What ONE quality I have found I like most in a Handgun- An Epiphany!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    After having owned probably 80 different handguns, and having shot many more, I have figured out what one quality seems to have become the MOST important feature of a handgun in determining whether I tend to like it or eventually decide to part with it.

That feature is the trigger- but not how you typically think! While a nice, crisp trigger is great and certainly is a plus, it is the trigger FACE that seems to be the deciding factor for me.

For instance, the GLOCK/ Ruger SR9/ XD/ PPQ/ etc. trigger safeties do not feel comfortable to me. The 1911 triggers, especially the ones with the serrated faces and the hole in the face for overtravel adjustment do not feel comfortable to me.

I like SMOOTH faced triggers. Some examples I like are the trigger faces of the Beretta 92/ Storm, the SIG series of pistols (the P320 with the striker is great), the 2nd and 3rd Gen Smith & Wesson Autos, and the Smith & Wesson Revolvers with the smooth faces.

I remember selling a 1911 simply because the hole in the face of the trigger irritated my finger. I have just found that if a pistol feels good to my finger, I can live with quite a few other faults. However, even if the pistol has great attributes, if the trigger does not feel comfortable to my trigger finger, it is pretty much a guarantee that it will be posted up for sale before too long.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    After having owned probably 80 different handguns, and having shot many more, I have figured out what one quality seems to have become the MOST important feature of a handgun in determining whether I tend to like it or eventually decide to part with it.

That feature is the trigger- but not how you typically think! While a nice, crisp trigger is great and certainly is a plus, it is the trigger FACE that seems to be the deciding factor for me.

For instance, the GLOCK/ Ruger SR9/ XD/ PPQ/ etc. trigger safeties do not feel comfortable to me. The 1911 triggers, especially the ones with the serrated faces and the hole in the face for overtravel adjustment do not feel comfortable to me.

I like SMOOTH faced triggers. Some examples I like are the trigger faces of the Beretta 92/ Storm, the SIG series of pistols (the P320 with the striker is great), the 2nd and 3rd Gen Smith & Wesson Autos, and the Smith & Wesson Revolvers with the smooth faces.

I remember selling a 1911 simply because the hole in the face of the trigger irritated my finger. I have just found that if a pistol feels good to my finger, I can live with quite a few other faults. However, even if the pistol has great attributes, if the trigger does not feel comfortable to my trigger finger, it is pretty much a guarantee that it will be posted up for sale before too long.

Epiphany - I had one of those once but the handle fell off ! !

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Makes sense- my father figured out the same thing on his revolvers. He just doesn't care for a serrated trigger. I, on the other hand, quite like them.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    LOL!

I agree it seems rather odd that such a "manly man" like me would be so concerned about something like how a trigger face irritates my little "triggy fingy."

Just an observation I made after shooting my dad's Beretta 92FS alongside a GLOCK. Realized how much I liked smooth triggers and I began to recognize a pattern from my past regarding guns I really liked vs. ones that didn't last long.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    And a GLOCK 17 has a smooth trigger, BUT it has the "Trigger Safety" that causes it to not be as comfortable as a truly smooth trigger.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I think it's cool that you have determined your "Deal Breaker" when it comes to pistols. Should make future purchases much easier or determine the kind of modifications you may need to be 100% satisfied.

:yesway:

Harley46982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    I agree the serated triggers do tend to rub skin off after a long range session. I have several revolvers that I had polished smooth for just this reason.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

You must have ninja like sensitivity in your fingers. I'm guessing your very popular with the lady-folk :)

For my part, I cannot say what it is about a firearm that makes it click with me. I've had guns that are nearly identical, yet one clicked and one did not. I don't know why though. Every once in a while, I buy a gun that immediately clicks and it just feels right. It carries well, it shoots well and I'm more accurate with it, but I cannot put my finger on the thing that makes it perfect. For instance, I had a Tanfoglio TZ-75-88 that is nearly identical to a pre-B CZ 75. Same size, weight, sights, trigger, grips and on and on. Yet, that TZ-75 never did click with me and I sold it cheap. The pre-B CZ did connect with me, and continues to do so years later. The TZ should have too, but never did.

I wish I could put my finger on what it is that lets me connect with a gun as it would save me money on guns that I would know up front that they would never make the grade no matter how much I liked them in the store.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I am with you on trigger sensitivity. It has to have the right feel. That is why I put 85 combat triggers in all of my CZs. Very small price to pay for consistency across all platforms.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    And a GLOCK 17 has a smooth trigger, BUT it has the "Trigger Safety" that causes it to not be as comfortable as a truly smooth trigger.
    When I do a Glock trigger I generally dress down the trigger safety until it's flush with the trigger. It still functions as it should but is flush with the face of the trigger when you fire the pistol.
    Normally the safety protrudes at least a 16th of an inch and what you actually press on is just over a 16th wide and so that can get uncomfortable.. Not a big deal if you only shoot a mag or two but if you are quite a bit in a short period it actually gets pretty annoying.
    AND I completely agree, just the feel of the trigger can change how you "feel" about the pistol.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

electric57

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    I have been a big fan of Sigs and I have carried the P239,228,229,and the 220. Love them all. Then I picked up a SP2022 after shooting my son's and I found that with the smaller grip on the sp2022 I like that better than the other Sigs handgrips. I also like a smooth faced trigger better than a serrated trigger. So the 2 deciding factors is a smooth faced trigger and a smaller handgrip or one that has adjustable grip panels for it.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    +1...

The smooth trigger face on my new Sig P320 is a revelation after owning several Glocks and an M&P. I couldn't stand to go back any monkey-motion on my trigger, it just feels wrong.

Para19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Youve gone thru 80 handguns and couldn't find one that worked for you? Your expectations may be a little high.

Top Bottom