• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hunter88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    There are plenty of reviews on the ruger. Only complaints Ive read, are about the front sight breaking. But if I were going to buy the ruger Id put different sights on it eventually.

But the new RIA does look and feel good. Held one at the LGS, full size tho. Very nice for the hundred dollar less price tag on the Ruger.

My question is, has anyone shot the new "2011" model RIA? Or would the Ruger be the best of the two?

This will be my carry for the summer.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I can't bash the RIA, but I would go Ruger for warranty and fully made in USA. If you shop around, you might be able to find a good deal on one (our Rural King runs sales on them every couple of months).

EDIT: read this AND the next post below
    Also, if the 2011 RIA is a double stack (usually implied in calling it a 2011), I'd wait for some reviews. I know that the early double stack Para guns had some issues. They were cleared up, but making a 1911 into a double stack CAN change some of what makes it so great/reliable in the first place.
    I'm interested to hear others' thoughts on this as well.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Not personally familiar with RIA, but I have never had anything but good luck with all my rugers. Can't go wrong with them.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I have seen a lot of good press on the Ruger. Mine however needs to go back to the factory so they can make it reliable. I am lucky to get through more than a mag at a time without a feedway stoppage. I realize it is a 1911 but still.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have seen a lot of good press on the Ruger. Mine however needs to go back to the factory so they can make it reliable. I am lucky to get through more than a mag at a time without a feedway stoppage. I realize it is a 1911 but still.

Yeah that doesn't sound right. I remember an article talking about diagnosing 1911 malfunctions. Should be an easy fix.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    One advantage to the RIA is that it's a great platform to learn 1911 gunsmithing on. I've successfully done stuff to my RIA that I would never attempt with another 1911 until I've had a bit of experience on that mod. The latest was 30 lpi checkering the front strap. I'm happy enough with the results to think my Remington is next.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I've shot both and there is nothing wrong with an RIA 1911. Even their 9mm 1911 was a blast to shoot and very reliable. if you opt for Rock Island I'd bet you'd be well satisfied with it. The only problem with the RIA is that Ruger is offering something with a higher quality fit and finish for not much more, if any, money than the RIA. FWIW I have a Ruger SR1911 setting at home in the safe, I would not be afraid to have a RIA along side it, but I'd easily opt for the Ruger and not look back.

Top Bottom