• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I was just wondering how much difference there is between these 2 pistols. Looking at the S&W website, it doesn't appear there is much difference in size/weight between the two. I used to carry my M&P 9C but changed to my compact Kimber due to the weight and width of the double stack mag in the M&P. I would like to go back to the M&P as my EDC to save the unavoidable wear on the Kimber but not looking forward to going back to the weight/size issue again. Is there enough difference between the 9C and the Shield to warrant getting one to satisfy my issue? I know the Shield has the advantage of a single stack mag which would be nice but is that alone enough to justify the expense? Also, is pocket carry possible with the Shield? I miss my Ruger LCP's pocket carry ability with the Uncle George holster. Thanks for any advice.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I was just wondering how much difference there is between these 2 pistols. Looking at the S&W website, it doesn't appear there is much difference in size/weight between the two. I used to carry my M&P 9C but changed to my compact Kimber due to the weight and width of the double stack mag in the M&P. I would like to go back to the M&P as my EDC to save the unavoidable wear on the Kimber but not looking forward to going back to the weight/size issue again. Is there enough difference between the 9C and the Shield to warrant getting one to satisfy my issue? I know the Shield has the advantage of a single stack mag which would be nice but is that alone enough to justify the expense? Also, is pocket carry possible with the Shield? I miss my Ruger LCP's pocket carry ability with the Uncle George holster. Thanks for any advice.

Here's a similar thread from a few months ago. Worth a read.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/324674-m-p9c-vs-m-p-shield-9mm.html

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Thanks, that was worth reading. I think I will go to the LGS and see how the shield feels in hand since I'm a little worried about the smaller grip. The main reason I got rid of my old LCP was that its grip was just too small in hand and was very uncomfortable to shoot.

I used to have a P3AT, and the Shield shoots much more like a full sized gun.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If I was to go back to M&P, I think I'd rather go with the 9c over the Shield.

I held a Shield blue gun at Bradis, and I liked the feel of the 9c better.

I'd still love to shoot the shield though.

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    I like the 9c, but mostly because I like not having a manual safety on that sort of gun.

IMO, the Shield is not small enough for pocket carry unless you are talking cargo pockets. In a nice sheath, it would do just fine for cargos or large jacket pockets.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I have the Shield and the full size M&P9. The Shield can easily be hidden under even pretty tight t-shirts. I'm 6'2" 190 and can hide it even with an OWB kydex holster with pancake wings under pretty tight t-shirts. I can't do that with my full size, but the full size is actually easy to conceal under button down shirts. I'd say the question you need to answer is what capacity you want. There's definitely a width difference, but depending on your build and clothing concealment shouldn't be an issue either way.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I've carried the M&P9c, Shield, and Ruger LCP... I much prefer the 9c, but my current EDC is the Shield. I shoot the 9c better, it has a higher mag capacity, and it is all around easier to handle. I carry the Shield because I can conceal it under just about anything and for me that is important. I know what you mean about the LCP being uncomfortable to shoot, it moved a bit more in my hand than I would prefer for a firearm. And no, the Shield is not easily a pocket carry pistol. I still have my Ruger for those times where nothing else will work.

Visit your LGS and coonfinger a Shield and, if you can, get some range time in with it. I've hear a few folks who didn't care for the way the Shield handled in their hands and it was enough of a problem that they chose not to carry it. You will know whether it's what you are looking for when you get your hands on one.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I carry a Shield as my EDC, replacing the G19 I was carrying. I never could get to the point where the G19 was comfortable for me, even using a decent hybrid IWB holster. The Shield, being so thin, carries much better for me. As others have said, I believe the 9c is the same thickness as a full size M&P 9. That wouldn't work for me, but it might work for you. The Shield is a whole other animal. I can put it in an inexpensive DeSantis SOF Tuck holster and stick it at 4:00 and it's very comfortable. Because of the size, it is a bit different to fire than a full sized handgun, but it feels good to me. I've put around 200 - 300 rounds through mine and it handles and shoots well. Definitely more recoil than a full size 9mm, but it feels way better than shooting a smaller gun, like the LCP. I was surprised how accurate the gun was at the range. It certainly doesn't match up to my G34 or PPQ, but it's much more accurate for the size than I expected. Good luck with your decision.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    It really comes down to personal preference.

After successfully carrying a XD 45 Tactical and a 5" 1911 for some time, I find the 9c a breeze. I have large hands and the grip on the 9c with
    the large palm swell insert is the smallest I can go as far as a shootable grip is concerned.

I took measurements myself. The OAL heaight of my 9 c with magazine with flat base pad is 4.25".
    The widest point on the gun is the grip which is 1.72". At 22 oz, I find that very easy to conceal/carry.

What is your holster/belt combination? Maybe this is the issue.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    What is your holster/belt combination? Maybe this is the issue.

Right after I got my 9C I splurged and had an expensive fitted/lined holster made for it from High Noon holster co. A couple of years later, and countless hrs trying to fit it, I still can't use the d-mn holster due to the fact that it is so tight I have to use both hands to remove the pistol and re-holstering is near impossible without pushing the slide aft in the attempt. Upon a recommendation from a LEO friend, I got a Blackhawk Serpa which works fine but makes an already double stack pistol even wider plus I just don't like all that hard plastic rubbing against my gun all day long.

I carry my Kimber in a fitted Mitch Rosen holster and it fits and performs beautiful. I am tempted to go that route for my M&P but just afraid of dish out more $$$$ and run into the same problem.

Last edited:

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I got the Shield when it first came out and have been carrying it since. As others have said, where it really shines is when you are wearing summer attire, such as t-shirts, conceals very easy and is very light weight. If I am wearing something a little bigger (button up shirt, sweatshirt, etc) I'll carry my Glock 19 which is very similar in size to the M&P 9c.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just got a 9c as a mate to my existing full size M&P. I went with the 9c over the Shield (and XDs) primarily for the factor of compatibility with my FS. I didn't need to buy any new holsters, I can use my FS mags, and I don't need to alter my training.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I want to thank everyone for all the great info and advice. After seeing and handling the Shield, I have decided to stick with my Kimber CDP II. I don't know what I was thinking anyway! Must have been a brain fart! I am a very big fan of the M&P series but they just can't compete on the same level as my Kimber for size, comfort, concealability and performance. My 9C and my .45 Nightguard will retain their duty as home protectors and to keep my safe queens safe and the Kimber CDPII will remain on my side! Again, thanks for the replies.

Of course, If anyone ever has a Shield they just have to get rid of, look me up. ;)

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Since I changed my mind about my EDC, I decided to reward myself with a new pistol anyway. Back to the gunshop.

As I was filling out the paperwork for my new Baretta 92FS, the gent next to me was filling out the paperwork for his new M&P Shield as the clerk discussed his new purchase.. a M&P 9C. Ironic!? :)

Top Bottom