Anyone here send a CZ to Cajun Gun Works for action work?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I've got a 2075 D RAMI here that I intend to have a "long term relationship" with. I called CGW and talked to David (Milam?)--they seem like real good people down there. I'm thinking of sending the pistol for their "Defensive Carry Package" work. Anyone here have direct experience with them? If so, can you share your impressions of how your gun was improved by them?

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I sent my SP01 Shadow in to David and had the race hammer installed and had some trigger work done along with some springs (I'd have to check receipt to see exactly what he did) and it shoots VERY well now. I think my SA is down to 2.5# and DA is around 5#.

David worked with me through the process, I actually ordered everything and had it sent to my house to do this myself and figured out quickly I am NOT a gunsmith. He then said I could ship him the "box of parts" that was my Shadow and he would make it all better. Sure enough, it came back amazingly smooth and light triggered.

tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Since a few people seem interested, I'll write about the process so far now that my pistol is on its way. I guess this'll turn into a "mini blog" about the CGW experience.

There's quite a bit written about CGW on the various popular gun forums--100% positive from what I've seen so far. Dave Milam, the gunsmith and manager, has had his FFL and been accepting guns for work since about the middle of last year (though his reputation in the CZ community goes back far beyond that). They sell user-installable parts kits and of course will do the work if you send your pistol as I chose to. After reading around the web for a few days, I called yesterday to get things rolling.

Dave answered right away. He's a mild-mannered guy who asks good questions and is a good listener. I told him what I had and what I was looking for. I told him how the gun was running over the ~150 rounds I've put through it so far. He immediately diagnosed, through experience and my account, a minor issue I've been having with the gun not fully returning to battery (three or four times). This is related to poor case crimp on 115gr WWB (he uses the same practice ammo and has seen the exact same problem with other CZ's). David asked me to email him, and he'd respond later in the day (after he was out of his machine shop) on how to proceed.

Here's what Dave recommended during the call (copy/paste from CGW site, where further descriptions of these items and services can be found):

Defensive Carry Package

Send CGW your CZ and we will perform the following services:

1) Internals mirror polished, barrel ramp and chamber polished, lower slide rib beveled
    2) Throat barrel if needed for 9mm 147 gn bullets
    3) Hammer cut for Self Defense (4.0# SA), all new CGW Made in the USA springs
    4) New trigger pin, trigger return spring, firing pin retaining pin, and extended firing pin
    5) Return shipping

$278.00

True to his word, a couple hours later I had an email with two attachments--a copy of his FFL and a "Shipping and Work Order Form". The form includes shipping instructions (enclose a copy of his FFL), my contact info, gun model, S/N, etc. You're instructed to send gun only--no loose items such as magazines--and to remove custom grips.

Next is a place where you can describe the cosmetic condition/blemishes your gun may have. I like this. It's a chance to convey how detail-conscious or particular you may be. David's asking and my thorough reply here gives me confidence he'll take good care of my pistol while it's in his possession.

The next section on the form is for describing your intended use and what you want changed. CGW lists user-installed kit prices on their site--this part of the form summarizes labor costs for intallation of these kits, action work, and sight replacement.

Finally, there's an "additional comments" section. There I indicated that I'm in no hurry and that they could take all the time they needed to do the work. David was actually apologetic during our call that he was projecting two to three weeks to get my gun turned around (the "Defensive Carry Package" includes machine work, parts, and labor--I think three weeks is more than reasonable).

One thing the form doesn't mention is payment--but we discussed that on the phone. CGW didn't ask for a deposit. David was very easygoing about payment. He said "we get paid when we're done with your gun--that keeps us working". He said he'd call when done (or if he had any questions along the way) and that I could pay however I wanted, including PayPal. Can't beat that--I suppose he never has problems because we all want our guns back :)

More later as things move forward.

tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Update time!

David called me today, as my gun had come up in line and he had it on the bench. He told me he does this for everyone. It was obvious he'd reviewed my work order, inspected the gun thoroughly, and had spent a little time to get to know the action (where it's at relative to where I want it to end up). We discussed CZ's in general, and he asserted that he felt they're all "oversprung" heavily (that's why he replaces so many springs as part of the work). David's assessment of my RAMI BD was that the action was "better than most" CZ's. He also confirmed its condition (new, no blemishes) and complimented CZ's choice of sights. He felt that the included night sights were the "best I could ever do" on this gun, and that CZ including them is a great move and saves the buyer money in the long run. We reviewed my usage scenario (SD with lots of range practice), and he restated that CGW's "Concealed Carry Package" was indeed what would best accomplish my goals. He referred to it as a "standard recipe" that had been developed over time, which works very well. This didn't come off as arrogant at all--it sounded to me like a man who knew his CZ's very well and was, through benefit of experience, confident in his recommendations.

David's trigger pull scale only reads to 12 lbs., and he said all new CZ DA pulls measure beyond that. His target for the smoother DA pull is right at 8.5 lbs--probably close to half what it is now :D I like the sound of that. He also explained that, were this his gun, he'd replace the stock hammer with a Shadow hammer. This is because in order to retain the longer DA pull, the milling (reshaping) to get to 8.5 lbs. requires starting with the Shadow hammer (reshaping the stock hammer would shorten the DA pull or result in a compromised SA pull). Starting with a new Shadow hammer and doing this adds $30 to the price. I gave the go-ahead.

David explained that he felt the CZ decockers are ideal carry guns due to their first shot DA, subsequent shots SA nature, and that keeping that first shot more on target with a smoother, lighter, yet safe pull--followed by improving the SA pull to a crisp 3.5 lbs., is his ideal approach. He feels that beyond 4 lbs. is quite noticeable as less than ideal. I instructed him to proceed as though it was his own gun.

Another thing GGW does is bevel the slide where it contacts the hammer on the way back and where it picks up the next cartridge. He stated that these areas are often very sharp from the factory

I expressed mild concern that, God forbid should the worst happen and I have to use the gun in self-defense, that the fact that the gun had been modified might come up if I were to land in court. He explained that the gun would indeed be disassembled, and examination would reveal that the gun was safe, had been modified by a competent gunsmith, and did not have a "hair trigger". Again, not arrogant, but this man knows his business. .

He's probably working on my gun now, and promised to call tomorrow and let me know how it turned out before shipping it back. He promised I'd love it, and I could tell by his inflection that he had a big grin on his face when he said that. I like a guy who loves what he does, and I have lots of confidence that the end result will be impressive.

Total cost for this, with the hammer replacement, is going to come in just over $300. Expensive, yes, but how much is too much to take your ideal carry gun and make it the best it can possibly be?

I'll post another update after we talk tomorrow, and a range report once I get to try it out. He returns all the removed parts, so I'll photograph those and the areas he's worked in, as well.

Last edited:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I really appreciate you going over these details as I am considering this myself. I too have heard only good things about CGW and am anxiously awaiting your results.

P.S. You should tell him about INGO. He might find a good deal of business here. I understand he does awesome work on 1911s as well.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If all goes well I will be sending the P06 I just won on GB about ten minutes ago. I have been looking for one and it fell into my lap. I got a LNIB for about $200 less than MSRP. So I won't feel quite as bad dropping another $300 plus to have a custom gun. I think I will let him install some nights as well.

tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    NICE--congrats!

I should have mentioned that David answered a question before I could ask it--the Shadow hammer will look identical to the stock hammer.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    CGW

I looked at there website after reading your post.
    I didnt realize they are in West Monroe ,La.
    I lived across the river from them in Monroe,La.
    Lived there 12 years, Son & Grandson born there.

tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Anyone who has particular interest in this subject is certainly welcome to get in touch with me. If we can arrange to meet at MCF&G, bring ammo and have a go.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    dave is a good guy. i have never sent in my gun but i have purchased his parts and he has always helped me anytime i had a problem.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Thanks for this interesting, informative, and detailed post, reps! Anyone ever used CZcustom? I hear they are both great.

Last edited:

tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I really appreciate you going over these details as I am considering this myself. I too have heard only good things about CGW and am anxiously awaiting your results.

P.S. You should tell him about INGO. He might find a good deal of business here. I understand he does awesome work on 1911s as well.

Thanks, everybody!

I did mention INGO :rockwoot:and I'll send him a link to this thread in case anyone has Q's for him.

tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Just got another quick call from David at CGW. I was out walking in the wind and couldn't have a very good conversation, but he told me he was going to send me a couple of pictures of my gun before he puts it back together tonight, and that he'll call tomorrow when sending it out. He seems quite pleased with how it's turning out :rockwoot:

He did discover that the disconnector in my gun had a flaw, and swapped it out for a new one. He didn't charge to do this, because another mod he makes (not on this gun, however) involves milling .030" from the part of the disconnector which has the surface flaw. I'm sure the pictures later will explain this, but I'm glad that a good gunsmith got inside of it. He's focusing attention now on the hammer spring, from what I could hear.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom