• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I have a xDm .40 3.8 Compact with factory sights and about 1200 rounds through it. I am not happy with the accuracy of it at all. I did a little test yesterday. I placed 2 targets at approximately 25 yards. Using a pistol rest I shot 1 target with 180 gr Blazer Brass. I shot the other target with 165 gr American Eagle. I held at the same location. The consistently shot a tighter group with the 180 gr. The 165 shot a few inches low too. I don't believe I was flinching either, I could see the light coming out of the barrel when I shot. I also shot some Winchester PDX1 180 gr at 25 yards and my grouping was a little better than from the Blazer but not what I thought it should be. I think I should be shooting a tight pattern.
    I them performed the same test at approximately 50 yards. The grouping of the 180 gr grew quite a bit. The 165 gr shot so low that only 1 of 5 hit the paper on the human size target.
    I continued to shoot and I'm still not happy with the accuracy. I am going to perform some more test using the same brand ammo and add in some other brands that I have which include Magtech and PMC to see how it shoots from the rest. I might spring for some more expensive ammo to test too. I'm going to work on trigger control too just to make sure it is not me.
    My questions is, could this just be an issue with shooting too long of distance for the shorter barrel? Does anyone else have accuracy issues out of their xDm 3.8? I have shot other people's Glocks and Sigs and I shoot them MUCH better. I really don't want to see my xDm but I am honestly thinking about it.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I've seen Hickok45 did several shots with the XDM 3.8 compact in 9mm at the gong and it's easily more than 50 yards

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I've fired my XDM at 50 yards, but the purpose of a handgun is for close range. If I WANT to really make a 50 yard shot, it's doable with practice, but that's for any gun

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Ding Ding Ding!!

Give the man a See-gar!

I think you are too. 25 yds is along shot for that little barrel...if you have to use it the experts say it's going to be within 25 FEET.

Thanks!! Suppose I'm being a little hard on myself. Not comparing apples to apples but I watched a buddy of mine consistantly shoot the center out of his targets at about 30 feet but he was using full size Sig 45. I can't even come close with my xDm.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    short barrel = you aren't going to be super accurate at 50 yards.

As long as I can take my XD Subcompact to the 25 yard side and hit the target in a nice group I'm happy. If I want longer distance, then I go with a full sized pistol, not a subcompact.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    It sounds like I'll start looking for a full size soon. In the mean time maybe I need to replace some worn parts and get a trigger job on my Ruger P89 9mm.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    The XD and XDM subcompacts are very accurate for thier size. The purpose is a self defense gun - I'd spend more trigger time at 5 \ 7 \ 10 yards. The Mrs. has an XDsc in 9mm and couldn't be happier with it. She is dead nuts at 7 yards which makes me a lot more comfortable. The sight radius simply doesn't allow for (easily obtainable) pinpoint accuracy at 25 yards, etc. A fraction of an inch within that sight picture will equate to a huge difference at long range.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    The XD and XDM subcompacts are very accurate for thier size. The purpose is a self defense gun - I'd spend more trigger time at 5 \ 7 \ 10 yards. The Mrs. has an XDsc in 9mm and couldn't be happier with it. She is dead nuts at 7 yards which makes me a lot more comfortable. The sight radius simply doesn't allow for (easily obtainable) pinpoint accuracy at 25 yards, etc. A fraction of an inch within that sight picture will equate to a huge difference at long range.

Thanks for the info!!

Top Bottom