• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spot Me 2

Expert
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Hey gents, I need a little help. A Coworker has a Colt Python 6 in barrel blue manufactered in 1976. It is as close to new as I have seen. I was wondering what a fair price would be to offer him for it. He bought it new and has not shot it in years. He wants a new revolver and has no need for 2 guns. (crazy I know) I don't want to cheat him, but don't want to overpay either. I have no idea where the market is on these. I am basically a rifle/shotgun guy. This will become a heirloom if I pic it up. Thanks in advance!

SEMI-AK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    1700 without the box with a hundred or two depending on box and if no turn line on cylinder

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Sounds about correct as table prices at the gun shows.
    I would of course offer him less 1200. If he purchased it new in 1976 then he will make a hearty profit on it.

my main question is if he owns a python why would he want of need any other handgun/revolver. If you only want one why not the one most consider the very best.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Not much, Pythons are selling dear right now. A nice nickle plated one went for over 2K at the auction last weekend in Evansville. Even the less stellar Colt revolvers like the Anaconda and King Cobra were well north of 1K.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Your coworker should do his homework. He should set the price. If he wants a $1200, give him $1200. If he want's only $1000, give him a $1000. If he wants $1500, give him $1500. Get my drift. They are not making Pythons any more. See what the good ol' LGS is willing to offer and go for there as an example. If you don't want to cheat him then offer no less than 4 digits. Good luck.

SEMI-AK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Well the turn line can be a big deal. All colt collectors of snake guns want a gun as perfect as possible. The turn line can knock 30% of value off a gun. It is a whole process to value a snake gun. I have a family member who is a colt nut and has over 30 pythons. If you could post some pics that would help.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    if its a buddy you want him to get them most out of it, you might not being willing to give what its really worth. you could put it in the classifields here and probably get 2000. just me, i would offer 1000 and say thats all its worth to me. these guns really are over priced. i like all the snake guns, but they shoot no better then my smith n wessons, and the pythons shoot no better then the anacondas. but there is a big following on these guns lately.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Not much, Pythons are selling dear right now. A nice nickle plated one went for over 2K at the auction last weekend in Evansville. Even the less stellar Colt revolvers like the Anaconda and King Cobra were well north of 1K.

I know. The first gun I bought with my own money was a new stainless 6" King Cobra. I never liked that gun and sold it many many years ago. Only wish I still had it to be able to sell it for the $$ it would get today. That thing must have been built on a Monday morning, because it just never seemed like a quality gun to me.

Oh well, hindsight is 20/20

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    "Lusting" after a 'just gotta have it!' item is a sure way to be suckered. EVERY time.

That's WHY people selling 'vintage' and 'collectible' items gouge the hell out of buyers, EVERY time, because the buyer just 'has' to have it.

What's the gun worth to you? Offer him that. If HE thinks it's fair, he'll accept. If not, he'll either decline, or counter. THAT'S how it really works. Do NOT pay more than it's worth to YOU.

Do yourself a favor and be another sucker.

Recently saw a restored (not original) '68 Camaro, nothing special (other than 'mint' condition, of course) about it, sell at auction for $450,000, and NOT to raise $$$ for charity (which typically yields 'over-the-top' pricing). You read that right.

THAT doofus buyer is a perfect example of a guy 'with more money than sense'. But hey, it's HIS money. UNLESS the Liar-In-Chief has his way, of course! :laugh:

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Hard to say from the pictures. Colt said the Python is too expensive to produce, so they stopped making it. It was considered as one of the best .357 revolver of the time. Like a Roll Royce or Mercedes Benz of revolver.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Looks average for the turn line I don't think you would see a big down in price but those grips are not what I would expect to see. Normal wood target grips I would expect. Does it have the original grips. Those look like colt grips but I would expect wood.

Should look more like this: then again I am not colt snake gun expert I just play one on the internet.

To me if I could not prove those were not original grips at least 200/350 maybe more off the price. Most likely more as it becomes a shooter not a collector piece as I doubt you are going to find new old stock grips often. Sounds weird that a piece of wood with a colt metal piece in it would cause a price drop of that much. That would be the difference once you eliminated the collectors.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Those are not the original grips, even for a late production.. He didn't buy it new with those god awful things on it....also as stated these are Wayyyyy overpriced for what they are...1k tops....and only if you really like him. 6" blue is the most common variety as well...do yourself a favor. Go buy a S&W 27 and never look back...:twocents:

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Without seeing it in person, the way you described it $1500-2000

That said, the price is pretty much in name only you can get a S&W with a trigger job and be in it for half the price with just as good as a firearm. 2 things drove up the price of pythons that i know of Discontinuing (OD Glocks anyone) and The walking dead. I have all kinds of people that know nothing about guns asking me to acquire "Rick Grimes" gun. Its the Dirty Harry of today.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    It's funny that lead eye mentioned a nickle python going for over 2K at auction a couple of weeks ago. I was visiting an auction in central MI last Saturday and a 4" nickle python, 90%, no box and darkening went for $2,250. Seemed a little high to me but I guess I'm just behind the times.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The rubber grips on the one pictured are probably Pachmayr Presentation grips. They made them in 2 sizes.
    I hated them in either size.............but if a guy shoots the thing, or hunts...........such grips on it might mean the originals aren't beat up.
    There are different types of wood factory grips, the most common if like new are $200 and up.
    My Python wears Hogue rubber grips, but that's because I shoot /hunt it.

Not all M29's are "Dirty Harry" guns. Those were the old 6.5".
    Not all Pythons are "Walking Dead" guns.........that would be a 6" stainless................but which one?

Now from two pics I pulled from the web............the first episode shows Rick getting ready to blast the guys in the car on the road (pre zombie outbreak) with a single pin front sight Python. Later scene, where they found the 2 security guards zombied, in a containment area............he has the gun at one's head, through a fence and it's a dual pin front sight.

So which version of Python vintage is correct for Ricky's gun? (guess any 6" non bright stainless)

Mine below is just a 6" blued...........but it's also an E series. Such things do make a diff in pricing. The orig grips, box and papers are stashed for safe keeping :)

BTW, I fully intend to retire the old gal, when I get a 6" stainless to hunt with. I sure as heck won't be dropping 3K for one either.

Ni08tZ2.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom