Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

Help with Ruger Mark III

I must have reassmebled my Mark III incorrectly as now the hammer will not drop nor can I get the mainspring out. I need some help. I am afraid to do anything else as the mainspring is pretty much stuck.. I can unlatch it, but with moderate force, it will not disengage the receiver pin. I am in SE Indy. Any recommendations for shops or individuals would be appreciated. An email back would be best, but feel free to call me stupid.

dave@dlbk.net

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by dljx3; 10-12-2012 at 18:12.

I am only familiar with the Mark II's... Actually, the only thing I know about the 3's is there is a difference or two on reassembly...

I went years following the manual on the Mark II. Then Al Gore invented the internet... After watching a handful of YouTube videos, reassembly is not an issue at all anymore...

I would suggest backing away for a few moments, watch a few videos on reassembly of the Mark III, then go and give it another try... My guess is this is the first time the pistol was taken apart and it's just tight... A few of my II's were very tight initially... Pay special attention to when they say the mag needs inserted and what position the hammer needs to be in at each step...
    Semper Fi USMC 1983-87

Check Utube for vid on Ruger MKIII reassembly.. I'm sure that will get you there.

NRA Life member GSSF member
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer

1911 Mechanic
    Facts seldom change what someone wants to believe

+1 on Youtube for disassembly/reassembly instructions.

Here is a good link for Ruger Mk-x .22 troubleshooting.
    Not sure if the firearm or accessory you are buying/selling has been subject to a safety recall? Want to check your collection? Click INGO's Comprehensive Firearm Safety Recall Listing for an easy way to check.
    Alan Gura: Americans are not required to justify their need to exercise a fundamental right. If the government can force you to provide a reason to exercise your right, then itís no longer a right.

Can you pull the bolt back at all? Or just a half inch or so?

It sounds alot like you've got the hammer strut stuck in that cross pin

Insert the magazine. Point the muzzle straight down. Safety off. Pull the trigger and hold it while tapping the muzzle on the floor or work bench or some hard but not scarring surface. You are trying to get the hammer to fall forward and free the hammer strut.

Bookmark these:

http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/internals.htm

http://www.guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm
    Last edited by Dargasonus; 10-12-2012 at 19:56.

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeVel View Post
    I am only familiar with the Mark II's... Actually, the only thing I know about the 3's is there is a difference or two on reassembly...

I went years following the manual on the Mark II. Then Al Gore invented the internet... After watching a handful of YouTube videos, reassembly is not an issue at all anymore...

I would suggest backing away for a few moments, watch a few videos on reassembly of the Mark III, then go and give it another try... My guess is this is the first time the pistol was taken apart and it's just tight... A few of my II's were very tight initially... Pay special attention to when they say the mag needs inserted and what position the hammer needs to be in at each step...
    The loaded chamber indicator and the safety mechanism that doesn't allow you to shoot without a magazine inserted were the changes. Yeah some of them are super tight..I got lucky with my MIII and never had much trouble.

where are you at in the state of Indiana!
    I've got a Few Guns:

Come see me

I work at Bradis Part-time and the Ruger's are one of my favorites. I will be in both Monday and Tuesday. Bring it by if you have not gotten it fixed and I am sure that I can get it corrected. Kenny
    2 to the chest and 1 above the vest

Youtube video's are your best friend when trying to reassemble a 22-45. If you are close to South Bend I woold gladly show you how to do it. Once you have done it a few times it gets easier.
    i beleive one of the tricks is to put the Mag in it and tilt it back so the hammer falls back. I have to help mine a little. The other gotcha point is the strut has to be hanging down when you put the pin back in. The mag has to be removed to close the lever on the pin. The mag safety on a III is a little bit of a pain. Watch a few videos and don't forc anything in to place.
    1911ly
    Just a few guns shy of enough!

http://ingunowners.com/forums/gunsmithing/ Check it out!!

Mk3's if assembled incorrectly can stick the mainspring housing.

Manipulate it as best you can, back and forth (not side to side), and after a few (or a lot) of wiggles it'll pop free. This assumes of course the latch is free and that end of the mainspring housing is out maybe 1/4 from the frame (it's out a bit, but won't go to normal pivot position).

Might take 30 secs, might take 2 or 3 mins-of constant wiggle, but it works (when you think that POS will never come free).

Sore fingers the outcome, and maybe some swearing for a few minutes. But wiggle that POS and it'll pop free (to full retract position then allowing the bolt stop to pull down).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast