• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • proshot04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    indianapolis
    So i am looking at getting either a Beretta 92A1 or a Springfield XDM Compact in a .40 also looking at Smith & Wesson M&P shield. Primary use is range/ sport, and use as a ccw. but i don't necessary need one gun to rule them all. don't get me wrong i problem get both err all of them:). but unfortunately i can only have one right now. tho whole use as a ccw might be tough as a concealable weapon but i am a big guy 6'2 and fall/winter is around the corner. love to have some thoughts and opinions.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Just my ¢2, if you're looking to use it as a carry piece, ditch the beretta. I carried one daily and they are way too heavy to be practical for EDC. In my opinion above all else the gun needs to be easily carried, especially if this is your only piece for a while. Cover the base for carry then later down the line worry about range range/sport.

So in my opinion, if this were me, I'd lean more toward the Shield, just because it lends itself to carry a little bit better than the XDM. It's really only a little bit better, what you gain in size/weight you lose in capacity. It's a trade off, but one that you may be willing to make.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I would also vote for the Shield, as it's what I carry. Great gun, very comfortable to carry and if you're worried about capacity, carry an extra magazine. Even though it's a relatively small carry gun, it's comfortable and fun to shoot, so it can be a great carry gun and a great range gun as well.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am not a proponent of slide mounted safeties.

The Shields seem like decent shooters.

personally I would go with an M&P, XDm, Glock, Ruger SR9, PPQ in the size that seems most appropriate to you. All of these guns can easily be carried in all the configurations.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    I own two 9mm Shields for range and CCW also have a 3.8 XDM 9/45acp also for range and CCW. Had a 3.8 XDM 40, but dropped the 40 from my firearms. You might look at SA XDs 45acp/9mm.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Check out the M&P 40c. For not much gain in size/weight you gain a lot in capacity. I carry one daily. Yes I OC but when the need arises to CC it does so just fine. Then pick up a conversion barrel and you can have a 9mm as well for around $120.

proshot04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    indianapolis
    i have looked at Hk USP Compact, and the Sig M11 A1 a bit pricy, and the Sig Sauer P320 Carry. though i have never shot any of the aforementioned hand guns.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I'll also vote for the Shield, great lil gun.
    It's my ccw and it shoots like a bigger gun.
    You can carry with the 7 or 8 round magazine, which really gives you 7+1 or 8+1 of you want.
    -- note: with my shield I own 2x 8 rd mags, and 2x 7 rd mags, and the 7 rd mags are tight and are difficult to insert while the slide is forward, making 7+1 tough. However, the 8 rd mags go in easily, so 8+1 is no problem

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    For CCW, I've learned that width and weight are whan can make or break it for me -- making me more or less likely to carry
    (plus I don't carry on my college campus, but that's another topic)

Anyways, i've found that keeping it right around an inch in width is the sweet spot.
    Shield, XDs, G42, nano, pico, etc. are all in that ball park.

Also, I'd always take a 9mm over a .380 in a similar sized gun. **FOR ME** I don't like shooting a .40 or .45 in a sub compact gun. It's not that I can't shoot it, but I feel more comfortable and I shoot better with 9mm in small guns.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    For CCW, I've learned that width and weight are whan can make or break it for me -- making me more or less likely to carry.

Agreed. The biggest reason I recommend the Shield is due to how thin it is, not the overall size. I tried to cc a G19 and just never got completely comfortable. When I switched to the Shield it was a very big difference. Suddenly I could cc anytime very comfortably. Add on top of that how great the gun is to shoot and that's why I say it's a winner :)

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Between the two choices you listed, I have an XDm Compact in .40, and really love it. It's a tad thick, but it's a wonderful shooter, and IMO, a really good choice. Mine hasn't had a single issue, though my only minor regret is not getting it in bi-tone.

My EDC is an SR9C. I completely enjoy shooting and carrying this gun, and wouldn't hesitate to consider an SR40C. It's fairly slim for a double stack, and a little easier on the wallet too. If I had picked up the SR9C sooner, I'd likely have it in .40 as well instead of the XDm.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I own an XDm 5.25" competition 40, XDm 4.5" 40, XDs 9 3.3", XDs 45 3.3". I own a SR 9c & an SR 40c. I like them all. I had one minor issue with the SR9c, called Ruger, got a shipping label from them , sent it in, was back at my door 6 days later...no charge. The Rugers have a better trigger than the XD 's in my opinion. I do not carry either Ruger ( not yet anyway ) as I do not like the safeties ( I am not opposed to 1911 safety just the minuscule one on the Rugers ) and am hesitant to carry with it off ( assuming/trusting it not being accidentally engaged thru course of day ). Also have been hesitant to re move them. The Rugers also in my opinion are very soft shooting. The Ruger sights leave something to be desired but easily rectified. Rugers also easier on wallet to purchase. All that being said, tha Springers & Rugers are all great choices... IMHO !

xdmdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    southport
    My vote would be the shield for carry because the first rule of a gun fight is bring a gun! Chances are u will have that shield because it's comfortable to carry. However the xdm would be an excellent choice and is definitely a viable option for carry as well.

Top Bottom