• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm wondering how popular this new handgun will be for S&W and their M&P line? I can't see where it brings anything new or even necessary to the table. Anybody heard anything?

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/276354-s-w-releases-new-m-p-pro-series-core-models.html

8264f2ffb887ec8856c4b2a3303366fd.jpg

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Looks like it comes milled for red dot and standard suppressor sights. Big cost savings.

And I think you put the wrong link.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am interested in the Pro model since I want a FO sight and a better trigger on mine when I get it. So I have to see if it's worth it to just spend a little more and get a Pro model. This one, I don't know anything about. The sights look kinda funky though.:)

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I am interested in the Pro model since I want a FO sight and a better trigger on mine when I get it. So I have to see if it's worth it to just spend a little more and get a Pro model. This one, I don't know anything about. The sights look kinda funky though.:)

I think the sights (front) is designed to co-witness with the red dot/optic of your choosing, thus the design. These platforms are becoming more common and I would not be surprised to see them start showing up in USPSA Open class. S&W really got ahead of the pack with this one.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I think FN was first? But they aren't nearly as popular as Smith or Glock. I'd be surprised if Glock doesn't start offering it soon as well.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It appears that the emphasis is to add optics to this gun, thus Competition Optic Ready Equipment (CORE). I hope Smith follows this up with their own form of GSSF. It would be a great forum to introduce this pistol.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think the sights (front) is designed to co-witness with the red dot/optic of your choosing, thus the design. These platforms are becoming more common and I would not be surprised to see them start showing up in USPSA Open class. S&W really got ahead of the pack with this one.

Ah, I see.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I hope they bring them out with threaded barrels. I shoot open class in multigun but I would never buy a "true" open class handgun. This M&P platform is right up my my alley.:rockwoot:

As mentioned, something GSSF would be great as well!

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Definitely looks interesting. I'd be interested in checking out the more textured palm swells. Hopefully they'd be able to sell those as an accessory.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Someone called me a "palm swell" the other day. I don't quite know what he meant, but I don't think it was a compliment.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010

I think you meant Open Division.

Remember, equipment puts you in a division, skills put you in a class from GM on down to D class.

Does this pistol in 9mm have a history of poor accuracy?

Supposedly the 5" 9mms do. I have one of the earliest 9Pros made in 2008, and I have not noticed any significant accuracy problems, but I don't own a ransom rest, either.

I really do hope that S&W figures out these issues soon one way or the other and it's not, as is suggested on the Enos forum, a design flaw in the 5" M&P caused by it unlocking too quickly upon slide movement.

Some say that the barrel design has been changed to improve/extend lockup until the slide moves back further. If so, and it's solved, that would be great news.

I have never observed any significant accuracy problems with my gun, but I don't shoot it very much, because I shoot Limited and Single Stack much more than Production.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think you meant Open Division.

Remember, equipment puts you in a division, skills put you in a class from GM on down to D class.

Supposedly the 5" 9mms do. I have one of the earliest 9Pros made in 2008, and I have not noticed any significant accuracy problems, but I don't own a ransom rest, either.

I really do hope that S&W figures out these issues soon one way or the other and it's not, as is suggested on the Enos forum, a design flaw in the 5" M&P caused by it unlockuing too quickly upon slide movement.

Some say that the barrel design has been changed to improve/extend lockup until the slide moves back further. If so, and it's solved, that would be great news.

I have never observed any significant accuracy problems with my gun, but I don't shoot it very much, because I shoot Limited and Single Stack much more than Production.

I ask because I'm thinking of buying one for 3-gun.
    really don't want the gun to have accuracy problems. I have enough accuracy problems of my own!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I ask because I'm thinking of buying one for 3-gun.
    really don't want the gun to have accuracy problems. I have enough accuracy problems of my own!

I wouldn't sweat it. For every internet story I've read about problematic accuracy in the M&P, there's 20 who have no trouble. If you do happen to get one that's having trouble, I know S&W has replaced barrels for customers.

I can count mine as one of the 20- not a problem with accuracy at all:twocents:

(Well, in the gun that is, my accuracy problems are 100% my fault:laugh:)

Top Bottom