My shield is bigger than yours! (A sad story)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WallyJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Pictures below...

So.... I bought this .40 shield after a long wait. I shot about 100 rounds through it a few weeks ago and had zero problems. I took it out again today and shot about 30 rounds through it, also with zero problems. Then I decided to shoot up some old defensive ammo I had to get it used up and on the second round the gun detonated.

I don't have the original box for this ammo, all I know is it had a blue plastic tip. I did some searches on the internet and I think they are called Glaser. I'm not sure I have ever shot any of them its just something I used to have loaded in a different gun for defense years ago.

I don't really remember anything special about the first round, but the second one hurt! I felt pain in my hand but when I set the gun down I saw that the magazine was partially ejected. My first thought was that I had the magazine drop problem and that upset me. Then, once the shock wore off, I realized the frame was cracked in several places. That's when I realized it blew up.

The slide is locked in place. I didn't really try to pull it off though. The back part of the casing was found as well as the primer. No bullet in the barrel but the wall of the casing is still in the gun. I found the extractor a few feet away in the snow.

I called Smith & Wesson and they are sending me a label to send it back so they can take a look at it. I'm not sure what else to do other then wait for them to check it out. Any guesses as to what S&W will do? Do I send the magazines and ammunition I was using with the gun? Does FedEx pick it up in the original box or do I need to put it in something else?

So far, I think my hand is ok. It was numb for awhile. There is some pain when I touch the areas effected but I think I will be ok. The gun - not so much. Someone cheer me up...

WallyJJ

S&W M&P .40 Shield by WallyJJ, on Flickr

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have shot Glaser rounds since the mid 90's and have mags loaded for self defense. We have had zero issues with them. I have shot them from my .44 Mag and my .45 ACP's. They are a hot round but not that hot.

No knock but steel is for real.

FrankTank83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Wow, glad to hear you are ok! Sorry about the pistol though. I have never seen a case fail completely around the base like that. The brass tends to be much thicker/stronger towards the base of the case. My initial thought was that it was a squib load, but after seeing the case damage I'm not so sure. I'll be interested to hear what others think.

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    Wow! Glad to see you are OK after that. I will bet S&W will replace the gun no questions asked. I wonder if a full metal frame gun can do the same thing?

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    Certainly a rare event, best part is no one was hurt other than your painful hand. I would never expect that on a Shield. I would imagine that S&W will make it right.

Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    Wow! That sucks. I had a pistol blow up in my hand once. Nothing in my hand was broke, but it felt like I got hit with a hammer. My hand was tender for about a day after. Lucky the slide didn't come back at your face! Or anything else for that matter.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    Sorry about the gun, but glad you're hand was fine!
    I would ship them the gun as is and keep the ammo, and yes send the mag and hopefully they put a brand new on in it!
    I wouldn't mess with it much though..

and WELCOME to INGO! :wavey:

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    And the worst part is that it wasn't a Glock! :D

S&W customer service is the best. Once you get your gun back send them an email thanking them and tell them they did a good job. I did so and I got a free hat.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Holy crap!

Glad you are ok. I would call s&w back and ask if they want the ammo you used. Maybe find somebody that reloads and pull the bullet out and measure the charge?

Oh... and :welcome: to :ingo:

shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    Wow. Glad you weren't hurt. S&W will make it right. I probably want to talk to someone and make sure it wasn't a certain load that the gun couldn't handle.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    S&W will be very interested in why your Shield detonated to such an extreme. They are a good company and will make it right.

Top Bottom