• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    Hi everyone! I am seriously thinking about getting a Bersa Thunder .380 as my smaller carry gun, but wanted to run it past you first.

I basically want a reliable smaller carry for either OC/CC, comfortable, and accurate. I like the idea of a thumb saftey for extra security.

Any pros or cons that stand out on this gun?

I've done some research and everything seems to point as a good buy.
    Let me know! Thanks!
    :ingo:

Hoosier8

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have the CC version and have no complaints whatsoever. I think they are great guns for the money and lifetime warranted to boot. That said, for light carry, I almost always use my P3AT because the Bersa is still steel and heavier, but I often keep it in my computer case. It is a lot nicer to shoot than the P3AT.

I don't think you can go wrong buying one.

PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    My first handgun was a Bursa .380 Thunder, the standard version, and I absolutely loved it!! It shot easy, carried even better! I sold it to get an M&P 9c. I wish I hadn't. Great for ankle carry, or IWB.

Good Luck!

knot4reel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Way down south by Bl
    I also have the CC model. Its a great shooter with no problems encountered. I think its a little heavy for pocket carry IMHO, but you can make it disapear if you want to. Only downside I've found is the cost of extra mags.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My Bersa experiance.

Once I deviated from my precous J frame Smith and Wesson's to try a small compact .380 automatic. (Forgive me Daniel Wesson and Horace Smith because I knew not what I did.) and bought two .380's. I was going to do a side by side comparison and the one that did the best was the one I would keep and carry. One was a Walther PPK/S and the other was a Bersa CC, both in .380.

I so wanted the Walther to win. I tried everything (because it's a Walther right?) but no matter how much I wished it the Bersa won the contest. It was more accurate, no FTF's no matter what ammo I ran in it. The Bersa beat the Walther hands down in all the ways that matter in a CC weapon..

The point being. Get the Bersa unless you have a James Bond love. Better yet, get the Smith and Wesson J frame, it's not any better but the round it shoots is way better.

IMHO lest my comments be construed as "testy".

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My Bersa experiance.

Once I deviated from my precous J frame Smith and Wesson's to try a small compact .380 automatic. (Forgive me Daniel Wesson and Horace Smith because I knew not what I did.) and bought two .380's. I was going to do a side by side comparison and the one that did the best was the one I would keep and carry. One was a Walther PPK/S and the other was a Bersa CC, both in .380.

I so wanted the Walther to win. I tried everything (because it's a Walther right?) but no matter how much I wished it the Bersa won the contest. It was more accurate, no FTF's no matter what ammo I ran in it. The Bersa beat the Walther hands down in all the ways that matter in a CC weapon..

The point being. Get the Bersa unless you have a James Bond love. Better yet, get the Smith and Wesson J frame, it's not any better but the round it shoots is way better.

IMHO lest my comments be construed as "testy".

I would agree. I, too, have had both and liked the Bersa much better. At least it didn't try to chew my thumb off! :D

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    My first handgun was a Bursa .380 Thunder, the standard version, and I absolutely loved it!! It shot easy, carried even better! I sold it to get an M&P 9c. I wish I hadn't. Great for ankle carry, or IWB.

Good Luck!

I did this as well and regretted selling the Bursa ever since. I love my M& P, but it does not carry as well as the Bursa. I had zero issues with the one I had. Only reason I really sold it was could not find ammo for it after the last election. No one had it.
    I had some on hand, but did not want to shoot it up, and not be able to get more. It is everywhere again now.

seadoodr.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    martinsville
    I picked up a bersa .380 at the fort ben gun show for my girlfriend on mothers day and couldnt be happier with it. Between the 2 of us we have run about 500 rounds through it with no problems. Very accurate and a blast to shoot. I want to get a thunder plus for myself.

Last edited:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    My wife loves her Bersa. One note of caution, hers does not like pro mag magazines. When using the pro-mags she had multiple ftf with every mag regardless of the ammo. With factory mags it feeds everything (so far).

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I bought the two tone thunder .380 for the wife. It was ok but she didn't like it so I traded it off.

IDK, it just didn't seem to fit any of our needs very well.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I had the cc model. With aftermarket wood grips, the thing felt great to shoot and was a looker to boot.

Smaller and better than the regular model.

INcountryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Connersville
    You can't go wrong with a Bersa Thunder .380 for a reliable carry gun. The fixed barrel improves accuracy and the thumb safety is easy to operate. I agree with the fact that the factory magazines are too expensive and that the aftermarket wood grips give it a better look. I have never had a jam or feed problem with this gun. The only problem I have with this gun is keeping it away from my girlfriend, who thinks it's her gun.

seadoodr.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    martinsville
    My wife loves her Bersa. One note of caution, hers does not like pro mag magazines. When using the pro-mags she had multiple ftf with every mag regardless of the ammo. With factory mags it feeds everything (so far).
    Strange, I have a promag for ours and have not had any feed issues regardless of ammo.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    My wife's first carry gun was a bersa thunder in .380. She has since moved on to a j-frame revolver in a larger caliber. My first carry gun was a bersa thunder plus ( a double stack) in .380 as well. I have since moved on to a larger caliber.

We still own both of those guns, and shoot them fairly often. Neither my wife or myself have ever had a problem with either one. Great guns for the money.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I got one for my wife and also have the laserlyte laser for her.

The laser adds a cool factor and helps my wife with aim. She has muscular dystrophy and therefore can't raise it up and use the sights so the laser helps her tremendously.. it's an excellent pistol and very reliable.

It also has SA/DA mode as well so you can decock it and carry in DAO mode. Very versatile piece.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Have 2 Bersas. One a Thunder Plus (15rd cap mag), the other a standard 2 tone(7rd mag). No issues, both shoot to aim at 21ft. Both handle FMJ and HPs well.
    The 7 shot is my favorite, backs up my G19. Have had Walthers(PPKS), and a Sig 230, but keep going back to Bersas. (to date probably owned 4 or so over 20 yrs.)
    Easily carried either IWB or OWB. They could be in a pocket also, but a bit long.
    Try one, you could make a lot worse choice!

Top Bottom