• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    So last night I picked up a brand new Nickle Boron Gen4 19 from the awesome folks at ZX in Fort Wayne. Unfortunately, the gun has had some performance issues.

The first thing I did was give it a decent cleaning and apply a very light amount of oil. I put it all back the way its supposed to go and the very first round got stuck mid-feed. I've put about 200 115gr Federal through it this morning and the same issue occurred about 8 times on a manual rack, using the release, and during firing.

Any suggestions outside of sending it in? Happens with all 3 mags, and I even tried some WPA for kicks.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Here:

[video=youtube;7b-KGzXbpE0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b-KGzXbpE0[/video]

Looks like they get better after some break in.

Last edited:

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah I saw that. After I got it of course. ;)

That's precisely what it's doing, just curious if any of the wise folks around here had any thoughts.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Well here's a photo of it happening to me, this was during firing, about 4 or 5 into the magazine. This is a live round feeding in from the mag, I didn't run into any extraction/ejection issues:

glockfail.jpg

I stopped by ZX and Bryan DeYoung and Bob Aldridge were both there and they're going to do some field testing to see if they can replicate the issues I was having. I'm more than willing to admit the possibility of shooter error, but given that it happened just hitting the release on a new full magazine and with multiple ammo types, I'm leaning toward the gun. If there are two people in town who could get to the bottom of things though, it's those two. :)

I'll post an update once they've had a chance to run some rounds through it. I'm hoping it is just me somehow, that way I don't have to part with a firearm I'm hoping to get familiar with for a trip back to Georgia! Once we get to the bottom of the issues, I'm planning to make it my new carry piece. I've already ordered the new spare body for my Comp-Tac in prep for some April classes, hopefully it's resolved in time.

Last edited:

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    I bought a gen3 G19 Nibx about two weeks ago from ZX as well. I had the same exact issue with my light reloads, however, it cycled fine with Hornady TAP's. I am able to chamber a round just fine using the slide release. Who did the coating on your gun?

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    WMD Guns according to the postcard in the box. These were all new factory loaded rounds from a few different manufacturers (Federal, Hornady, WPA). Once I get mine back, we'll have to do that range day and swap. :)

On the plus side, the 15-22's I picked up a couple of weeks ago have run flawlessly so far and I ate up the center of a target at 50 with just the stock iron sites and less than careful aiming. The kids are going to have a lot of fun with those this summer. :D

Last edited:

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    Mine was done by WMD Guns as well. I've heard they will get it running well and have great CS.

Deal on the range trip!

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I had exactly the same issue with my gen 4 19 NIBX purchased about a month ago. I smoothed up the face of the slide and polished the feed ramp and it's been good to go through about 100 rounds.. I'm not sure what is going on but I've NEVER had a new glock (or used for that matter) with this issue. someone at Glock is dropping the ball IMHO.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic

NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My G19 NibX was the same. I could not get through a string of 3 rounds without at least 1 of them failing to feed. In my opinion, the NibX finish causes an increased amount of drag before it's broken in and in a Gen 3 G19, if you are using target ammo, there's just not enough energy to cycle the gun. The Gen 3 G19 uses the same recoil assy as the G23 and while I think that works fine for a stock G19, it is too much spring for a fresh NibX 19. I installed an aftermarket guide rod and lighter recoil spring and the problem went away. Then after about 150 rounds, I swapped the stock recoil assy back in and it no longer failed to function with it.

My recommendation is to run about 200 rounds of a more stout reload or maybe SD ammo through it. Once you are past the break in, the gun runs just like any other G19. BTW, my G23 with NibX has never had an issue with any ammo. I think that points to the G19 being slightly over sprung and a NibX gun with light loads is just too much for it until broken in.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I just don't like using anything that would need a "break in" period as a carry gun, those need to go bang every time or they're only suitable as a range toy/hammer. If Bob and Bryan have the same issues, it's going back to WMD or Glock and extensively tested on return. Very frustrating. :(

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    WHAT?! I've not seen these reports before this one. I hate to hear about anyone having issues with a new firearm, but I never thought Glock would have this issue.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A Glock that requires "break-in" is not a good thing. Working (nearly) 100% from the box is their main strength!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    My G19 NibX was the same. I could not get through a string of 3 rounds without at least 1 of them failing to feed. In my opinion, the NibX finish causes an increased amount of drag before it's broken in and in a Gen 3 G19, if you are using target ammo, there's just not enough energy to cycle the gun. The Gen 3 G19 uses the same recoil assy as the G23 and while I think that works fine for a stock G19, it is too much spring for a fresh NibX 19. I installed an aftermarket guide rod and lighter recoil spring and the problem went away. Then after about 150 rounds, I swapped the stock recoil assy back in and it no longer failed to function with it.

My recommendation is to run about 200 rounds of a more stout reload or maybe SD ammo through it. Once you are past the break in, the gun runs just like any other G19. BTW, my G23 with NibX has never had an issue with any ammo. I think that points to the G19 being slightly over sprung and a NibX gun with light loads is just too much for it until broken in.

This would be my operating theory, as well.

I think it may also be the coating thickness, albeit to a lesser degree. Some of those clearances are *tight* and shrinking them even a thou or so might prevent the gun from shrugging off a marginal slide velocity.

Still, the RSA/Slide momentum is certain to be a much larger factor.

Is there a similar reputation for FailZero? I thought MAC had FZ on his G19? Is there a big different from one nickel-boron coating to another? Anecdotally, it seems so.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I had exactly the same issue with my gen 4 19 NIBX purchased about a month ago. I smoothed up the face of the slide and polished the feed ramp and it's been good to go through about 100 rounds.. I'm not sure what is going on but I've NEVER had a new glock (or used for that matter) with this issue. someone at Glock is dropping the ball IMHO.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic

NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

Is this a factory coating? If not, how exactly is GLOCK dropping the ball, vice aftermarket coating vendor?

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Is this a factory coating? If not, how exactly is GLOCK dropping the ball, vice aftermarket coating vendor?

This is what I was trying to get my head around earlier. I honestly had no idea I was buying anything that wasn't 100% stock from the Glock factory. To be fair, I did about zero research, I was hoping to find an all black but decided to get what I thought was just a two-tone since it was sitting there. I definitely wish I had done a bit more homework, but I'm not really crying over it. If it ends up just being a range gun I'm fine with that, I'll get a non-modified and move along. However if I were someone on a more limited budget making their first gun purchase, I'd be pretty annoyed at the moment.

Since it was so extensively modified, do I even have a Glock warranty?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom