• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I have used Speer Gold Dots 180grain in my .40 M&P for a year now, what do you use for a defensive load and what is the best? There are always a lot of new bullets coming out these days and I feel like I am behind the times, Thanks!

Brandan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    West Side
    A few friends of mine are using Federal HST's in there G21s (9mm). I am looking to get a small batch of these for my G27 here soon and see how they shoot.

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    the best is kinda subjective, "the best, for what?"

ive shot alot of 155/165gr doubletap rounds with gold dots and they seem like they would do extremely well for defense, ive got no experience with federal hst's but they seem to do well also

my point of view is the lighter faster travelling bullets will expand faster with less risk of over penetration, and maybe a slightly larger wound channel

hope i never have to test that out

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Federal HST's are at the top of the performance chart today... who knows about tomorrow. No other round can match it for penetration, expansion, weight retention and jacket adhesion. You also cannot beat the price of HST ammunition. It is priced for the intended LEO market.

Read the following links to see how HST's compare to other premium ammunition. The tests were sponsored by Federal, but the testing was done by LE departments. LE - Wound Ballistics

I don't know of any other ammunition that will always do this...
    hsttacticalle40it0.gif

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Of course the best round is the 1 that hits the bad guy between the eyes ....
    speer gold dot is pretty much all i carry ...
    hornady has a new critical defense ammo out i hear good things about but its higher than hell

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I really dont think it matters all that much what load you use. If you hit them center of mass with such and such +p+ devastators and they dont drop, chances are they arent gonna drop with the whatchyacallit magnum exploding death dots either. Seriously dont get so riled up on what you hit them with, just get a good hit (or 2 or 3)

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    .40 doesnt suffer from "older designs" due to it's relative "newness". Its not like 9mm where there are still "iffy" bullets and bullet designs abound. Pretty much any premium bullet will do the job, heavier ones will promote improved penetration over the lighter bullets. Even the "value line" JHP will work as advertised.

For the home: Corbon 135gr JHP
    For out and about: Anything 155 or higher, preferably Gold Dots or Golden Sabres.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Handloads are a bad, bad idea for self defense ammo. If you are ever sued in a civil court over a self defense shooting, the attorney for the plaintiff would love to raise hell about how normal factory bullets were not deadly enough for you, so you had to make your own. We all know it's BS, but juries are not exactly known for their reasoning ability sometimes.

Besides, I don't see that one could achieve much better performance out of a handload in .40 than factory ammo, at least for self defense purposes. Double Tap ammo is pretty hot, and Federal HST's are top performers as well. IMPD uses Federal 165 grain Tactical Bonded, which has performed well for us.

I have to agree. While I load alot of SHTF ammo for pistol, I would not like the idea of carrying them currently. Its one of those things that you never know what they are going to pull. I have a feeling that if the focus is on the event, rather than the tools, then one should be fine. But it's rolling the dice, you never know...

Most of the events that I have looked at that regarded handloaded ammo even being brought up were questionable shoots. I have another feeling that if one just "I would like to speak to a lawyer before giving a statement about the situation, I was in fear for my life" and sticking to what the lawyer says, you should be fine. Gassing on about the powder charge used to the police during the report and using handloads in questionable shoots ("that guy flipped me off" or "he went for a gun!" no gun on his person stuff) will land people in jail. The famous 10mm case wasnt over what gun he used, it was mostly over the situation at hand. Guy shoots dog, then shoots dog owner with no real reason. Questionable!:dunno:

HSTs are the hot thing now. I remember when I carried .40, I would pick the still live Federal rounds the Metro accidentally leaves on the ground at Eagle Creek and carry them. Felt pretty comfortable that I was carrying a good round! :D

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    I'm talking about factory ammo, not reloading. I'm a gun newb (my Glock is my first) and so won't be even thinking about reloading for quite awhile.

FYI, I ordered some Speer Gold Dots 155 grain and Federal HST 165 grain last night on the web. Sooo much cheaper than going to a store!

How many potential SD rounds do you shoot before you feel comfortable with a round?
    I've already put about 60 Speer Gold Dots 155 grain throught it without a hiccup. It just seems like more than a hundred is pretty extreme but I know you can't put a price on your life.

Thanks for the help fella's!

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I really dont think it matters all that much what load you use. If you hit them center of mass with such and such +p+ devastators and they dont drop, chances are they arent gonna drop with the whatchyacallit magnum exploding death dots either. Seriously dont get so riled up on what you hit them with, just get a good hit (or 2 or 3)
    I agree with this a good bit. To me, the idea of using premium self-defense ammo is mainly for the increased percentage that it will go bang, compared to other stuff. However, if you can get a better performing bullet, then why not go for it.

INRanger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    I use gold dots in both .45 and .357 sig my wife caries 165gr gold dots in her xd. We are both obsessive researchers and have found the gd's to be very accurate and most importantly reliable. Just my 2 cents. Any quality hollow point will do its job if you do.

JeremyVG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Michigan City, IN
    I'm given 155 grain Gold Dots. I'll use them until I'm given something else.

If I were doing the purchasing, I'd buy 180 grain Gold Dots. I prefer the recoil properties and penetration of the heavier projectile.

Jeremy

Top Bottom