• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I have a need for a pocket pistol and am wondering which ones to look at. Having never fired any of them it's a bit of a challenge. I'm going to do my best to try some out before making a decision, but I thought that perhaps some folks on here could share their experience with some.

So far I've just looked at the LCP/LC9/S&W Bodyguard. I like the idea of 9mm over .380, but .380 is sufficient. I'd prefer that it not be a revolver, but I'm not entirely opposed to the possibility.

So my order of priorities is like this:
    Reliability
    Ease of Concealment (WEIGHT highly important)
    Holster Options
    Caliber
    Price

A big perk would be a DA/SA trigger instead of DAO, but beggars can't be choosers :):

The purpose of this piece will be for carrying when I am unable to use my regular carry setup.

Last edited:

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have a need for a pocket pistol and am wondering which ones to look at. Having never fired any of them it's a bit of a challenge. I'm going to do my best to try some out before making a decision, but I thought that perhaps some folks on here could share their experience with some.

So far I've just looked at the LCP/LC9/S&W Bodyguard. I like the idea of 9mm over .380, but .380 is sufficient. I'd prefer that it not be a revolver, but I'm not entirely opposed to the possibility.

Reliability
    Ease of Concealment
    Holster Options
    Caliber
    Price

A big perk would be a DA/SA trigger instead of DAO, but beggars can't be choosers :):

The purpose of this piece will be for carrying when I am unable to use my regular carry setup.

Pick up a decent Model 1934 Beretta and get a Robert Mika pocket holster.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Reliability
    Ease of Concealment
    Holster Options
    Caliber
    Price

Sounds like a J-frame revolver to me! :laugh: I know you said no revolvers but they really do conceal great. If you are close to Seymour you are welcome to shoot mine. I recently had a gunsmith stone the action and added a set of crimson trace grips. It is like a whole new gun and I find myself carrying it a lot more.

As far as a small 9mm, I really like the Kahr PM9. It would be my choice.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I find that I like my S&W Bodyguard .380 more and more, despite it not being on my original list to purchase. Sometimes deals come by that you just can't let pass by. I'll tell you though, my original choice was going to be either a Colt Mustang or a SIG P238, and both of those offer a SA trigger, per your stated preference.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Beretta Nano 9mm.

Around $400. Easy to conceal. It's a 9mm. It's a Beretta. I've not had a single FTF or FTE with mine. You can shoot hundreds of rounds through it at the range and your hand doesn't get sore. I think that's a major plus over most pocket pistols I've owned or shot. The slide stays back after the mag is empty. This has never failed for me either. I've found various holsters for it as well. I like my High Noon best. Mags for it are all metal.

The major con for it in my opinion is that I can't find any night sights for it.

VanillaThunder

Shooter
    Rating - 94.5%
    52   3   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I've been carrying my LCP for 3+ years now. I have the "stickopauli" holster, it disappears in whatever pants or shorts I am wearing. I carry everywhere, and ive never been "made". Its been reliable every time I've fired it. For concealed pocket carry, I don't think you could do much better.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I am walking around with a .357 magnum Ruger sp101 in my front pocket. It fits all of your criteria except for the "I'd prefer that it not be a revolver" part. It can have any level of power you want from anemic to irresponsible, it just depends on what you put in it.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I love my ruger Lcr 357....reliable...good price....nice trigger...plenty of holster options...and its a 357....nothing more to say!

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I have a need for a pocket pistol and am wondering which ones to look at. Having never fired any of them it's a bit of a challenge

I know you said no revolvers....but the fact is....you are only qualified for a revolver. Don't kill yourself by buying too much gun, OK? Just my :twocents:

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    I am currently pocket carrying a Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact. Its bulky and ridiculous-looking, but it holds an impressive amount of 9mm ammo and fits into a pair of cargo shorts well enough (you'll need the extra pockets since it'll fill your hip pocket and weigh enough to not want carry anything else on that side of your body). I don't use a holster since I can't find a holster that will fit this massively thick piece of metal and polymer. I do not recommend it for pocket carry; but you asked.

And just for full disclosure, I'm buying a CZ P07 Duty 9mm that has both more capacity and lighter weight to replace this massive, Red Dwarf-esque firearm for EDC.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a need for a pocket pistol and am wondering which ones to look at. Having never fired any of them it's a bit of a challenge

I know you said no revolvers....but the fact is....you are only qualified for a revolver. Don't kill yourself by buying too much gun, OK? Just my :twocents:

Not sure what made you type that. Just because the OP has not fired any of the pocket pistols does not mean he is incapable of using them. Also despite what other people have told you, snub nose revolvers are not automatically easier. I could make an aurgument either for or against them.

Crydaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I used to have a .380 bodyguard and Just picked up a sig p238. For me, I'm more comfortable shooting the sig. The recoil is not as strong as the SW and the trigger is a lot smoother. It also has better ergonomics.
    But for What they are made to be ( back up gun) , i might as well have saved the money and kept the SW.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Not sure what made you type that. Just because the OP has not fired any of the pocket pistols does not mean he is incapable of using them. Also despite what other people have told you, snub nose revolvers are not automatically easier. I could make an aurgument either for or against them.

I think he mistook 'never fired one of these pocket pistols' for 'never fired a gun'.

That couldn't be much further from the truth :):

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I am currently pocket carrying a Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact. Its bulky and ridiculous-looking, but it holds an impressive amount of 9mm ammo and fits into a pair of cargo shorts well enough (you'll need the extra pockets since it'll fill your hip pocket and weigh enough to not want carry anything else on that side of your body). I don't use a holster since I can't find a holster that will fit this massively thick piece of metal and polymer. I do not recommend it for pocket carry; but you asked.

And just for full disclosure, I'm buying a CZ P07 Duty 9mm that has both more capacity and lighter weight to replace this massive, Red Dwarf-esque firearm for EDC.

Neither of those fit the pocket pistol requirement. I already have a compact (M&P40c) that I carry when I can.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Sounds like a J-frame revolver to me! :laugh: I know you said no revolvers but they really do conceal great. If you are close to Seymour you are welcome to shoot mine. I recently had a gunsmith stone the action and added a set of crimson trace grips. It is like a whole new gun and I find myself carrying it a lot more.

As far as a small 9mm, I really like the Kahr PM9. It would be my choice.

Revolvers would be higher on my list if I had any DAO trigger experience. My only double action trigger training so far is the DA part of my DA/SA triggers, and most of those are about 10 lbs.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    i liked my lcp alot...sold it for financial reasons...if i were to get another pocket pistol id consider it again, though i may bump it up to an lc9 probably

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I carry a Polish Army P-64. It is all steel, easily slips into the pocket, DA/SA with a safety/decocker. Carries six+1 of 9x18 Makarov which is a bit better than .380 but not quite up to 9mm. It is extremely accurate at self defense ranges (8-10 yards), has been very reliable and...only cost $200. Hard to beat.

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    anyone got a comparison of the LC9 vs S&W Shield???? I too am looking for a pocket pistol... are they similiar in size and weight???

sorry to hijack the thread figured it is still on topic.

steveIU

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Beretta Nano 9mm.

Around $400. Easy to conceal. It's a 9mm. It's a Beretta. I've not had a single FTF or FTE with mine. You can shoot hundreds of rounds through it at the range and your hand doesn't get sore. I think that's a major plus over most pocket pistols I've owned or shot. The slide stays back after the mag is empty. This has never failed for me either. I've found various holsters for it as well. I like my High Noon best. Mags for it are all metal.

The major con for it in my opinion is that I can't find any night sights for it.
    To shoots4fun: Beretta just released night sights for the Nano on their website. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom