Beretta 85 FS Cheetah

I have always wanted one of these and found one today at a price I could not pass up at the 1500.

Here are some first impressions. This gun is built like a tank. It is very hard to rack the slide without either getting bit by the slide trying to avoid the safety or just take the punishment of scraping your thumb or fingers against the safety. The other thing is that this feature makes it hard to field strip.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by maxmayhem View Post
    I have always wanted one of these and found one today at a price I could not pass up at the 1500.

Here are some first impressions. This gun is built like a tank. It is very hard to rack the slide without either getting bit by the slide trying to avoid the safety or just take the punishment of scraping your thumb or fingers against the safety. The other thing is that this feature makes it hard to field strip.
    I've got both an 85FS and an 84BB. Both are quite easy to rack if they're properly cleaned and lubricated and you thumb-cock the hammer first. Great guns!

Those are great guns. Very accurate for their size.

I'm sure I saw the one that you bought, it was a good deal if it was the same one. I've owned numerous 85's and 84's over the years. They are big for a .380 nowadays but are great feeling guns. Don't recall having an issue chambering a round or racking the slide and being bothered by the safety, they are stiffly sprung i'll give you that.

Plinker
    KAGNEW. The advice to thumb-cock the hammer on the Beretta 85 Cheetah is very helpful for chambering the load. Before I had difficulting pulling the slide back. The slide is still pretty stiff to pull. I have disassemble the weapon and it appears to be clean. Any advice about lubicating this handgun? Thank you.

Plinker
    I currently own a combination of 5 Cheetahs and for those who commented on racking the slide being hard, don't pull back on the slide. Grasp the slide with your off hand in close to your body and firmly hold it in place, then PUSH forward with the frame hand. This method puts the entire force of your shoulder behind the effort rather than just your forearm...leverage is our friend

Plinker
    I have a 84, best range gun I have.

Those are really neat looking guns! Can't wait to see pics and read your first range report!
    "God will have the last word, and it will be good!" --Dr. Robert H. Schuller

I have a 84BB. I love shooting it. Very robust.

I think my Cheetahs have more recoil than my 92s, which surprised me at first. Figured a 380 vs 9. Didn't take into account how the design would affect it.

Of course I like them still

Never been able to find a 92 compact used to buy and compare to my 92nd or Cheetahs.

Still seeking the elusive 86 cheetah and one in .32 acp
    Orthodox Christian | NRA | GOA | MGNOC | ARRL Member