• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Covert8645

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    I have a Para-Ordnance 1911 GI Expert.

This pistol has less than 300 rounds through it and the other day when I was shooting it I noticed that typically after every 7 shots, the 8th round would load into chamber, the hammer would be cocked back properly, but when I pulled the trigger it wouldn't fire. I went through a few magazines and kept coming up with the same problem. Then it would happen sporadically, every 3rd shot or so or even after the 5th or 6th round. I don't know if this happened because it was so damn cold on Tuesday or what, but I took the pistol apart, cleaned it, and did functions checks with it and I couldn't replicate the problem.

I tried to rack the slide softly to see if that would perhaps not make the trigger reset, but it did. I tried to pull the hammer back first and then rack the slide to see if anything slipped or malfunctioned and I couldn't get it to replicate the problem then either.

Any ideas?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Your grip causing the grip safety or stubby thumb safety to re-engage would be the first suspects.

Covert8645

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    Your grip causing the grip safety or stubby thumb safety to re-engage would be the first suspects.

I always keep a high, tight grip on the pistol so the grip safety shouldn't be a problem. I normally keep both thumbs parallel to the deck and keep them aligned pointed towards the target and they are usually in contact with the thumb safety. But I would've thought that since the slide racks back and locks the hammer back, then slides forward and loads another round into chamber that it would reset the trigger.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I always keep a high, tight grip on the pistol so the grip safety shouldn't be a problem. I normally keep both thumbs parallel to the deck and keep them aligned pointed towards the target and they are usually in contact with the thumb safety. But I would've thought that since the slide racks back and locks the hammer back, then slides forward and loads another round into chamber that it would reset the trigger.

The grip safety on those doesn't look like it leaves much room for even a slightly loose grip. The fact that you can't replicate the problem makes it more likely it something you're doing and not the gun. Are you certain the trigger isn't re-setting, and not just being blocked by the grip safety?

If so, something is off with the disconnector. Could be gummed up, could be an improperly tuned sear spring.

Covert8645

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    No trigger job or anything. Just the standard factory trigger. I've looked the whole pistol over really well and can't find any shavings of any kind blocking or impeding anything. I might fiddle with my grip the next time I shoot to see if that makes any difference. I thought that I had a really solid grip so I didn't factor that in at the range when I was trouble shooting.

phil1640

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    peru
    Try putting a pencil down barrel with gun pointing up and pull trigger. It should shoot pencil out barrel if pre travel is set right.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You said the gun was dismantled and cleaned??

problem would not repeat after this. Were you shooting it or just cycling the slide??

I would also ask (as Kirk did) Over travel screw in place and properly adjusted??

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    After considering all that^ ... maybe look into the middle leaf of your sear spring. Maybe it's been bent too much and there is no longer a positive reset because of it.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    After considering all that^ ... maybe look into the middle leaf of your sear spring. Maybe it's been bent too much and there is no longer a positive reset because of it.
    I had thought this same thing. Just was waiting to hear it from another source.:laugh:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Wow! I'm a source, I'm a source!!

I'd like to thank all the little people who made this happen. I accept this award with a humble heart.
    HI, MOM!!

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar

I had thought this same thing. Just was waiting to hear it from another source.:laugh:

Para uses their own type of sear springs, standard sear springs will not fit a Para. But check it a suggested above.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Para uses their own type of sear springs, standard sear springs will not fit a Para.
    I did not know that! Thanks!
    I considered buying a Para once. I don't really remember why I didn't, but that's one I've never owned. I'm kind of looking at S&W currently... know anything different about them? PM it as to not drag the thread farther off... Thankies!

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I did not know that! Thanks!
    I considered buying a Para once. I don't really remember why I didn't, but that's one I've never owned. I'm kind of looking at S&W currently... know anything different about them? PM it as to not drag the thread farther off... Thankies!

I have the SR 1911 and like it, the trigger resets every time :rockwoot: Never owned a S&W, so I'm not sure if they reset or not. :cool:

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had an S&W PD1911 Caspian. It had an external ejector much like the sig. From my brief experience with it I would own another one if the oportunity came along. It looked like most all teh other bits were standard 1911 but memory may not be serving tonight.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    cold weather can cause this. polishing the disconnector where it is in the tunnel is a good idea and check inside the tunnel for a burr. stiffen the middle finger of the sear spring and maybe a lighter oil in the winter can help.
    Also those that mentioned the over travel screw on the trigger is a good point also.

That is what I would do first.

Top Bottom