• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tlam13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Bloomington
    Looking for a very accurate 357 for under $800... I prefer ss and any barrel length is an option. Looking for something for personal target shooting. What's the most accurate one you've shot?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I do not know that it is the MOST accurate, but I saw a poster for a bullseye leage at a gun shop after I sold my set of bullseye pistols. 20 minutes before the league was to start, I bought a new 6" GP100 stainless revolver. They let me take 5 shots for zeroing the sights before the scoring started. The new revolver shot pretty well. By the end of the league, I walked away with the 2nd place plaque. It clearly was as not refined as my old professionally tuned S&W combat masterpiece or my Guthridge build PPC revolver, but it was definately very capable.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Target like bull's eye or like combat or like steels?

I can routinely ring a steel torso at 100y with my Ruger Security Six and my handloads. I'd guess I could do it with factory ammo, too, but factory ammo is for chumps. ;) I'm 100% on torso with my GP100 Match Champion at 50y. I wouldn't say either is the MOST accurate, as I've not tried a whole bunch of revolvers in that price range Dan Wesson revolves usually get high marks in the accuracy department, but I've not owned one.

I would suggest that most any modern revolver in the $500-$800 range will outshoot the shooter. The major things to look for are a grip (or stocks) that fit your hand and sights that are appropriate for the type of shooting you want to do.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    I have 6 357 magnums, the one that shoots consistently the best is a 6.5in stainless Blackhawk, The longer barrell makes it easier to shoot well (longer sight radius).

My 5in 627 V-comp is just as good, but well over $800.

I would recomend getting the longest barrell you are comfortable with, the extra length doesn't make it more accurate, it makes it easier to shoot accuratly.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    Most accurate 357 I have shot is the S&W 686 6". It was an older one (about 20 years ago) but I sold it like a fool.

Tlam13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Bloomington
    Target like bull's eye or like combat or like steels?

I can routinely ring a steel torso at 100y with my Ruger Security Six and my handloads. I'd guess I could do it with factory ammo, too, but factory ammo is for chumps. ;) I'm 100% on torso with my GP100 Match Champion at 50y. I wouldn't say either is the MOST accurate, as I've not tried a whole bunch of revolvers in that price range Dan Wesson revolves usually get high marks in the accuracy department, but I've not owned one.

I would suggest that most any modern revolver in the $500-$800 range will outshoot the shooter. The major things to look for are a grip (or stocks) that fit your hand and sights that are appropriate for the type of shooting you want to do.

I like the looks of the GP100... Do you think that shoots better than a 686?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I like the looks of the GP100... Do you think that shoots better than a 686?

I don't know that there's any detectable difference. I just went all Ruger because I like having all of my guns operate the same way. I don't want to have two different types of cylinder releases, a Ruger mimics a semi-auto with the push in style. I also won't buy a handgun with a visible keyhole in the side, so I was stuck with older S&Ws if I went that route.

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    If you are into shooting double action in competitions S&W seem to be much more popular. Older S&Ws have been my choice. 28-2 is more accurate with heavy bullets. model 15 13 are better with light bullets. At least that is what it seems. Model 66 is great for IDPA. The most accurate is a model 13 with a heavy bull barrel.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I don't have the answer to your question but I can say this, I had an old man deputy sheriff snatch my .357 Ruger sp101 snubby from me and put 5 bullets through a hole you could cover with a quarter dollar at 50 feet. Rapid fire to boot. He had been watching me make a circle about the size of a dinner plate and he couldn't take it any more. He then continued prowling up and down the firing line hollering "It ain't the gun gentlemen, Practice, Practice, Practice!

The guy next to me and I were so incredulous at this guy's shooting skills that we busted out loud laughing at his ridiculous accuracy. He then hollered out "The shooting range is a serious place gentlemen, There will be no frivolity on the firing line!"

So..... I don't know what make or model is the most accurate, I just bet that the worst of them are more accurate than your hands are!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't have the answer to your question but I can say this, I had an old man deputy sheriff snatch my .357 Ruger sp101 snubby from me and put 5 bullets through a hole you could cover with a quarter dollar at 50 feet. Rapid fire to boot. He had been watching me make a circle about the size of a dinner plate and he couldn't take it any more. He then continued prowling up and down the firing line hollering "It ain't the gun gentlemen, Practice, Practice, Practice!

The guy next to me and I were so incredulous at this guy's shooting skills that we busted out loud laughing at his ridiculous accuracy. He then hollered out "The shooting range is a serious place gentlemen, There will be no frivolity on the firing line!"

So..... I don't know what make or model is the most accurate, I just bet that the worst of them are more accurate than your hands are!

This. Anyone seen the video of Miculek shooting a J-frame upside down and ringing a torso sized steel at 200y? Using his pinkie to pull the trigger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIwVK_FxGZk&feature=kp

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    In my experience, there is too much at play to name a "most accurate gun". Certainly there are traits that some guns will have that others don't that lend themselves to being accurate, but there is also the shooter's skill, what the load is being shot, temperature of the gun and the ambient surroundings, etc, etc.

With that in mind, when I select a revolver, I look for those things I mentioned that make the gun lend itself to being accurate. Tight lockup, forcing cone-cylinder gap, correctly cut forcing cone, correctly reamed cylinder throats (I'm looking at YOU, Ruger), and things such as that. Typically this means your going to be looking at S&W and Ruger, but there are certainly others that will do you well.

Ultimately, accuracy is more often than not in the shooter's hands.

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    I mean no offense. I would be more concerned with my own ability versus the firearm. Not many people are capable of out shooting the average pistol. Pick something up you can afford and plink away.

Top Bottom