• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dolphinfanfoor

Shooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Greenfield
    So just learned this term from this site. Im sad to say that i had a glock 26 for 5-6 years and prolly shot 100 rounds thru it. I never new of a break in period. About how many rounds would qualify as the break in period and what makes the weapon fire better after this is complete.... Thx

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    With modern handguns I think the break in period is really more important for the shooter than for the gun. Many guns do shoot a bit better and triggers get a bit better with use.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Sometimes you will work a gun loose a little bit, giving it a bit more play in the tolerance. So if your gun was made to specs a little tight, running 500 to 1k rounds through it will sometimes take care of any hiccups associated with those tolerance problems.

Not all guns need a break in period. If you have shot your gun for 500 rounds to date, and never had a problem, I would not worry about it.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    So just learned this term from this site. Im sad to say that i had a glock 26 for 5-6 years and prolly shot 100 rounds thru it. I never new of a break in period. About how many rounds would qualify as the break in period and what makes the weapon fire better after this is complete.... Thx
    For a glock, the break in period is the one shot at the factory ;)

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    There are many out there that believe in the "1000 Round Trigger Job". If you listen to Podcast' at all, give the Episode 145 of The Handgun WOrld Podcast a listen:
    HandgunWorld Podcast Episode 145 – 1,000 Round Trigger Job. | HandgunWorld Podcast

He talks about the 1000 round trigger job, and how it not only is going to make your gun shoot better, but it is going to make you a better shooter with that firearm as well.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I have never had to worry about a breakin period for a Glock. I have several of them and they all run perfectly from day one.
    I had a 1911 that needed some range time before it loosened up.:twocents:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    So just learned this term from this site. Im sad to say that i had a glock 26 for 5-6 years and prolly shot 100 rounds thru it.

Wow, you need to spent some time at the range!! My M&P saw 500 rounds the first 3 days I had it. :rockwoot:

As for the break-in period, as stated not necessary with a glock. (Or M&P for that matter).

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    With modern handguns I think the break in period is really more important for the shooter than for the gun. Many guns do shoot a bit better and triggers get a bit better with use.

The above is so true it needs to be said again. I am positive that a lot of what people call break in on a new gun is simply their inexperience with the firearm being worked out through trigger time. Over time, the mechanics of a gun will wear/change slightly with use, but the most rapid changes will no doubt come from behind the gun. Forget about the break in period with your Glock, get out there and put some rounds through it focusing on your end of the equation and I guarantee you will become more proficient with it.

Top Bottom