• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    I've been reading several posts here & there seems to be a lot of people who have many firearms. I'm having a hard time understanding this. You can only fire one ( well two ) at a time. Why buy a firearm only to have it sit in a safe. That to me seems as bad as some of the classic car buffs I run into that have a bunch of cars that sit in a garage for no one to see. Obviously an old gun may be important for heritage or value. One wouldn't drive around an Auburn classic or carry a first model handgun. I don't think these people all have (Auburn's) in their safes. I have a .22 rifle my parents gave me for Xmas, a 870 shotgun that I have hunted with & now a carry firearm for personal protection. Why so many?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This should not be so confusing to you. Being deeply involved in a hobby/passion as many on this board are it is just what we do.
    Of course you can not shoot all of them but being able to run so many different guns when you wish is just too neat.
    Do I "Need" so many 1911's....no. Do I want them...."Hell" yes I do and a few more if some very cool ones cross my path.

Do I "need" more than 1 AR...well, maybe. Do I have more than 1....hell yeah and always looking at new ones.

Same with shotguns.

Many of us trade/buy/sell as a pastime. I may trade off a few guns tomorrow if the right deal comes my way.

I did the same thing with bikes and cars. Thing is, I build them. To just buy and let them sit is not who I am. I modify everything I own. It is part of personalizing.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    Similar to the idea of classic cars that you mentioned, several of us have a collection of firearms for a few reasons. Firearms are a very fun recreation. I enjoy being able to peruse my arsenal, pick a few choice guns, and go shoot them. Each gun is its own creature and I find enjoyment in learning the operation of several different platforms. Besides increasing my overall firearm aptitude, it's great training for me in the field (LEO). Some folks collect guns for their excellent value retention. They aren't made of a precious metal, but guns have historically been a very good investment that give the owner both a little financial security as well as enjoyment for years. Others are die hard collectors who collect safe queens - they might want to maximize the resale value (and maybe aren't daily shooters themselves), or they may just find the inherent beauty in a finely crafted hand held explosion detonator. I am definitely a practical shooter - no safe queens here...but I totally get why folks (who are financially able) sink plenty of cash into an extensive firearm collection. Guns, when properly cared for, will outlast you and I and be something we can pass down to our children later in life. Firearms have given my children and I a unique way to bond over the years as well...owning them has allowed me to train them in a very practical survival skill, while also teaching them the supreme repsect and responsibility that comes along with proper gun ownership. I'm sure there are a lot more reasons than this, but I hope I have shed some light on your question. Now, get out and shoot!

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    When I do woodworking, I have several tools that perform different jobs. I may have several flathead or Phillips head screwdrivers of different sizes. Picking the one tool for the job is why I have several screwdrivers. I see it the same way with firearms.
    Besides the fun factor, just one firearm will not do everything for me.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Different guns fill different roles... hunting, target shooting, defense, long range, up close, etc.

Being able to use different guns in different scenarios is fun and adds to your level and scope of experience.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Classic cars are too expensive for me to collect. Baseball cards get bent, and you just sit and look at them. Wives, girlfriends..... well, one is hard enough to take care of. Firearms !!!! Hunt, shoot, collect, trade..... defend, carry for my job..... list goes on

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Different guns fill different roles... hunting, target shooting, defense, long range, up close, etc.

Being able to use different guns in different scenarios is fun and adds to your level and scope of experience.

This. I have an AR for longer distance shooting, an AR for up close CQB. A pistol for OC, and going to get another pistol for deep concealment. A shotgun for skeet, and shotgun for hunting. A rifle for long distance range toy, a rifle for hunting. It all depends on what your necessities are. Different guns fill different spots.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I love guns so I buy them when I come across something I want if it is a good deal. Another aspect for me is I am not very good at sitting on cash in the bank. I am a impulse buyer. I have a 401k and retirement account set up but I see guns as a good investment that is not difficult to make liquid. For example, I was hospitalized and put out of work back in Feb., while getting things straightened out I sold several guns to keep my household afloat. I didn't lose money on any of them, made a slight profit on all actually. Once I get back on my feet and going well again I will slowly replace them. Much easier and cheaper than getting loan and while I had them I did shoot all of them and really enjoyed it.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have quite a few tool chests in my garage, drawers full of screw drivers, wrenches, sockets, pliers, I have more than one of most tools. I like to be able to have the right tools close to me when I'm working on something. Guns are no different. I do try to keep my gun purchases to only guns that I may need, and I can pretty much think of a reason I "need" a certain type gun whenever I find something I like.:):

Dudelittle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Attica
    Its a hobby or a collection!!! Also if we didnt want more than necessary their would be far fewer firearms to choose from because of s&d being limited.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Well I've never really been one to change dance partners. I live in the same house I bought 27 yrs ago. Married 37 yrs (first time.. Made a good choice there! ) One classic car. I have changed vehicles , mostly cause they were worn out & non-repairable . Maybe if I could have more I would . I just don't think I would .I respect others right to have more firearms. I tend to use what I have till I can't any longer

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Some are competition guns, and back ups for that purpose, and others are carry guns, and back ups for that purpose.

Some are just for fun, and back ups for that purpose.

Most importantly, cause I can and AMERICA!

Top Bottom