• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    This is something I've been debating over for a long time. I had considered selling this gun as I have a Wilson Combat 1911 in the process of being built, it's been 2 years since I ordered it and they haven't started building it yet, so it looks like its going to be a while longer before I see it. So instead of selling this one now I've decided to have a little fun with it. Here's the necessary "before" shot, my Kimber Gold Combat Stainless II:

DSC03573_zps447a4a51.jpg

This is a really nice piece off the shelf, but the upgrade will consist mainly of the trigger / ignition group with a few additional pieces thrown in to upgrade the level of craftsmanship and detail to the next level.

AllenM will be working his magic, and I hope he will update this thread from time to time as the project progresses as he has done for some of his other projects. I just ordered the parts yesterday. As soon as I get them I'll be taking a trip down to Avon to see Allen. It may take a few weeks before the thread gets updated, Allen may have a few things to do besides work on my pistol :)

Here's the list of parts that Allen will be installing. A few of the parts are duplicates, I will leave the final selection up to Allen's judgement:

Wilson Combat Parts
    Bullet Proof® One-Piece Magwell, Full Size, Stainless
    Hammer Spring, Reduced Power, Full-Size, 19#
    Mainspring Cap Retainer Pin, Stainless
    Mainspring Housing Cap Pin, Stainless
    Mainspring Housing Pin, Stainless
    Beavertail Grip Safety, High Ride, Bullet Proof®, Stainless
    Ambidextrous Thumb Safety, Wide Levers, Bulletproof®, Stainless
    Magazine Release, Tactical, Bullet Proof®, Stainless
    Magazine Catch Spring
    Magazine Catch Lock, Stainless
    Slide Release, .45 ACP, Bullet Proof®, Stainless
    Ejector Pin, Stainless

Evolution Gun Works Parts
    EGW Hard Sear 1911
    EGW HD Ball Head Long Disconnector Blue
    Koenig Ultra Low Mass Hammer
    Sear Spring 1911 Colt
    Hammer Strut Titanium
    Main (Hammer) Spring ISMI 19 lb
    Titanium Main Spring Housing Cap
    EGW O/S Firing Pin Stop Ser 80 SS
    HD Extractor 45 ACP Ser 80 Blue
    High Quality 11-pc Pin Set SS

Stay tuned. Should be a fun thread.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm going to show my ignorance here but how do you decide which parts you want to upgrade, then go about selecting them?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I'm going to show my ignorance here but how do you decide which parts you want to upgrade, then go about selecting them?

In this project there are two categories of parts. Those that I need for the trigger / ignition group, and those that I'm installing because, although non-essential, they will add a higher level craftsmanship and quality, the gun will just look that much better, not to mention will be a much smoother functioning piece as far as the trigger group.

As far as knowing which parts to buy to achieve that end, there are a few really high quality manufacturers for 1911s. Wilson Combat is one of them. Several months back I upgraded another Kimber I had dropped and damaged, there is an old thread here about that project (https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...dropped-damaged-my-kimber-10.html#post4194046). AllenM did the work, took some real skill to fit some of the new parts. What prompted that project was that the plastic mainspring housing broke when I dropped it, and the surfaces on the hammer and sear were damaged so that it did not function properly. The finished product with the Wilson Combat parts not only looked nicer than a new Kimber, but the crispness of the trigger and hammer was something that was pleasantly new to me.

Since then I have learned a little more, including that many Kimber parts are MIM - metal injection molded. A cheaper process than the high tech machining the Wilson Combat parts use. Also, AllenM has a lot of experience in gunsmithing and recently posted about his preference for 1911 parts, one of the manufacturers he really likes is Evolution Gun Works, or EGW. I called him before ordering the parts and he gave me some advice on which parts he thought I should order from EGW.

Last edited:

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    It would be cool for you to make a video of you shooting some with a specific brand/type of ammo before the upgrades. Be real detailed about how it shoots, feels, etc. Then do a post upgrade video. Same ammo, conditions etc. Probably more than you care to do, but I think it would be very interesting.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    It would be cool for you to make a video of you shooting some with a specific brand/type of ammo before the upgrades. Be real detailed about how it shoots, feels, etc. Then do a post upgrade video. Same ammo, conditions etc. Probably more than you care to do, but I think it would be very interesting.

My problem is time. I'm trying to get the house ready to put on the market. Need to stain some exterior siding and the deck, but the weather has not been cooperating. Don't think I'll have time for making shooting vids, but maybe we can post some pics of the project, at least that is my hope.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Well Mark's pistol has made it to the top of my work load. I typically don't post pics while in process because it can take time to do some projects and I like to work my pace. Funny though links to this thread keep showing up in the PM's between Mark and I. Go Figure :)
    You wouldn't think all these parts would be in one gun, Actually they aren't when in doubt buy doubles Mark is thorough

Thought I would measure the trigger pull before hand. Right at 5 lbs. I like Kimber but this is what I don't get about Kimber.
    Their guns are well fit and shoot well and they charge a pretty good price for them. Then after fitting everything up and making real nice shooters they load them up with MIM parts.
    Trigger pull around 5 lbs that is not bad especially for a gun labeled Gold Combat.
    But trigger pull has a ton of creep and is very gritty. I own 2 other Kimbers myself and this one costs the most and feels the worst.

I had to pic somewhere to start so I picked the mag release. fit of the old one.

Texture on the new Wilson, Cant live with that

But first lap fit the mag release for smooth operation

Polished the ramp that the mag slides on

And polished outer surface for looks (bad pic to much glare)

Nice Wilson one piece mag well

Removing any machining burrs on inside of tunnel

Did a quick polish on the out side I know I will have to revisit this later

Next is to blend the magwell . I have a hard time just stacking an extended magwell on a frame that has been opened up.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Allen, Is the mag release you're holding the new one or original? The pic of the new one appears to be a more finely machinedpiece.

Its the new one. But i have polished it up now. You may be looking at the lapping compound

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Day 2
    Blended magwell. Started by removing bulk material with the mill. Then finished up by hand
    The magwell did wobble side to side a bit so I added tension to the guide rails to snug it up. I will come back and texture inside the tunnel before it is completely done.

Moving on to the trigger work
    Setting up to polish everything

Polished trigger track as well

Got these parts polished but now to my day job. Main thing left on the trigger is tune sear and hammer engagement and sear spring tension.
    Don't mind discoloration on the frame it is just from cleaning with brake cleaner as I go. a splash of gun oil and it looks like new again

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I'm having a hard time getting the trigger above 3 lbs....but I'll figure it out ;)

Top Bottom