• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Some days it is truly enjoyable to be ROing at ECPR, today was such a day. I have been lucky enough to shoot some fine 1911s over the years, even managed to own a few good ones....But there are always the guns that affecianados read about, drool over on louder than words, works of art built by smiths who have closed their waiting lists, guys like Ted Yost at Heirloom precision, true "unicorns".

Today I got to shoot a unicorn, Ted Yost Signature Grade! Better still I was able to exchange shooting experiences with its owner shooting it side by side with its noble but slightly lesser peers. The guns story is as amazing as its craftsmanship. It was built for a warrior and is owned now by the warriors son following in his dad's footsteps and serving our nation.

The Guns, starting with the two tone going clockwise:

Wilson Combat Classic with options, Full House hand built STI, Ted Yost (Heirloom Precision) Signature Grade built on an Early lightweight Colt Commander, My early Les Baer Commander, and the only rail gun, my Vickers/Oldham Fullhouse Government.

About as good a day shooting these comparatively as a 1911 guy can have! Dont ask which one is best, they ALL have personalities of their own and souls.

Sorry for the Bad Cell Phone Pic. Better picture of the Yost cammander from the web page is below, STUNNING work of Art that runs as good as it looks!

attachment.php

Yost taken by a pro when it left its makers hands!
    994557_696958160319587_74466178_n.jpg

Last edited:

HCRMPD1

Marksman
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Shelbyville
    When I see a 1911 it takes me back to my days as a rifleman in the Corps. Then I hear my daughter, who is currently in the Army, talk like a sailor about the M9. Maybe I'm just old fashioned. Maybe I'm out of date. It just seem odd that the 1911 was good enough for WW I, WW II, Korea, Viet Nam, etc....but now it is not good enough for military. Personally, in my opinion, the 1911 design is simple - strong - fun to shoot - easy to control - and shoots a round that makes its target feel like it just got hit by a 830 fp/s bowling ball.

Thanks for the post bringing back some fine memories and a chance to look at some nice works of art.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    It just seem odd that the 1911 was good enough for WW I, WW II, Korea, Viet Nam, etc....but now it is not good enough for military. Personally, in my opinion, the 1911 design is simple - strong - fun to shoot - easy to control - and shoots a round that makes its target feel like it just got hit by a 830 fp/s bowling ball.

HCR you're not old fashioned, you just think like a Marine! And Guess what your brothers still agree with you on the 1911!

Current MARSOC, Force Recon, FAST team issue Colt Rail gun. You don't have to agree with the choice but you have to respect it! Semper Fi!
    marine-corps-colt-1911-sheriff-jim-wilson-LO.jpg

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A good 1911 seems to form a bond with it's owner that is hard to explain but amazing to Experience!!

I have never picked up another platform of any kind that points out more naturally than a 1911. It just becomes an extension of my arm.

At times it is a bit depressing as I would like to broaden my interests in hand guns but nothing else does it for me.

I have tried so many different platforms and I know with effort I could shoot them well enough but why put out the effort.......:)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    What is this 1911 everybody speaks of? You must be crazy spending that much on a gun! My RIA is just as good and my Glock shoots better.

(I am sure no Purple is needed for the above statement. I would rather look at high end 1911s then adult magazines.)

Top Bottom