• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Over spring break, I am trying to trade my Romanian Tokarev for something in 9x18mm over spring break. (NWI people I wouldnt mind a FTF deal plus cash). Essentially, what I want out of the gun is something that I can stash in my car when I drive through gary to go to IU northwest and keep in my apartment as a home defense gun next year in bloomington. I know there's larger more capable options and smaller pistols, but given my price range, the need for concealability, concerns about overpenatration, the risk that it could get confiscated or stole, cost of ammo, shootabilty, and accuracy of the fixed barrel blowback operating system.(within 15yards)

So, anyone know any decent 9x18mm defensive ammo, nightstand safes, ways to keep it in the car, and opinions on the hungarian and polish models? I personally have shot an east german makarov and liked and I think I would like a cz-82, but does anyone have any first-hand experience with them?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I would stick with the Makarov pistol or the CZ-82. CZ wins on capacity. One was just listed in the classifieds in north Indy for $260 which is a great price. These have gone up significantly as supply has decreased.

the P-64s are kinda small and chunky and the FEG PA-63s are punishing due to their light alloy frame IMHO.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I would think you will do way better if you sell your Tok first. CZ-82s and Makarovs both are going to be about $300 or so retail and maybe a little less for a private sale. Most folks selling them are getting away from the unusual/odd milsurp type gun and so may not want to trade for a Tokarev. Not saying you won't find one, but seems like it will be easier to sell & buy what you want.

Last edited:

~Jeff~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have a CZ82 and absolutely love it, it's extremely accurate and a pleasure to shoot. Plus it's small enough to carry without any problems. I keep Hornady XTP in mine for personal protection and shoot cheap old Brown Bear for plinking.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    The Radom P64 are nice, well built and cheap guns. I purchased mine from snorko. I have seen them sell for $150-$300. So look around before you buy. I use mine as a car gun and leave it outside all year round. The finish on the gun is very hard and durable.
    p003.jpg

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    ...snip...So, anyone know any decent 9x18mm defensive ammo, nightstand safes, ways to keep it in the car, and opinions on the hungarian and polish models? I personally have shot an east german makarov and liked and I think I would like a cz-82, but does anyone have any first-hand experience with them?

I really liked my Polish P-64. I had two of them. I carried one daily. For an all steel gun, it packed nicely. I installed some Wolfe springs - I got the recoil pack and a hammer spring pack. Made shooting it much more enjoyable.

I also had two CZ82s. Got them for the higher capacity. Sold them off when I sold the P-64s.

Either is a fine choice for what you want, in my opinion.

For ammunition, I shot Silver Bear or Brown Bear rounds for practice and plinking. I loaded the P-64 with Glaser Pow'R Ball rounds for carry. All my guns liked the round ball ammo, and I had issues using hollow points.

Here's the links for the springs...
    Springs for POLISH Semi-Auto Pistols

and the ammo...
    Pow'RBall

Hope you find what you're looking for!

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Might not want to have a firearm on campus. Its against policy at a scholastic institution or at any scholastic sponsored event.. in any school that has a ban on them. Pretty sure IU has that ban.
    If you're going to do this, don't tell even your best friend if you have a firearm. Hopefully your apt is off campus.

I had a friend expelled from Ball State because word traveled around that he carried a cc with him everywhere. Well campus PD got to him, started an investigstion, and expelled him for violation of school policy.
    I personally think its BS, but just saying... be very cautions of who knows that you carry on campus...

Its not illegal, but anything with violating school policy that large, especially a university in which you're enrolled in, usually carries grave consiquenes. Just my two cents brother.

Last edited:

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Might not want to have a firearm on campus. Its against policy at a scholastic institution or at any scholastic sponsored event.. in any school that has a ban on them. Pretty sure IU has that ban.
    If you're going to do this, don't tell even your best friend if you have a firearm. Hopefully your apt is off campus.

I had a friend expelled from Ball State because word traveled around that he carried a cc with him everywhere. Well campus PD got to him, started an investigstion, and expelled him for violation of school policy.
    I personally think its BS, but just saying... be very cautions of who knows that you carry on campus...

Its not illegal, but anything with violating school policy that large, especially a university in which you're enrolled in, usually carries grave consequences. Just my two cents brother.

I am going to get a off campus apt, and my fraternity is actually pro gun, we are gong to organize a "Gunday sunday" sometime this semester. Though I know IU's BS rules about guns, though I might keep something in my car at IUN, but out of sight, and if campus PD go through my car, there getting sued for illegal search and seizure.

Also anyone own the Polish p-83?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN

I don't have one, but got to shoot a friend's for about 100 rounds. Decent trigger, ergos are okay, fairly accurate but nothing like the actual Makarovs and CZ82/83. Magazines, parts, etc... are sketchy in availability. Will admit that it's kind of cool from a design standpoint: It's set up like the older model Sigs where the slide is stamped, then welded, the rest milled. While the P-83 doesn't exude quality, it does have some handmade qualities to it. Was reliable and every round went bang. He finished off the rest of the 500 round case without cleaning or issues that same day.

On the plus side, Lizbeth in the "Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" series of books carried and used one for defense. Not a show of it's reliability or anything, but has a cool factor to it.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I am going to get a off campus apt, and my fraternity is actually pro gun, we are gong to organize a "Gunday sunday" sometime this semester. Though I know IU's BS rules about guns, though I might keep something in my car at IUN, but out of sight, and if campus PD go through my car, there getting sued for illegal search and seizure.

Gotcha. Thats good for your frat, I'm all for that. My buddies frat was the same way.
    Don't worry, they wouldn't per say go searching your vehicle unless they lawfully obtained a search and seizure. Was just voicing my concern.

I've always wondered what a campus would do if there was an actual threat, involving a gun toting person, and a lawful citizen stopped his rampage with their cc. I've wondered if they'd make an exception for a hero, or still make them face consequences.

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Gotcha. Thats good for your frat, I'm all for that. My buddies frat was the same way.
    Don't worry, they wouldn't per say go searching your vehicle unless they lawfully obtained a search and seizure. Was just voicing my concern.

I've always wondered what a campus would do if there was an actual threat, involving a gun toting person, and a lawful citizen stopped his rampage with their cc. I've wondered if they'd make an exception for a hero, or still make them face consequences.

If they tried to kick you off, you could sue them and use the DC v Heller, McDonold v Chicago, and California decisions as precedent. What lawyer wouldnt want to take that case and also the university would look like a bunch of dumbasses. I dont know, I hate all the unpratical liberal people here

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The Radom P-64 CZAK makes a heck of a nice pocket gun. And the Pistolet Makarova is solid, reliable, and has an ingenious design. For what you're wanting, though, I'd definitely go with the Česká Zbrojovka vz.82 (or "CZ-82", if you will). In my opinion, it's a better made gun, is more ergonomic, has a larger capacity, and is more accurate. It is truly the Cadillac of 9x18 pistols. ;)

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    The Radom P-64 CZAK makes a heck of a nice pocket gun. And the Pistolet Makarova is solid, reliable, and has an ingenious design. For what you're wanting, though, I'd definitely go with the Česká Zbrojovka vz.82 (or "CZ-82", if you will). In my opinion, it's a better made gun, is more ergonomic, has a larger capacity, and is more accurate. It is truly the Cadillac of 9x18 pistols. ;)

Well more like the 1970's mercedes they copied to make the Ladas

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Well more like the 1970's mercedes they copied to make the Ladas

You've obviously been spending too much time at Nick's. Were you not even aware of the fact that Česká Zbrojovka ("CZ") firearms were/are made in Czechoslovakia/The Czech Republic? Lada automobiles are Russian. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    You've obviously been spending too much time at Nick's. Were you not even aware of the fact that Česká Zbrojovka ("CZ") firearms were/are made in Czechoslovakia/The Czech Republic? Lada automobiles are Russian. :rolleyes:

Lol I meant the mercedes they copied to make the ladas, and yes, I know the CZ-82 is czech, and the czechs got the bulk of the Austro-hungarian empires armorment industries and have been making top notch weapons ever since

zzephaniah

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    NWI
    Over spring break, I am trying to trade my Romanian Tokarev for something in 9x18mm over spring break. (NWI people I wouldnt mind a FTF deal plus cash). Essentially, what I want out of the gun is something that I can stash in my car when I drive through gary to go to IU northwest and keep in my apartment as a home defense gun next year in bloomington. I know there's larger more capable options and smaller pistols, but given my price range, the need for concealability, concerns about overpenatration, the risk that it could get confiscated or stole, cost of ammo, shootabilty, and accuracy of the fixed barrel blowback operating system.(within 15yards)

So, anyone know any decent 9x18mm defensive ammo, nightstand safes, ways to keep it in the car, and opinions on the hungarian and polish models? I personally have shot an east german makarov and liked and I think I would like a cz-82, but does anyone have any first-hand experience with them?

not sure about the model but a makarov is a good gun for your purposes.

Top Bottom