Can a person really "have it all" with one pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    I often see a posting (here and other sites) of someone looking for their first pistol serving as home defense, carry, and range fun. Personally, I would want 2: a full size for the range and HD, then a sub compact for carry.

Can one gun do it all?

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    NO!

And you can tell the boss-lady I said so.

There, now THERE'S your 'justification' with the Missus to buy at least 2! :laugh:
    Oh, and don't forget to duck! :lmfao:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    For some people on a tight budget or a complete newbie, one gun is what they need. It's better to completely learn and train and become very proficient with one gun than trying to learn a Glock 26 and a 1911 at the same time. It's a better way to start IMHO.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yep, one can certainly do it. Not a sub-compact, though.

This pretty much sums it up. Honestly most of the medium sized, polymer framed, striker fired service pistols could be used for most any range activity, can be carried concealed and will do just fine for home defense.

Outside of the often recommended M&P or Glock 19, I could probably get by with owning only a high quality commander length 1911.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    IMHO, Yeah it can be done. Especially if you want to carry a full-size. I have a full-size as my bedside gun, but carry a sub-compact.:twocents:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Absolutely. For many years I had one semi-automatic handgun. A Springfield Loaded 1911, back when the Loaded was the top of the line, came with 8 round magazines, a bit of a mag funnel, adjustable night sights, etc. etc. It was my carry gun, my competition gun, and my range gun. It was not my home defense gun, as I used a carbine for that purpose while living in the country.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    one is good, two is better :)

For most gun owners -- not gun enthusiasts and avid shooters, but just your average owners -- I think one handgun is often sufficient.
    MOSt of my friends that own guns only take them out 2-3x a year and never carry it.

For a person that mostly wants to carry, and have it fill-in in the other roles, that's possible.
    As others have said, it's possible, but that's not as much fun.
    I generally recommend a .22 handgun and a medium-full size centerfire handgun as a "starting point"

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Absolutely. For many years I had one semi-automatic handgun. A Springfield Loaded 1911, back when the Loaded was the top of the line, came with 8 round magazines, a bit of a mag funnel, adjustable night sights, etc. etc. It was my carry gun, my competition gun, and my range gun. It was not my home defense gun, as I used a carbine for that purpose while living in the country.
    ^^^ This right here. ^^^
    Certainly not for everyone, but this IS the answer for those who actually shoot their guns.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Unless one actually wants two complete pistols (as in for the range or to carry a BUG) the Sig P320 allows multiple configurations once the Caliber X-Change Kits come out. Looking at the precedent set by the P250, it should cost $230-250 to add any caliber/frame/slide length combination to the initial purchase investment. For that, you'll get night sights, too.

Top Bottom