• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • patricktjms

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Springport, Indiana
    So my 17 gen 4 is a very accurate weapon at any distance that I like to shoot. I do find myself having to hold low to get in the center of the target. About a 6 o'clock hold. Uncommon? Fixes for this? Normal? Crazy operator? Bad eyes? :dunno:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    At what range? You understand the path the bullet takes, starting below poa, traveling over poa, then dropping back below?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    From 100yrds on in I aim center mass and hit center mass. No Kentucky windage here. It is more likely your grip, maybe pushing with the heel of your hand.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Im dead on at 7-10. I dont have the want or the need to try at 100 yrds.

I suspect that if you shoot at about 50, you'll find your poi is close to your poa again.

The laws of physics won't allow your glock to be dead on at every distance from the muzzle to 100 yards, or even 50. With a normal(ish) zero, it will be low out to maybe 7 yards, where the bullet will cross the poa on its way up. It will continually rise and be higher than poa until it hits the top of its path at maybe 25, then start to fall back toward the earth until it crosses poa again at 50ish, where it will continue to drop. This is all assuming a normal zero, earth gravity, and a stock pistol held upright. Shoot it upside down and you'll change all of those numbers.

Last edited:

patricktjms

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Springport, Indiana
    I guess I should clarify. I fully understand the physics, trojectory, and logic involved in points of impact. What I guess I want to know is what can I do with this weapon to adjust it, or me, to be dead on at 25 yards.(other than hold low) This is where I prefer my zero at.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    6 o'clock hold is the way glocks (and most handguns) are meant to be aimed without optics.

Where did you find that at? My rifle school taught us the "pumpkin on a post" hold shooting 100yrds out. I have shot MANY MANY Glocks and they have all been center hold straight out of the box. Target guns are a different story. I did own a Bulgarian Makarov once that was 6 o'clock hold and it drove me nuts shooting it. In the 13yrs as a firearms instructor I cannot ever remember teaching the 6 o'clock hold for pistol shooting.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Where did you find that at? My rifle school taught us the "pumpkin on a post" hold shooting 100yrds out. I have shot MANY MANY Glocks and they have all been center hold straight out of the box. Target guns are a different story. I did own a Bulgarian Makarov once that was 6 o'clock hold and it drove me nuts shooting it. In the 13yrs as a firearms instructor I cannot ever remember teaching the 6 o'clock hold for pistol shooting.

r03xfs.jpeg

I am meaning that sight picture #2 is the correct POA for the bull at most used distances.

I imagine you guys though I was talking about #1 :)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    r03xfs.jpeg

I am meaning that sight picture #2 is the correct POA for the bull at most used distances.

I imagine you guys though I was talking about #1 :)

Nope. I'm talking about #3 "center hold", which is used for most combat handguns.

#2 is "6 o'clock hold" and is typically used more for target sights.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Nope. I'm talking about #3 "center hold", which is used for most combat handguns.

I guess I'm doing it wrong like many others then ;)

glock-sights.gif

690d1351887902-question-abour-standard-glock-sights-imagescaaf2t2t.jpg

I guess a good question is are you shooting bullseye, or training for a potential SD situation? Dots are for quick acquisition and not precision.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I guess a good question is are you shooting bullseye, or training for a potential SD situation? Dots are for quick acquisition and not precision.
    SD/IDPA/USPSA, if I were shooting bullseye I'd use target sights. :D
    Nobody has any solutions ?

Well, if its truly the sights and not operator error, you can either hold, or replace the sights. The easiest way would be to get sights that are adjustable for elevation and zero them where/how you want. Otherwise, you can experiment with different height front sights to find your zero at desired range. :ingo:

patricktjms

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Springport, Indiana
    Well, if its truly the sights and not operator error, you can either hold, or replace the sights. The easiest way would be to get sights that are adjustable for elevation and zero them where/how you want. Otherwise, you can experiment with different height front sights to find your zero at desired range. :ingo:

Thank you kind sir. Im not saying its a sight issue, but if adjustable sights get me the zero at the yardage I like, then adjustable sights it is.

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN

#2 is "6 o'clock hold" and is typically used more for target sights.

Agreed, combat sights are meant to cover the target. I have never seen fixed sights that are meant to aim the way the 1st picture shows, like the OP is describing.

It could be your grip or what your wrist does when pulling the trigger and during the recoil.

Top Bottom