Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Plinker

1911 trigger not resetting?

I have a Para-Ordnance 1911 GI Expert.

This pistol has less than 300 rounds through it and the other day when I was shooting it I noticed that typically after every 7 shots, the 8th round would load into chamber, the hammer would be cocked back properly, but when I pulled the trigger it wouldn't fire. I went through a few magazines and kept coming up with the same problem. Then it would happen sporadically, every 3rd shot or so or even after the 5th or 6th round. I don't know if this happened because it was so damn cold on Tuesday or what, but I took the pistol apart, cleaned it, and did functions checks with it and I couldn't replicate the problem.

I tried to rack the slide softly to see if that would perhaps not make the trigger reset, but it did. I tried to pull the hammer back first and then rack the slide to see if anything slipped or malfunctioned and I couldn't get it to replicate the problem then either.

Any ideas?

Your grip causing the grip safety or stubby thumb safety to re-engage would be the first suspects.
    shooting slow is dumb - Billy the Kid

Plinker
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob377 View Post
    Your grip causing the grip safety or stubby thumb safety to re-engage would be the first suspects.
    I always keep a high, tight grip on the pistol so the grip safety shouldn't be a problem. I normally keep both thumbs parallel to the deck and keep them aligned pointed towards the target and they are usually in contact with the thumb safety. But I would've thought that since the slide racks back and locks the hammer back, then slides forward and loads another round into chamber that it would reset the trigger.

Check for shavings in the overtravel adjustment screw hole.
    Keep your piston clean..........

Quote Originally Posted by Covert8645 View Post
    I always keep a high, tight grip on the pistol so the grip safety shouldn't be a problem. I normally keep both thumbs parallel to the deck and keep them aligned pointed towards the target and they are usually in contact with the thumb safety. But I would've thought that since the slide racks back and locks the hammer back, then slides forward and loads another round into chamber that it would reset the trigger.
    The grip safety on those doesn't look like it leaves much room for even a slightly loose grip. The fact that you can't replicate the problem makes it more likely it something you're doing and not the gun. Are you certain the trigger isn't re-setting, and not just being blocked by the grip safety?

If so, something is off with the disconnector. Could be gummed up, could be an improperly tuned sear spring.
    shooting slow is dumb - Billy the Kid

Marksman
    sounds like you may not have enough pre creep or pre travel. dos it the trigger have a short reset??? if you have done a trigger job and goten rid of the pre travel and over travel this will occur.

Plinker
    No trigger job or anything. Just the standard factory trigger. I've looked the whole pistol over really well and can't find any shavings of any kind blocking or impeding anything. I might fiddle with my grip the next time I shoot to see if that makes any difference. I thought that I had a really solid grip so I didn't factor that in at the range when I was trouble shooting.

Try putting a pencil down barrel with gun pointing up and pull trigger. It should shoot pencil out barrel if pre travel is set right.

Do you have an overtravel screw installed?
    Is it November 4th yet?

You said the gun was dismantled and cleaned??

problem would not repeat after this. Were you shooting it or just cycling the slide??

I would also ask (as Kirk did) Over travel screw in place and properly adjusted??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast