What is a Good Reliable 22 Cal. 1911 Pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hosshauler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Clinton
    So I have a couple of 1911 pistols in 45 ACP. I like them so much I got to thinking that I NEED a 22 caliber version. I see a few available including Sig, Chiappa, Citadel, and Colt by Walther. I've heard horror stories so I thought I would defer to the experts... What do you guys think? Who makes the best one that will function even with low velocity ammo? Thanks.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO Chiappa. I own one and it is garbage.
    I believe the Puma and Citadel are the same thing, just under a different name.
    I would go with the Colt (Walther) or GSG. I would take the GSG over the Colt (Walther).
    I have not heard of any 22lr pistol in the 1911 style, which will function with low velocity ammo.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Ruger MK III 22/45 if you aren't interested in working from the holster. Great pistol, same grip and pretty much runs on what ever you feed it. It's also a real tack driver with a little work on the trigger.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III mechanic [FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT]1911 & M&P Mechanic

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    GSG and Sig are the same pistol. The Brownings are cool but tiny.

I have a GSG conversion that I use on my Kimber, works great. Cycles most standard velocity ammo and hasn't been picky on high velocity

Personally, I'd go with the GSG or one of their conversions

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'd look at upper/slide conversions, too.

You get the same trigger you would use in your centerfire caliber. For obvious reasons you could train better like this.

Hosshauler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Clinton
    Thanks all. I like the idea of buying a new gun rather than a conversion. I got a chance to go to the local shops and checked out some 1911 22's. Based on feedback here and the guns I handled, I think the GSG/Sig is definitely the way to go. I like the Browning too but too small and not a good practice piece for my full size autos. Thanks again.

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    I've have a SIG 1911-22-OG and it's fantastic. I've also has a Smith Wesson M&P 22 LR and it was a great shooter. The browning is nice..my wife has one and it's interesting at 85% of a regular 1911 size. You wouldn't think that 15% smaller would make much difference but it does.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I have a 22/45 and have had no issues feeding any 22lr ammunition through it. I bought it about 4 years ago and it's seen around 9-10,000 rounds. Probably 2/3's of that has been with a suppressor threaded on.

I had a GSG 1911 but ultimately ended up trading it out to keep just the 22/45 as my only 22lr handgun. Nothing wrong with the gun and I'd actually recommend it if you don't go 22/45.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    First choice would be the marvel, it's a conversion but you can put it on a dedicated frame, by far the rolls Royce of 1911 22 cal guns.
    I would probably opt for a ruger MKII vs the MKIII, I've heard too many bad things about the newer guns.

JMTCWYMMV

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Get the Ruger 22/45.

That way if there IS some kind of reliability problem, it can be remedied. That action is extreemly well documented - any issue you could have with it has been experienced and corrected over on rimfirecentral forums.

If a part breaks, you can buy aftermarket replacements easily.

If you have some issue you cant correct yourself, Ruger is about 1000% more likely to actually fix it for you Vs. the manufacturor of whatever discount rebadged pot metal 1911 look alike you buy as an alternetive.

vork08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    NWI
    I've have a SIG 1911-22-OG and it's fantastic.

I also have the SIG. Fantastic in feel, and the only problem I have had with cheap ammo was with the ammo itself. The SIG has performed flawlessly with over 1000rds through it. Each trip to the range it is usually fired by 6-10 different people, at least 40rds per

Hosshauler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Clinton
    I have some GM gift cards to burn up. The Sig sounds perfect. I also like the 22/45 but this time I'm going to stick with the 1911 platform. I will save the cheap ammo for my rifles and revolver. I'll find a round the Sig likes and stick with it.

Top Bottom