooting? Specific round in the mag?

How is your grip on the gun? Limp wristing?

Have you recently replaced a recoil spring? Is the ejector ok? Handloads/factory ammo?

I know quite a bit about the 1911, and own the kuhnhausen books. I would not do an extractor myself as it is an integral part of the timing of the gun. Too short: failure to hook and the extractor slams into the rim of the cartridge. Too long: FTEs, double feed.

The bend of the extractor is what gives you the tension to rip and toss a spent cartridge. It should hold a empty case and drop it only when hit in your palm (shaking and it holds). A full cartridge should drop with a couple shakes.

Take pics and post and I will try to help.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom