• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I just picked up a S&W 625 today and would like to know if anyone can put a nice polish on it. The finish is seriously lacking but I've been looking for one of these for quite some time so I couldn't pass it up.

I'd like to find someone in the East Central part of the state so I can drop it off instead of having to ship it. I'm in Randoph Co but don't mind driving a couple hours if needed.

Any ideas?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Could you post some pics? Many of the 625 models had a matte bead blast finish. If indeed it is polished, get some Simichrome or Flitz and a soft rag and go to town. You will be amazed what 20-30 minutes of buffing by hand will do.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I'll have to put the pictures up later on. Don't have any taken yet, I just brought it home a couple of hours ago. It's the performance center version with the laminated grips. Product: Model 625

I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to the the matte finish. I'll update the first posting as soon as I can.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Does it look like this?

attachment.php

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Nope, it's not the JM edition, it's the one that has the multi colored laminated grips on it. The top of the barrel and frame is the only part that has the matte finish, the rest in standard stainless. The quality of finish on Smiths has gone way down over the years. There are light brush marks all over this thing. They're light enough I don't think they will show up in a picture but I have to wait until I can get my camera back from Dad this weekend to get decent (not cell phone) pictures up.

Even if the finish was like the standard stainless from 20 years ago I would be happy. The standard finish on a stainless Taurus puts this to shame. I don't really have the time to take a tube of flitz to it, I don't think that would even work out all the super fine lines in it anyway. It needs a proper wet sand and polish. It would look great with the high polish that I've seen on some of the Rugers in the Wheelgun Picture thread.

Top Bottom