Eliminating the Ruger Mk III & 22/45 mag disconnect feature.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    First off, I'm sorry I don't have any pictures, so I will have to use words to describe what I'm talking about. There are lots of good pictures on the internet though and this is easy to do.
    The reason I went this route is because I forgot when I ordered a Volquartsen trigger kit for my Ruger, Mark III 22/45 Lite to also order a Ruger, Mark II hammer pivot bushing and I didn't want to wait or pay for the extra shipping for a new one.
    As many of you already know about using a #10 sized washer to replace the magazine disconnect bar, I will only describe how I did it.
    I used a loose fitting wooden dowl through the inside of the washer and held the edge of the washer softly against a grinding wheel and let it spin to grind down the outside diameter of the washer to .240", this is so it won't interfere with the sear engagement and then cleaned up the rough edges with a file and buffed it.
    Now the inside diameter of the #10 washer I had was just a smiggin to big and fit loosely on the hammer pivot shaft, so I used a 5mm, 1/4" socket and a hammer on each flat side of the washer to swage the center diameter down just a few thousandths so it would fit snugly on the shaft and not move around and then pushed the washer onto the long end of the shaft up against the shoulder so it was firmly held in place and then reassembled the pistol and checked the function.
    The kit and the washer works great and now I have a very light, compact .22 that has a 2-1/4 pound trigger pull that breaks like glass and the magazines fall free when changed.
    Although I liked the Ruger, "Lite" from the start, I like it even better now.
    I hope you were able to follow my description.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I went with the Sam Lam bushing to eliminate the mag disconnect but sounds like this would've been a much easier and cheaper alternative. Nicely done. Rep'ed!

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I went with the Sam Lam bushing to eliminate the mag disconnect but sounds like this would've been a much easier and cheaper alternative. Nicely done. Rep'ed!

Well I would have also but I was anxious to get it finished and it turned out so well and I saved all that money for the part and shipping so I felt good about it.

Top Bottom