• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I've not looked into Kahr much, but I have someone interested in a potential trade and they've got a Karh CW9 and a Kahr MK9. What are your thoughts on these two?

I'm considering a smaller caliber weapon as I do shoot considerably better as the caliber size goes down. After taking my relatively new (to me) 4566TSW out today for the 3rd time I left thinking my next purchase would be a 9MM. I'm a skinny guy with tiny wrists, maybe a 45 isn't the best choice for me? (But damn do I love shooting it!) I shoot much better with my buddy's .40 XDM and other friend's .40 Taurus (unsure of model). My Ruger MKI that is 40+ years old? Hitting paper everytime with good groups from twice the distance I was shooting my .45 at. I'd say 9MM would probably be more appropriate for me, all things considered.

Anyhow, just trying to get some opinion on Kahr, specifically the models above. What are your thoughts?

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I can't comment on either of those two models, but I do really like the Kahr sitting in my pocket now. I have a CM9, which is the cheaper version of the PM9. I've always been a fan of Kahr triggers since they are so damn smooth for a striker fired pistol. The long reset can take some getting used to however. I'm also a big fan of their stock sights. I put straight 8 sights on my G23 that I normally carry, so I am used to that type of sight picture.

I have not had any problems with my CM9 and was quite surprised by the accuracy of the little gun. They are not without their quirks, however, the manual does state you should always use the slide release to load a new magazine, as opposed to the "sling-shot" method of loading. I have found that if you do ride the slide forward at all when loading from slide-lock the round with get caught up on the feed ramp. A quick hit with your palm on the rear of the slide will load the round. Properly "sling-shotting" the slide will load the round just fine. Their slim-ness would probably work well for a skinny guy like yourself as they wont cause a big bulge on your waist making it difficult to conceal.

If you can find a range that has one to rent and see how they feel to you. The only real downside to me is their limited capacity when compared to other modern semi-autos.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I am a longtime Kahr owner and fan. I have owned an MK9, and it is the ONE handgun that I regret having sold.

Of the two, the MK9 is smaller and better built, but heavier. What values is the other guy assigning to each? Is it a pick one, or both proposition?

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    My wife has a CM9. She shoots it really well and has never had any issues with it. It is a nice looking gun and I like the size. I personally do not shoot it well, having a hard time getting use to the long trigger pull and reset. With that being said, it's my wife's gun so I don't get to shoot it often.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    I am a longtime Kahr owner and fan. I have owned an MK9, and it is the ONE handgun that I regret having sold.

Of the two, the MK9 is smaller and better built, but heavier. What values is the other guy assigning to each? Is it a pick one, or both proposition?

For the sake of being on the same page, this is what I have to trade and what he has to trade.

I've got a S&W 4566TSW. It's a great gun that I've fed 300+ rounds through with no hiccups, it's gone bang every time with all 4 brands of .45ACP I've put in it. Trouble is I'm just not that accurate with it. Perhaps with time, I'd be as accurate with it as I am with smaller calibers. Maybe not. I'm fond of it as it's my first handgun purchase for myself, as my other pistol was a gift. It's big, has character, and is a good lookin' pistol. I've also got a new Galco holster for a P220 that works well with it, as well as a Hogue grip for it that is also less than a week old. (Plus around 75 rounds leftover after this mornings target practice).

What he has is:

Kahr CW9 (plus cash on his end to even out the trade)
    Kahr MK9 (2-mags, & crossbreed supertuck.)
    Ruger LCP (380)
    Ruger 10/22 (carbine w/stainless Tasco scope & 25-rd Butler Creek mag)

If I were to trade, I'd either want to trade for the MK9 outright. His MK9 for my S&W. If not that, I'd probably want to trade for the CW9 and the LCP together, or the CW9 w/ the 10/22 (I made another thread about wanting to get my first rifle). Or the LCP and the 10/22. I'm just not sure.

I've been eying the LCP's, but in 9MM. They seem well reviewed and I like their small size. I've also been wanting to get a rifle, a 10/22 as a mater of fact, as I also own a Ruger MKI pistol so I already have a lot of .22 ammo.

I'm really fond of my S&W but am not sure if it's fond of me :P I've not got my LTCH yet, but I do hope to get it soon, and my 4566TSW isn't very practical for carrying. It'd be great for the bedside, but with my luck and history with it I'd be putting holes in the wall and not in the intruder if my door gets kicked open at 4AM, haha.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Before you buy a gun to fix your shooting problem, you should diagnose your shooting problem. Do you know why you shoot better with smaller caliber? If you don't, you are just throwing money away.

Maybe the problem is the software, not the hardware. Perhaps a larger caliber just magnifies your problem, which you have even when shooting a smaller caliber.

Or maybe the problem is the hardware. In that case, you might want to shoot the gun(s) before you buy them.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Before you buy a gun to fix your shooting problem, you should diagnose your shooting problem. Do you know why you shoot better with smaller caliber? If you don't, you are just throwing money away.

Maybe the problem is the software, not the hardware. Perhaps a larger caliber just magnifies your problem, which you have even when shooting a smaller caliber.

Or maybe the problem is the hardware. In that case, you might want to shoot the gun(s) before you buy them.

I'm a novice shooter so it very well could be me and not the gun itself, however I was shooting much more accurately with the two different .40's I've had the chance to shoot (some Taurus and a XDM40) and very accurately with my Ruger MKI. While there is still improvement to be made with my trigger control and form, there is noticeable improvement with my accuracy as the caliber gets smaller.

As I am wishing to eventually carry, I want to have something that I can shoot accurately with as well as conceal easily. I may find that I become more accurate with my S&W over time, however that will not make it easier to conceal on my frame. So that'd leave me needing to purchase a more practical carry pistol in the future anyhow and would leave my S&W mainly for the house and range.

Just mulling this all over.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    had my pm9 for about six months now...its never melafunctioned on me, and whiles its not an lcp...it does fit in my pocket...i like it very well so far

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You might want to ask if you can test fire the two Kahrs before trading. They are the same basic design so the function is pretty much identical. The MK9 has a metal frame, so it is heavier. Also, it is a 6+1 gun while the CW9 is a 7+1 gun. The extra length in the grip means that the MK9 takes a 2-finger grip while the CW9 takes a 3-finger grip. They may handle very differently for you because of the weight and finger differences.

Kahr has a unique trigger. It is a long, smooth, double-action only. There is no shorter reset like on a Glock. It is a very good trigger, but just different. Some people like it. Some don't.

Finally, the MK9 can be a true pocket carry. The CW9 will only fit in the largest pockets, so it is marginal for that use.

alhambra lion

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I have two Kahrs - the P380 and the CM9. I've had the CM9 for about a year. I must have ~1000 rounds through it of various cheap FMJ and mostly Hornady CD JHP. Never a hiccup. The P380 I've only had for a few months but it has been right up there with my Sig P238 as the best pocket .380 I have tried. It is actually fun to shoot, which is more than I can say for the Ruger LCP. Both of my Kahrs have been reliable from day 1 and both have earned spots in my carry rotation.

These guns do have a few quirks that I will be up front about. At first, both guns were VERY tight. It was hard to even rack the slide on my CM9. Being so tight, I could not sling shot a round into the chamber. I always had to use the slide stop as it says to do in the manual. After 600 rounds or so I was able to sling shot rounds in like normal. That is when I was comfortable carrying it. Not being able to perform a tap, rack, bang in an oh **** moment was what held me back from using it as my carry gun. After that problem was solved I had no issues trusting it with my life. I have been able to rack one in without using the slide stop for the last 500 rounds or so. The only reason it has been retired from my concealed carry rotation is I found a Shield, whose trigger more closely resembles the Glocks I am familiar with. Otherwise, great micro 9mm.

Also, a lot of people have the issue of magazines not dropping free. Particularly in the polymer frames. If that matters to you, you may want to check that before trading for a polymer frame Kahr.

The other thing to note is the trigger. It is loooooonnnnnngggg. It is DAO, but it is a VERY smooth and light DAO. I hate DA pulls. I own one DA/SA gun - a CZ P-01. And it is range gun only. I also hate wheel guns. So for me to tell you that I actually like the trigger on a Kahr is saying a lot. And I do like it.

I have two guns from this manufacturer. I can tell you of my personal experience and feelings. They are positive ones.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    You might want to ask if you can test fire the two Kahrs before trading. They are the same basic design so the function is pretty much identical. The MK9 has a metal frame, so it is heavier. Also, it is a 6+1 gun while the CW9 is a 7+1 gun. The extra length in the grip means that the MK9 takes a 2-finger grip while the CW9 takes a 3-finger grip. They may handle very differently for you because of the weight and finger differences.

Kahr has a unique trigger. It is a long, smooth, double-action only. There is no shorter reset like on a Glock. It is a very good trigger, but just different. Some people like it. Some don't.

Finally, the MK9 can be a true pocket carry. The CW9 will only fit in the largest pockets, so it is marginal for that use.

I have two Kahrs - the P380 and the CM9. I've had the CM9 for about a year. I must have ~1000 rounds through it of various cheap FMJ and mostly Hornady CD JHP. Never a hiccup. The P380 I've only had for a few months but it has been right up there with my Sig P238 as the best pocket .380 I have tried. It is actually fun to shoot, which is more than I can say for the Ruger LCP. Both of my Kahrs have been reliable from day 1 and both have earned spots in my carry rotation.

These guns do have a few quirks that I will be up front about. At first, both guns were VERY tight. It was hard to even rack the slide on my CM9. Being so tight, I could not sling shot a round into the chamber. I always had to use the slide stop as it says to do in the manual. After 600 rounds or so I was able to sling shot rounds in like normal. That is when I was comfortable carrying it. Not being able to perform a tap, rack, bang in an oh **** moment was what held me back from using it as my carry gun. After that problem was solved I had no issues trusting it with my life. I have been able to rack one in without using the slide stop for the last 500 rounds or so. The only reason it has been retired from my concealed carry rotation is I found a Shield, whose trigger more closely resembles the Glocks I am familiar with. Otherwise, great micro 9mm.

Also, a lot of people have the issue of magazines not dropping free. Particularly in the polymer frames. If that matters to you, you may want to check that before trading for a polymer frame Kahr.

The other thing to note is the trigger. It is loooooonnnnnngggg. It is DAO, but it is a VERY smooth and light DAO. I hate DA pulls. I own one DA/SA gun - a CZ P-01. And it is range gun only. I also hate wheel guns. So for me to tell you that I actually like the trigger on a Kahr is saying a lot. And I do like it.

I have two guns from this manufacturer. I can tell you of my personal experience and feelings. They are positive ones.

Both good info on the Kahr. I have 2 Kahrs also. Both are the CM9. You should be able to find a new one for under $400. I like them because they are so small and easy to conceal. I was looking at a shield the other day and really liked it, but it was not as small as the CM9. More like the size of the CW9. If you can try it before you buy it great. I got luckey. I really liked it without testing it.
    0701131133a_0001_zpse59367e9.jpg

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis

I understand the regret you have for selling your MK9. I had one 8 years ago. And sold it to fund another gun. Best conceal carry gun I ever owned. It was heavy compared to the other Kahr models Ive held. But that didnt bother me since Im used to carrying 1911's.

grasshopperlegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Cartersburg.
    I have the CW9 and I have had it about 6 months now. I like the feel of it and the trigger pull. I haven't had any issues with it as far as jamming or miss feeds. I carry it quite often. I hope this helps you out.

SmithGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have the PM9 with Tritium night sights. It is the most accurate gun in that size of any I have ever shot before, and it is very easy to carry concealed in your pocket. The trigger is very smooth and predictable. I do have two minor complaints. The design of the magazines could be improved. The smaller magazine is all metal and has edges that can hurt your hand a little while adding bullet to it. The larger magazine has a plastic housing that only partially covers the magazine, resulting in an unsightly appearance. Here is a picture of it: KAHR PM9 9mm | Tactical Life

Also, you must pay attention to the direction of the recoil spring when dissembling. If you re install it backward, it will result in a nasty jam that will prevent the slide from moving backward.

All in all, the accuracy and concealability still make it a winner in my book. I would highly recommend it.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Thanks for all the responses everyone!

What would you value a good condition, used, CW9? What about the CM9?

CM and CW should be priced about the same. We sell them at $399 new, so call it ~$300 used/VG.

What do you guys think about the stock sights? They're not like anything I've seen or used before.

They are the "Dot the I" design, like SIG-Sauer pistols used to have back in the day. Supposed to be pretty quick, but I'd replace them with night sights.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    CM and CW should be priced about the same. We sell them at $399 new, so call it ~$300 used/VG.

They are the "Dot the I" design, like SIG-Sauer pistols used to have back in the day. Supposed to be pretty quick, but I'd replace them with night sights.

That price sounds about right to me. The sights work fine. There is a CM9 in the classifieds for I think $415. It has 2 mags and some ammo. My last CM9 was $350 NIB and it had an extra mag. Plus $20 for shipping and $25 for paperwork. No tax. I would recommend the Talon grips. $17.99 direct from Talon. Free postage, and no tax.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    I have had a cw9 for 9 moths or so. I have only shot maybe 450 rounds with it, zero issues. I have done some upgrades to mine, night sight, p9 slide stop, stainless guide rod and 5# Wolff striker spring. I think the 5# spring is the best upgrade, only a few dollars and makes a huge difference. I can easily slingshot my slide, can't ride it home though or it will nose dive the first round. If you wanta light and thin gun go with the cm9 or cw9.

The rear "Dot the I" sights are really fast for quick center mass shots, although I have a hard time keeping a tight group with them. Like others said, the trigger is long but super smooth. Probably the best double action trigger on the market. I also recommend buying steel base plates for all of your mags, you almost loose the 3rd finger on the cw9 but I don't mind. It isn't a true 3 finger gun anyhow.

Thin is in!

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    I have a CW9 and a CW40. Love them both. The only flaw that I have found is the retainer spring that holds the slide stop. Use caution when reassembling to not bend it.

Top Bottom