Should I locktite my two piece guide rod?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D.R.SCOTT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I have a two piece guide rod for my 1911, and really I think it is more of a hassle and a reliability issue for me than ease of cleaning. I just use my thumb to take apart the pistol, no tools or anything so I dont see how it can help cleaning.

The issue is when I take it apart and clean it, sometimes the rod unscrews itself a little bit. I dont like that possibility, and figures it creates a weak point and I would rather get rid of that possibility by loctiting it shut permanently.

What I ask of your expertise INgoers, is if their is any other benefit to a two piece guide rod?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If I have a problem child 2 piece guide rod I use a drop of clear nail polish on the threads. Just enough to fill the 1st half of them.
    The 2 piece rod is a bit longer than the 1 piece solid rod. Some say (Springfield custom shop) that they have a stabilizing effect on the gun. Keeps the spring in check.
    I have had 2 that have loosened up after a few hundred rounds and the nail polish stopped it. You will have to clean the threads when re-assembling.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    :twocents:

If you are worried about it, swap it out for a GI plug and rod?

The idea of it is to keep the spring from binding/kinking, but I never really thought of it as necessary.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The only advantage, but slight at that, is it adds a little weight to the gun. I've always thought that it was a solution to a problem that didn't exist. I just bought a Springfield Armory Trophy Match. I'll probably swap out the plug and two piece spring guide for standard stainless steel ones, sometime soon.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I have an old 2/3rd length rod and plug from either a S&W 1911 or a Dan wesson 1911. I forget which it came out of.

It's shorter then a full length, but can be taken down like normal. One piece, Stainless.

You want it D.R?, pm me your address.

Also found 4 bricks of federal .22lr, 200 rounds of .45 hydra shok 230 gr, a Smith and alexander magwell/mainspring housing, and various other misc. crap... Keeping the ammo, sorry ;)

Maybe I should clean up there more often :):

Last edited:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Just a couple of drops of blue Loctite should hold it. Make sure to degrease it first with alcohol or lacquer thinner. Or your best shot is to simply replace it with G.I. type guide rod. FLGRs serve no real useful purpose.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I would agree on the blue loctite. The red is a lot stronger. Contrary to some, the FLGR may prevent an unintentional movement out of battery of the slide should the slide make some contact with a solid object such as a barricade. I have used FLGRs with no problems. However, that is a personal choice of the individual owner.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would agree on the blue loctite. The red is a lot stronger. Contrary to some, the FLGR may prevent an unintentional movement out of battery of the slide should the slide make some contact with a solid object such as a barricade. I have used FLGRs with no problems. However, that is a personal choice of the individual owner.

They make a lighter powered loc-tite than blue.
    Personally I would not use any locking agent stronger than nail polish on the guide rod.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    You ever wonder if maybe Browning had a good sound reason to use a short one piece guide rod? I think he would be sick to see what we have done to his design. (or would die laughing)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You ever wonder if maybe Browning had a good sound reason to use a short one piece guide rod? I think he would be sick to see what we have done to his design. (or would die laughing)

I believe JMB would smile and appreciate that his design is still running strong after 100 years.
    By this thinking I guess all the design changes I made on my bikes/cars over the course of my life were a waist. Some made the cut while others just added a factor of cool.
    My Springer RO's all came with standard short rods and spring plugs. They ran OK.
    I put full length rods and plugs in them and maybe it is my imagination but they "Seemed" more stable. JMHO
    Regardless, I put FLGR's in all my 1911's by choice.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I just switched to a standard spring guide and plug on my newly acquired Springfield Armory Trophy Match. No worries now.

Top Bottom