• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cavskillz

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've came across a Walther p38 on a trade that I'm trying to figure out some info on. Just wondering what to look for when trying to put a value on it. I've done a quick search and haven't came up with enough info. All the numbers are matching and has the Waffenamt eagle 359 stamp. The serial number is (2xx b) and says AC 45. Ill have a picture up tomorrow hopefully to help. So far all I know is it was made in 1945.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    There are too many variables to guess at a Wartime P-38's value without making a complete appraisal.
    It can range from a few hundred for a specimen in poor condition, to several thousands for a piece in excellent shape or with some historical significance.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

I assume by now you know that ac is the Walther code (Mauser is byf and Spreewerk is cyq). Walther manufactured P.38's are a little more desirable. Does it have import marks (and sometimes they hide them very well). The photo doesn't tell much, it's a common Waffenamt. Common imports are running 500-600, wartime originals run 50-100% more based on a variety of factors. If you have an original numbered magazine, holster or capture papers, that ups value a lot.

cavskillz

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I haven't found any import marks of course there was a story with the gun about how it was taken from a soldier but I blew that off because there's no papers. The magazine is the original Walther magazine but no holster. Where could I take it to have it apraised?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    How do you know the mag is original? Unfortunately, dealers are not very reliable and many will try to swindle you. I can't think of anyone to recommend.

cavskillz

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ill have to check after work on the magazine, I only remember seeing the walther and eagle 359 stamp. That's one thing I didn't check to see if it had a serial number to match. Also was curious why the receiver had a double eagle 359 stamp and what the middle stamp means.

I was afraid about the honesty issue with getting it apraised.

update: magazine is a non original walther p1 magazine.

Last edited:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I would say a good WWII era P38 in good working condition would be safe between $600-$800 anyways without papers. P1's have dried up now it seems and they are going for at least $400 these days for perspective.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Ill have to check after work on the magazine, I only remember seeing the walther and eagle 359 stamp. That's one thing I didn't check to see if it had a serial number to match. Also was curious why the receiver had a double eagle 359 stamp and what the middle stamp means.

I was afraid about the honesty issue with getting it apraised.

update: magazine is a non original walther p1 magazine.

Necropost!

The first eagle/359 is the acceptance mark, the eagle/swastika is the firing proof mark, and the last eagle/359 is the military acceptance mark where it was accepted into military service.

As for the OP, the AC mark means it is a Walther gun, the 45 means it was made in 1945, and the 'b' means it was in the third batch of 10k guns produced. Production was at 10k guns per month in 1945 so the OP's gun was made in March of 1945, just before the Allies captured the factory. I have a January 1945 gun with no letter suffix.

Top Bottom