• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Playing safes tonight, preparing for Indy1500, when I stumbled across a pawn shop rescue Ruger Security Six with Herrett RSS stocks in the back of one of the shelves. The revolver is "fair" and worthy of reblueing but the stocks . . . have lead a rough life.

The stocks, this is a rescue gun, do look like an angry Shibu Inu has gotten them. Scratches, sweat and wear marks, etc.

Herret website says that these should be walnut. Anyone refinished stocks before?:dunno:

How to? Recommendations?

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I know there is a lot of debate of whether to refinish or not. Some say not to because it can lower the value. I had picked up this old derringer which really wasn't worth much and wanted to redo it just to see what I could do with it.

I refinished the wood grips by sanding them and then using Tung Oil with steel wool in between coats.

Before:
    picture.php

picture.php

After:
    picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Refinsihing stocks

I have, and if you are going to sell the gun, I would simply find some inexpensive stocks and slap on it. I am unfamiliar with the particular grips you are referring to, are they checkered? If yes - then they will require more labor than otherwise.....do you want a gloss finish or a more natural finish?
    I have used a lot of Birchwood CAsey products over the years.....Brownells used to carry them, I am sure they still do. Refinishing stocks, especially rifle stocks, is time intensive. If it is something you are going to keep and pass on, then it may be worth the effort and time.....but if it something I was going to sell, then I wouldn't invest the time or effort.

pmorriso

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Birchwood Casey Tru-oil. It's amazing what that and some time will help accomplish. They also make a sealer that you could use without the finish if you want a satin look. Good thing is if you ever scratch your finish or get any kind of wear you can just add more.

500 mag

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Indy
    I have used Minwax polyurethane wipe on finish on several stocks before and its come out looking really nice. A few that i showed didn't realize that it wasn't original finish.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have done many rifle stocks with Deft satin polyurethane. Mine has always been in a blue and white can so I don't know if the link is for the exact product that I use. Stinks like hell, dries very fast. Any orange peel or runs can be easily rubbed out with fine steel wool and re-sprayed.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have done many rifle stocks with Deft satin polyurethane. Mine has always been in a blue and white can so I don't know if the link is for the exact product that I use. Stinks like hell, dries very fast. Any orange peel or runs can be easily rubbed out with fine steel wool and re-sprayed.

This is great stuff! But it sure does have an obnoxious odor!

One thing I would add: if it has any checkering, you may want to use a toothbrush and some stripper to clean the old finish off.

Purists use oil finishes, but finish technology has advanced since those days. Modern finishes, life Deft work really well and hold up for a long time. You can also make the satin finish more "matte" like by rubbing with 0000 steel wool if you want it duller.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Actually, I think the preparation is more key than which finish to use (although I'm a big Birchwood Casey fan).

It's always a shame to see a re-finished stock that has a great finish, but has all the edges rounded off around the metal, or that so much was taken off that fit doesn't look right. But the most common thing I've seen is not progressing properly with sandpaper grit, leaving scratch marks on the wood.

It's hard to mess up a well-prepared piece of wood with the wrong finish, and there's no finish that will hide a poorly prepared piece of wood.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I have, and if you are going to sell the gun, I would simply find some inexpensive stocks and slap on it. I am unfamiliar with the particular grips you are referring to, are they checkered? If yes - then they will require more labor than otherwise.....do you want a gloss finish or a more natural finish?
    I have used a lot of Birchwood CAsey products over the years.....Brownells used to carry them, I am sure they still do. Refinishing stocks, especially rifle stocks, is time intensive. If it is something you are going to keep and pass on, then it may be worth the effort and time.....but if it something I was going to sell, then I wouldn't invest the time or effort.
    +1 on Birchwood Casey

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Birchwood Casey Tru-oil. It's amazing what that and some time will help accomplish. They also make a sealer that you could use without the finish if you want a satin look. Good thing is if you ever scratch your finish or get any kind of wear you can just add more.
    Thats all I use.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    Nice Job!!

Preperation is key. I just finished a Winchester 30-30 I bought for almost nothing. It had been in a barn for the last twenty years. I know the collectors are crying, but this gun was in terrible shape. The bore was like a mirror but the barrel and receiver were complete rust. Looks pretty sweet now. I was going to use it for a four wheeler/truck gun, but it turned out so well, that is not an option.

Kind of fun bringing life back to them. Again, nice job.

Ruger has the origional grips on there web sight for $20.00 I think it is. If I heard right they found a huge stash of them from when those were made.

Watco oil finish really puts the life into the wood.

Top Bottom