S&W 5906: Magazine info and Practical Pistol use?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    My pops bought a S&W 5906 during 'da ban' back in probably 95 or so. It came with a neutered 10 round mag.

So, he (and I) is wanting some standard cap 15 round mags for this thing. Ive noticed that some places specifically sell "5906" mags, while other places list "59 series" mags. Are these the same thing? If so, do any other mags fit the 5906??

Related question on this handgun: Would it make an OK starter gun for 'practical pistol' type matches?

thanks,
    clay

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    So, he (and I) is wanting some standard cap 15 round mags for this thing. Ive noticed that some places specifically sell "5906" mags, while other places list "59 series" mags. Are these the same thing?

Pretty much the same thing. Mags from the original Model 59 will also fit the 5903, 5904, 5906, as well as the 910 and 915, so some outfits list them more generically. They will also fit the 69 series pistols as an "extended" mag. Mags listed specifically as "5906" will most likely be stainless steel, while "59 Series" mags could be blued or stainless.

If so, do any other mags fit the 5906??

You need a 59 Series magazine, but they are available from several manufacturers other than S&W. If you can't find a decent price on factory mags, Mec-Gar is a close second.

Related question on this handgun: Would it make an OK starter gun for 'practical pistol' type matches?

Better than nothing! ;)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    thanks for all the info! hmmmmmmm just better than nothing? Not a lot of confidence detected! ;)

Well, it's not a "game" gun by any stretch. The sights, traditional DA/SA trigger and slide-mounted safety/decocker will all make life a little more difficult where competition is concerned. That said, if the 5906 is going to be your (or your dad's) "go to" gun, competing with it will help you learn it and employ it that much more effectively.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    359   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The Mec-Gar mags for the 5900 Smiths are very good quality. Check (frequently) CDNN for mags. Still some police turn in mags floating around.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Clay, I don't "compete" in any sense of the term. I go to the matches purely to have fun and most importantly, shoot my gun. As time goes on and l learn more, I will improve my times.

Come on out, it's a blast.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    oh, I dont 'compete' much either. I just like to shoot, and something besides shooting at the range will be nice.

Heck, this 5906 may not even be a good choice strictly from the standpoint that its not MY gun, and i would only be using it because of magazine capacity. Maybe my M&P9c would be the better choice.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Clay ...

The others have answered the technical questions. Mec-Gar mags are definitely first rate and I use them with my S&W guns. If I carried them, it would be with Mec-Gars.

As far as practical shooting goes, the 5906 is one of the most underrate pistols on the market. First of all, from the box they tend to have the smoothest double action trigger among double action/single action factory made guns.

The key factor with S&W 3rd generation self loaders that gets overlooked (or of which many people are unaware) is how short the trigger reset is. The newest Sig Sauer trigger may come close, but you won't find a double action/single action gun with a shorter trigger reset. In fact, it's probably shorter than a Glock's, so the only guns with shorter resets would be some single action guns like 1911s, etc. Shorter trigger reset can really make a big difference when you're trying to go fast.

The boreline is a bit higher above the grip than Glock, but is about the same as a Sig or HK. It's also a huge, heavy chunk of stainless steel, so the felt recoil is negligible. They are a pleasure to shoot, especially for people who are sensitive to recoil.

The safety is not an issue, as you won't be using it. You'll use the decocker after you load the gun to put it in the proper mode to carry (with hammer down on a loaded chamber), but then you'll leave the safety "off" if you choose to shoot it in USPSA or IDPA, and ideally if you carry it as well.

Another good thing is that the reach to the trigger is among the shortest of all double stack, double action guns. The only gun I've handled that was an easier reach for my stumpy fingers is the Browning BDM. Some others come close, but if you have short fingers or small hands and you want a high cap 9mm, a 5906 or equivalent is a good bet.

They're inexpensive. You can get a used 5906 for under $300 if you try hard enough.

Finally, they're incredibly reliable.

I'm not sure why they aren't more popular, but I'm glad they are not. That means it's easier and less expensive to get one (or more) as well as magazines for them.

BTW ... if anyone has a flat backstrap grip for a full size, 3rd generation S&W (i.e. a 5906), I'm in need!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Heck, this 5906 may not even be a good choice strictly from the standpoint that its not MY gun, and i would only be using it because of magazine capacity. Maybe my M&P9c would be the better choice.

If you're going to shoot it in USPSA or IDPA matches, you will need to reload regardless of the capacity. Compact guns with short frames compromise this action, so you'd definitely be better off with the 5906 than the compact M&P.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Well, it's not a "game" gun by any stretch. The sights, traditional DA/SA trigger and slide-mounted safety/decocker will all make life a little more difficult where competition is concerned. That said, if the 5906 is going to be your (or your dad's) "go to" gun, competing with it will help you learn it and employ it that much more effectively.

The 5906 may not be a high capacity limited or open gun, but it is a "game" gun because the production division is for stock out of the box guns. In such a division the main difference is the shooter. Which is true in the other divisions as well. It is only when comparing between divisions that gear or guns become the deciding factor.:patriot:

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I have a 2nd Generation S&W 639 and love it. Everything that Rino said is true, short trigger reset, good for short fingers, soaks up recoil, reliable. I had Ray Saltzman slick up the action on mine and it's a dream. The 639 is my best "minor" bowling pin gun.They are built like a tank and will run forever.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    My biggest gripe about the 5906 is the high bore axis (and the resulting high sight axis) that Rhino has already mentioned. I'm so used to shooting Glocks that the sights are way up high on the Smiths. This is just my personal preference, but I'm not a fan of any DA/SA semi-autos, including Sigs, Berettas, etc. I like one consistent trigger pull. Of course this is all my preference, it doesn't mean it's a bad gun. They're pretty sturdy pistols if that's what you like.

Top Bottom