• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    I just picked up a glock 42 and was curious what you guys use for self defense rounds? seeing as critical defense rounds don't cycle through them well at all.

Also so what holster are you guys using? Looking for a good IWB holster.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think any good 90 gr FMJ bullet will do you fine. Some .380 ACP Pistols can be picky on what they'll eat. The more round nose shaped a hollow point bullet is the more likely it'll work great in you Pistol. I like the 90 gr HP/XTP loaded and sold by Precision One. They feed nicely in my Kahr P380. The Remington Golden Saber does well as does the Hornady Critical Defense.

I carry FMJ for better penetration of this smaller bullet. My HP of choice is the Precision One round.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I shot one for the first time today, using 95 grain ball, it stove piped the last round in the mag every time. We also ran some HST through it, and it performed admirably, ringing steel at 25 yards every time you pulled the bang switch. No idea why the ball ammo stove pipes on the last round though?

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I run Remington Ultimate Defense 102 gr. ammo. I've got regular green box JHP, I think 90 or 95gr, as a back up stash. I've also got lots of Blazer Brass FMJ and WWB FMJ for practice. I've also run Remington FMJ, Golden Saber, and Cor Bon. It runs well with all of it.

My G42 eats everything except Speer lead free ammo. I had at least 1 FTE with each mag with that stuff. I heard they do the same thing with Barnes ammo.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    While I love golden sabers, ballistic tests on the 380 version shows they are unreliable and no better than fmj.

According to my notes, the best are: (correct me if I am wrong)

-Anything with a Hornady xtp bullet (I think ProFire loads theirs with these)
    -Precision One is best
    -HPR
    -Hornady Custom
    -Fiocchi Extremist
    -Cor-Bon

Wife runs the Cor Bon in her lcp because that's the easiest to find.

Someone is bound to to come along with the YouTube link to the ammo tests my notes are based on

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    While I love golden sabers, ballistic tests on the 380 version shows they are unreliable and no better than fmj.

According to my notes, the best are:(correct me if I am wrong)

-Anything with a Hornady xtp bullet (I think ProFire loads theirs with these)
    -Precision One is best
    -HPR
    -Hornady Custom
    -Fiocchi Extremist
    -Cor-Bon

Wife runs the Cor Bon in her lcp because that's the easiest to find.

Someone is bound to to come along with the YouTube link to the ammo tests my notes are based on

Unreliable? In what way? I've shot hundreds of rounds of it through several different guns and have never seen an FTF or FTE. They are accurate, too. Maybe they mean in terms of expanding. If no better than an FMJ, that also means no worse.

I'd love to see a link to the test. Every test I've seen said they penetrated and expanded nicely.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Unreliable? In what way? I've shot hundreds of rounds of it through several different guns and have never seen an FTF or FTE. They are accurate, too. Maybe they mean in terms of expanding. If no better than an FMJ, that also means no worse.

I'd love to see a link to the test. Every test I've seen said they penetrated and expanded nicely.

yes, as in only sometimes the GSes expanded, not FTF/FTE. the link posted In the thread I think is the one that shows that failure.

As as someone who swears by them, I was surprised too. I think he speculates that the design isn't suited for the slower speeds and lower energy, and it is right at the edge of being able to expand.

Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    Any of the first batch of 42 are the ones having the problems. If your 42 has been upgraded or is a newer model it will be flawless like any other glock firearm is. Mine is a first batch but I will find out tomorrow if it will proform to my standards and for a EDC. If not it's going back to glock. I posted the firearm for sale to buy a newer one but I'd rather not sell a unreliable firearm to someone so I'm deleting my for sale thread. I also picked up a 100 rounds of white box, 100 rounds of mag tech and going to look around for some more tomorrow morning before the range. Wish me luck lol

Indyelmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    About 750-800 through mine Lawman , Remington , Winchester WB , Blazer and some 15 year old hollow points I had 1.5 FTE in first mag since flawless ...

Top Bottom