• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Much as I hate to admit it the Corps gets it right more often than not. ;)

Essentially going with a mildly tuned RAIL GUN, to replace their well loved but well worn MEU/SOC 1911s for FORCE RECON and MARSOC assigned Marines.
    073012mc_Colt_pistol_800.jpg

Well Done Devil Dogs!

Marines Pick Colt for New Pistol | Military.com

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Staying with? they were runing kimbers and springfeilds, that Firing pin safety is going to drive the armorers nuts. Eventually they will get smart and just pick up Glock 22's like many other special forces groups are switching to.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Certainly agree that a strong case can be made for the Glock or other higher capacity platforms (226 and HK45C as NSW is going with). That said, an equally strong case can be made for the inherent shootability/accuracy of the 1911 platform for units that require guilt edge accuracy for precision CQB type shooting. As with all things there are trade offs.

MEU/SOC have utilized Springer and Kimber and Caspian in addition to existing Colts as complete base 1911's and replacement frames/slides to build up their pistols and keep them running.

At the end of the day the High End operators will go with the platform they prefer. I am certain that the Corps is comfortable with this choice and will keep these running for a long time to come. I am also certain they will serve thier users well in harms way!

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I'd honsetly like to see them try the FNH FNS competiton, or the M&P .40 L with thumb saftey and apex competition forward set sear trigger kit. I'd be hard pressed to believe they can't shoot as well with that as they could a 1911, with much less maintenance ( and I'm a glock guy)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Certainly agree that a strong case can be made for the Glock or other higher capacity platforms (226 and HK45C as NSW is going with). That said, an equally strong case can be made for the inherent shootability/accuracy of the 1911 platform for units that require guilt edge accuracy for precision CQB type shooting. As with all things there are trade offs.

MEU/SOC have utilized Springer and Kimber and Caspian in addition to existing Colts as complete base 1911's and replacement frames/slides to build up their pistols and keep them running.

At the end of the day the High End operators will go with the platform they prefer. I am certain that the Corps is comfortable with this choice and will keep these running for a long time to come. I am also certain they will serve thier users well in harms way!

We know how to do some things. ;)

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    In the interest of full disclosure, even though I am USN, I was trained by the Corps (Old school AOCS) so I do have a bias towards the USMC way of doing things. Does my heart good to see the Marines stay with a gun that served our country so well for so long. Semper Fi!

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    A private wordpress blog site is your reliable source?!?

I know there are units (particularly in the Army) that have/do use the Glocks. But to my knowledge they are a select few here and there (other than SOF). It's not a widely accepted/used platform across numerous units. To my knowledge (which I admit is more limited in terms of the Army) there were only a handful of units which fielded the Glocks across the board and I believe that was testing the platform. :dunno: SOC (SOCOM) units generally can field whatever they prefer.

The favorites of a majority of guys I've known were the Sig's and HK's. Marines don't always get the luxury of choosing whatever they want, but I do know a number who LOVE using the 1911 and wouldn't have it any other way even when they got to choose. :twocents:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    In the interest of full disclosure, even though I am USN, I was trained by the Corps (Old school AOCS) so I do have a bias towards the USMC way of doing things. Does my heart good to see the Marines stay with a gun that served our country so well for so long. Semper Fi!
    LOL, when the mag runs dry they still provide a good blunt force object.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    A private wordpress blog site is your reliable source?!?

I know there are units (particularly in the Army) that have/do use the Glocks. But to my knowledge they are a select few here and there (other than SOF). It's not a widely accepted/used platform across numerous units. To my knowledge (which I admit is more limited in terms of the Army) there were only a handful of units which fielded the Glocks across the board and I believe that was testing the platform. :dunno: SOC (SOCOM) units generally can field whatever they prefer.

The favorites of a majority of guys I've known were the Sig's and HK's. Marines don't always get the luxury of choosing whatever they want, but I do know a number who LOVE using the 1911 and wouldn't have it any other way even when they got to choose. :twocents:

wasn't claiming they were all doing anything, I suggested some were, I wasn't suggesting an army wide change, and the source really doesn't change the facts of the article does it?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    wasn't claiming they were all doing anything, I suggested some were, I wasn't suggesting an army wide change, and the source really doesn't change the facts of the article does it?
    If you wish to propose that it is fact and not some random internet posting simply trying to spread their rumors for whatever reason...yes.

I'm not trying to knock you or anything. My point was merely that a LOT of misconceptions, lies, and rumors get started and spread far and wide on the internet. Why do people do it? IDK, but they do. The sad part is that many believe whatever they read online as truth when in fact anyone can create and post whatever they want to on a "professional looking" website in minutes. Thereby making the source of the site important to its validity as well as other factors.

As far as Glocks go, there are many being used on active service. Mostly in the Army (that I know of). I've not heard of many, if any, other branches or SOF utilizing them much. At one time, I would have thought they would get more action in the service. That is, until they put out this new generation an started having all of the issues.

Personally, I think they are a good gun BUT they are no MORE or LESS reliable than any other quality design out there. I don't think they deserving of the cult like following they receive, but that's just IMO.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I'll admit they have and have had issues. it just seems a polymer framed .40 in a high cap flavor has been used to some extent. It also looks like this is a growing trend among the guys with options. Time will tell.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'll admit they have and have had issues. it just seems a polymer framed .40 in a high cap flavor has been used to some extent. It also looks like this is a growing trend among the guys with options. Time will tell.
    Well, time won't tell us anything necessarily. Simply because firearms, tactics, etc are an ever evolving science/art. Things change to improve effectiveness and they change according to the current obstacles or "battle field" and to fit the situation. They may or may not switch to Glocks. But the only thing that is certain is....it will change again later.

Top Bottom