• ...and so much more!
  • wiseinvestor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Noblesville
    Diamond Back - DB9 Beware (Cautious)

So I bought a DB9 last fall just because the slim design and it's light weight made me want to give it a go. Here are my thoughts. It is the easiest carry gun I have ever put in my jean's pocket. It does not give me the same feeling of security that my glock 19 does. Shorter range ,less reliable and you are limited to 124 grain and only standard pressure ammo. But something is always better than nothing imho.

The day I bought it I went to the DiamondBack website to order the Knurled pin 4 pack and it was out of stock. All DB9s with serial numbers under YA9000 have a recall on the defective pins that tend to slide during use. Diamondback claims they will replace them for free. However, they have been out of stock for almost a year. They allow you to enter your email to be notified when they are available. Dont hold your breath. I have never gotten an email and I signed up months and months ago.

Customer service will not answer your phone call. As I write this I have been on hold for 29 min waiting for someone to pick up.

It is a shame... I was wishing this startup the best of luck.

Shawn

Last edited:

wiseinvestor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Noblesville
    Did Lock Tight not work for you?

Sure it does... and you make a good point. It is not affecting the performance of the firearm, but I feel like I should be able to have the pins from manufacture. I feel as if they should make good on that, And at least answer the phone. I would hate it if I really needed something important from them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Contact this guy. He will take care of you.

Scott C. Perin
    Diamondback Customer Service

info@diamondbackfirearms.com

Tell him your situation, and ask him about getting all the latest upgrades. They've added an additional frame pin above the trigger now, as well as upgrading their mag follower (although you may have the new mag follower depending on your serial #). Tell him Doggydaddy from Diamondbacktalk sent you! :)

wiseinvestor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Noblesville

Scott C. Perin

Tell him your situation, and ask him about getting all the latest upgrades. They've added an additional frame pin above the trigger now, as well as upgrading their mag follower (although you may have the new mag follower depending on your serial #). Tell him Doggydaddy from Diamondbacktalk sent you! :)

Thank you Doggy Daddy. I will give that a try! ...and report back.

StrongSide

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    NWI

Scott C. Perin

:yesway: This is why INGO rocks. A close friend was looking into diamondbacks. Update this once it is solved, please!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    :yesway: This is why INGO rocks. A close friend was looking into diamondbacks. Update this once it is solved, please!
    I had an early DB380 and it had a few issues at first, but they basically replaced everything but the slide and barrel and it was flawless after that. I only got rid of it because I wasn't carrying it and it was too expensive to shoot a lot. I hope they continue to improve the DB9. It really does push the envelope on size and weight.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    The OP's screen name would suggest never a complaint post ;)
    :yesway:.

never had an issue with my DB. id like to see where you cant shoot +P ammunition. i know the +P+ is out of the question, but have seen +P reliably work. and what is this about "you are only limited to 124 grain"? please OP, enlighten me.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    :yesway:.

never had an issue with my DB. id like to see where you cant shoot +P ammunition. i know the +P+ is out of the question, but have seen +P reliably work. and what is this about "you are only limited to 124 grain"? please OP, enlighten me.
    DB recommends 124 grain or lighter. The heavier rounds have caused cycling/feed issues for a lot of DB owners. The tolerances are so tight on these little guns that they can be kind of finicky with ammo choices. They state specifically that use of +P or non-recommended ammo (think reloads) will void the warranty. From their site:

Notice: Diamondback Firearms does not recommend using 9mm Bullets above 124 gr or any Ammunition that is rated NATO, +P, +P+ or anything else that is higher than SAAMI Standard pressure 9mm. The DB9 is the smallest and lightest 9mm available on the market and was not designed for the abuse and damage these rounds cause. Use of non-recommended ammunition in a Diamondback Firearms will void the warranty.

Honestly, many of the problems I've seen people have I think may be related to heavy use. These aren't range guns. When I see some folks say that they put thousands of rounds a month through their guns and then wonder why they break I have to shake my head. This isn't just limited to DB. I don't know if it's still true, but at one time, even Rorbaugh ($1000 dollar "pocket guns") basically said to shoot it to make sure it's working, then put it in your pocket. I wouldn't go to that extreme, but with the tight tolerances, light weight and MIM parts, these guns are NOT 1911's. Just my :twocents:.

Last edited:

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    DB recommends 124 grain or lighter. The heavier rounds have caused cycling/feed issues for a lot of DB owners. The tolerances are so tight on these little guns that they can be kind of finicky with ammo choices. They state specifically that use of +P or non-recommended ammo (think reloads) will void the warranty. From their site:

Notice: Diamondback Firearms does not recommend using 9mm Bullets above 124 gr or any Ammunition that is rated NATO, +P, +P+ or anything else that is higher than SAAMI Standard pressure 9mm. The DB9 is the smallest and lightest 9mm available on the market and was not designed for the abuse and damage these rounds cause. Use of non-recommended ammunition in a Diamondback Firearms will void the warranty.
    that is some downright garbage. dont make a gun that i have to tailor a round to the gun. it should be the other way around. make stronger alloys, make the slide wider by 1/8th of an inch, etc etc. thanks for the information. ill be sure to steer clear of these. some companies.. :scratch:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    that is some downright garbage. dont make a gun that i have to tailor a round to the gun. it should be the other way around. make stronger alloys, make the slide wider by 1/8th of an inch, etc etc. thanks for the information. ill be sure to steer clear of these. some companies.. :scratch:
    See my edited post... And didn't you say you've been happy with yours?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    in the .380 flavor, yes. i have been considering the 9mm however. not soo much anymore.
    I think they still have some work to do on the DB9 frankly, but I do think they're a good company, and hopefully they'll get everything worked out. That said, I doubt that they'll ever be made for use with the +P/ +P+ ammo. In order to make them strong enough for that they'll be giving up any weight and size advantage they may have. :dunno: Guess it's a trade-off.

wiseinvestor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Noblesville

There is a good reason that this gun has ammo limitations. It is the lightest, smallest 9 I have ever seen. It does not have a saftey or slide catch lever. Honestly it looks like a little glock. I'm not suggesting not to give this company a try. But just to know you will have to go through their growing pains with them.

wiseinvestor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Noblesville
    I think they still have some work to do on the DB9 frankly, but I do think they're a good company, and hopefully they'll get everything worked out. That said, I doubt that they'll ever be made for use with the +P/ +P+ ammo. In order to make them strong enough for that they'll be giving up any weight and size advantage they may have. :dunno: Guess it's a trade-off.

I agree that Diamondback is doing something the market needed. Slim single stack 9m to rival the poplularity of the .380s and other ultralight pocket guns. I love having the 9m in my pocket instead of my .380. And the prototype for their new tactical shotgun looks awesome. I really hope this company can grow/make a profit and keep designing new products. But it reminds me of a restaurant that has a grand opening before it is ready. I don't care how good the chef is if the waiter screws up my order.

Thanks!

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I agree that Diamondback is doing something the market needed. Slim single stack 9m to rival the poplularity of the .380s and other ultralight pocket guns. I love having the 9m in my pocket instead of my .380. And the prototype for their new tactical shotgun looks awesome. I really hope this company can grow/make a profit and keep designing new products. But it reminds me of a restaurant that has a grand opening before it is ready. I don't care how good the chef is if the waiter screws up my order.

Sometimes you have no choice, as not being open means no money coming in. So you have to open with what you have and improve from there. That is how all the Japanese and not Korean car companies did it. Make utility, boxy stuff for cheap. Keep the lights on and improve.

glock212327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I have been wanting to get the 380 but it appears that most reviews I read say they are junk. How much bigger is the 9mm? i'm just wanting something to throw into a pocket and go.

Last edited:

JodyR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    After going the DB 9 route myself earlier this year...and the thing never shooting right or reliable...I sold mine and won't buy another !

Top Bottom