Zastava M88A pistol wanted for 18th birthday present.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    My son will be 18 in a couple months. The one gun he would most like to have is a Zastava M88A pistol. These were imported by EAA but last he heard are no longer being imported.

Although he hasn't asked for this gun for his birthday, I think it would make a nice gift if I can find one. He's a great kid, I would really like to surprise him with it. My son wants one that is new in box because he wants it as his main carry gun. :ar15:

Ultimately he would like the 40 S&W variant but has said since we won't be able to find a 40 S&W, he will be happy with a 9mm.

I am aware of one on Armslist but would really prefer to go see, touch and buy in person. This is where all of you come in. I would really appreciate it if anyone sees a new Zustava M88A at their local gun store or Sporting Goods Store that they let me know the details. I am in Wayne County but would travel a couple hours or more for the right deal.

Thanking everyone in advance for their help in this treasure hunt. ;)

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have seen them on Gunbroker but I've never seen one in a shop. I will be very happy to keep an eye out for one. Somehow I find myself in gun shops quite often. :D

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I have seen them on Gunbroker but I've never seen one in a shop. I will be very happy to keep an eye out for one. Somehow I find myself in gun shops quite often. :D

Thanks, I was hoping I wasn't the only person who likes to go to my LGS on a regular basis to look at and touch all the guns. ;)

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hi Gungirl65, that's awesome that you are looking for a pistol for your son.
    I WAS going to get on here and tell you that he'd have to be 21 to carry, BUT... it looks like 18 is ok. Below the info is copied and pasted: I would suggest that you verify this elsewhere too.
    For the gun, if you can't find one, I'd suggest a steel framed CZ as a good alternative. It'd also be easier to find replacement parts or upgrades.
    ------------
    Looks like Indiana is the place to go if you want your CCW early. Did a little homework and here's what I found.

The superintendent may not deny a license under this section because the information required under this subsection is unavailable at the time the superintendent would otherwise issue a license. The state police department may accept private donations or grants to defray the cost of printing and mailing the information required under this subsection.
    (g) A license to carry a handgun shall not be issued to any person who:
    (1) has been convicted of a felony;
    (2) has had a license to carry a handgun suspended, unless the person's license has been reinstated;
    (3) is under eighteen (18) years of age;
    Source:

Concealed Carry in Indiana

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Hi Gungirl65, that's awesome that you are looking for a pistol for your son.
    I WAS going to get on here and tell you that he'd have to be 21 to carry, BUT... it looks like 18 is ok. Below the info is copied and pasted: I would suggest that you verify this elsewhere too.
    For the gun, if you can't find one, I'd suggest a steel framed CZ as a good alternative. It'd also be easier to find replacement parts or upgrades.
    ------------
    Looks like Indiana is the place to go if you want your CCW early. Did a little homework and here's what I found.

The superintendent may not deny a license under this section because the information required under this subsection is unavailable at the time the superintendent would otherwise issue a license. The state police department may accept private donations or grants to defray the cost of printing and mailing the information required under this subsection.
    (g) A license to carry a handgun shall not be issued to any person who:
    (1) has been convicted of a felony;
    (2) has had a license to carry a handgun suspended, unless the person's license has been reinstated;
    (3) is under eighteen (18) years of age;
    Source:
    Concealed Carry in Indiana

You can open carry or ccw at 18 in Indiana.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Did some searching. GG, have you looked into these guns? Far be it for me to tell someone else what he or she might like, but... Have you or your son ever heard of Canik? They make very high quality firearms. Might be worth looking into since this seems like the proverbial needle in the haystack.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Did some searching. GG, have you looked into these guns? Far be it for me to tell someone else what he or she might like, but... Have you or your son ever heard of Canik? They make very high quality firearms. Might be worth looking into since this seems like the proverbial needle in the haystack.

I know there are lots of perfectly nice guns out there. I really like the CZ's. However my son wants one of these to carry. He is very much in to history & foreign countries so I'm sure his rational has to do with one or the other. Either that or it is featured in one of his favorite video games. :)

He is a very basic young man. Like many young men he has his mind set on this gun and until he finds a different one to obsess over, this is the only one he wants. I'm just glad that if found it's a fairly inexpensive gun. It's the equivalent of a descent PC video card.

He has a Yugo M57 Tokarev he has said will be his carry gun if he doesn't find one of these. This is even after I have offered to let him have my Sig Ultra Compact 1911 to carry. He likes the military guns better than the modern ones. My job is to find what he wants, not disagree with his choice. ;)

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I know there are lots of perfectly nice guns out there. I really like the CZ's. However my son wants one of these to carry. He is very much in to history & foreign countries so I'm sure his rational has to do with one or the other. Either that or it is featured in one of his favorite video games. :)

He is a very basic young man. Like many young men he has his mind set on this gun and until he finds a different one to obsess over, this is the only one he wants. I'm just glad that if found it's a fairly inexpensive gun. It's the equivalent of a descent PC video card.

He has a Yugo M57 Tokarev he has said will be his carry gun if he doesn't find one of these. This is even after I have offered to let him have my Sig Ultra Compact 1911 to carry. He likes the military guns better than the modern ones. My job is to find what he wants, not disagree with his choice. ;)
    I understand completely. But since they seem to be so scarce he may have to make a second choice. I was trying to think of another milsurp 9mm or .40 that he might like but, having a son myself, I know that he would probably have to come up with the idea himself. You might ask him for three examples of guns he would like to carry. I love to look for somewhat obscure guns but the model you mentioned doesn't seem to be available anywhere. If you don't mind, I will keep looking. I love the search. :D

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I understand completely. But since they seem to be so scarce he may have to make a second choice. I was trying to think of another milsurp 9mm or .40 that he might like but, having a son myself, I know that he would probably have to come up with the idea himself. You might ask him for three examples of guns he would like to carry. I love to look for somewhat obscure guns but the model you mentioned doesn't seem to be available anywhere. If you don't mind, I will keep looking. I love the search. :D

Thanks, the more eyes looking, the better.

He's already admitted we probably won't be able to find one but he would like one if we can. That's half the fun. If I do find one, I am super mom. ;)

He used to do this to me with PC video games too. He didn't want them until they were obscure & hard to find. I like the hunt. He likes the bounty.

Until he comes up with a different alternative, I will keep looking for this one. You are very right, it does have to be his idea.

He seldom asks for anything, so when he does I try to get him what he wants.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Good luck. I know how it is. I remember a long time ago looking for certain Ninja Turtle action figures for my kids.

When Halo 2 first came out the action figures were no where to be found locally. My little man really wanted some so I spent all kinds of time and ridiculous amounts of money winning them on Ebay for him. It's what good parents do. ;)

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond

I showed my son the Canik website. He admitted the guns were cool but said that he will never have a Turkish weapon due to his dislike of the Ottoman Empire.

He plays a lot of historical video games and the Ottoman Empire has always kicked his butt in those games. So for now Turkish weapons are not a consideration for him. Boys.......... :rolleyes:

I like the Canik Light L-120, it's pretty sweet. Who sells the Caniks?

CAN?K 55 - Samsun Yurt Savunma Sanayi ve Ticaret A.?.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I am Serbian and I have all of the rifles and almost of the pistols fielded by the Yugoslav/Serbian military. Cheaperthandirt sometimes has the M88 for sale. I have one, the sights on it are okay for hitting big targets at close range. I plan on getting it refinished. Mags are really hard to locate. I only know of one guy who has spare mags and when he occasionally has them he charges $40. They are always at the Indy 1500, the last one I saw the seller wanted $500. He was not negotiable on his price.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I asked my son last night why he wants this particle gun. He said it is because he likes Zustava. Zustava is the same company that made his SKS and M57. He also likes the simplicity of the Takarov design. He said it is the same as his M57 to take apart and clean. It's just a more modern version.

Ok, so maybe he has thought about this gun a little more than I thought he had. Now I really want to find one. Has anyone found one yet? ;)

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Has anyone came across one of these yet? I am hoping to hit the 1500 on Friday but if anyone sees a M88a there please let me know in case I miss it.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Check Tombstone Tactical. They are listing one for sale under $300. They also seem to have one on Gunsamerica.

Thanks for the info. TT shows the pic but doesn't have them in stock. I couldn't find them at all on GA. But thanks for two more sites to add to my list of places to browse.

Top Bottom