• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Meh, rehash of a rehash of a rehash. "I like Glock because its simple, reliable, and holds lots of bullets." Nothing wrong with that, but not exactly a novel way of looking at it.

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    Who cares , the real question is ,, can you hit any thing with your self defense weapon ? All the bullets in the world , in a gun don,t mean jack if you can,t take out the bad guy.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    In all seriousness, when I took an intermediate pistol class a few months back most of the folks were running 1911s or some other .45. With my Glock 19, I was the only one who wasn't reloading between every single drill.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    It's not the firearm. It's the person wielding that firearm.

That's the 'rule', and it's been the same rule since firearms were invented.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If someone goes through the trouble of carrying two Glock 19s, they might as well go the extra mile and carry an AR pistol or something....or an extra 5 magazines.

Sort of reminds me of the unnamed INGOer who claimed to be my size (6' 0", 160lb) and IWB carry a 6" 44 Mag in Jeans and a TShirt.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    If someone goes through the trouble of carrying two Glock 19s, they might as well go the extra mile and carry an AR pistol or something....or an extra 5 magazines.

Sort of reminds me of the unnamed INGOer who claimed to be my size (6' 0", 160lb) and IWB carry a 6" 44 Mag in Jeans and a TShirt.

I don't know the author of the article, he must have started after I left, but carrying two Glocks the way he describes is not difficult. Many people carry a back up and this is the same thing except easier to get to and more firepower. I don't usually carry a second gun but if I do (mostly when travelling) it is in the manner he describes.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Meh, rehash of a rehash of a rehash. "I like Glock because its simple, reliable, and holds lots of bullets." Nothing wrong with that, but not exactly a novel way of looking at it.

No, but when you are required to write articles it can be tough to come up with new stuff unless you have a bunch of war stories to tell.

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    Just what exactly is a "present day gunfighter"? Do people really walk around wielding an AR like a Katana and a pistol like a Wakizashi or a pair of pistols dual wielding like Miyamoto Musashi? Are we living in some bad Anime plot were every thug is a trained assassin and simply going on a grocery run could turn into an epic gun battle that could decide the fate of man kind?

NO.

Carry what you will how you will. But more importantly, KNOW HOW TO USE IT! And lose the tacticool "gunfighter" mindset. Be aware but don't be cocky.

People wonder how the gun culture gets the image of tacticool mall ninja wanna be's. Its stuff like this article and people thinking of themselves as "Gunfighters". It aint high noon at the OK Corral anymore fellas, bandits aren't stampeding cattle and rustling hosses and whores. Your getting milk and eggs at Wholefoods. You probably wont need two G19s and a slew of extra mags to fight off the hordes of modern hipsters with their tight pants and skateboards texting away on their Iphones while heading home in your SUV to your upper middle class neighborhood.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Just what exactly is a "present day gunfighter"? Do people really walk around wielding an AR like a Katana and a pistol like a Wakizashi or a pair of pistols dual wielding like Miyamoto Musashi? Are we living in some bad Anime plot were every thug is a trained assassin and simply going on a grocery run could turn into an epic gun battle that could decide the fate of man kind?

NO.

Carry what you will how you will. But more importantly, KNOW HOW TO USE IT! And lose the tacticool "gunfighter" mindset. Be aware but don't be cocky.

People wonder how the gun culture gets the image of tacticool mall ninja wanna be's. Its stuff like this article and people thinking of themselves as "Gunfighters". It aint high noon at the OK Corral anymore fellas, bandits aren't stampeding cattle and rustling hosses and whores. Your getting milk and eggs at Wholefoods. You probably wont need two G19s and a slew of extra mags to fight off the hordes of modern hipsters with their tight pants and skateboards texting away on their Iphones while heading home in your SUV to your upper middle class neighborhood.

It seems like I do remember that Tom Givens told me the majority of the attackers his 64 students faced in gun battles were hipsters in skinny jeans.

If you don't go anywhere there is real crime, good for you. That however doesn't mean that it is imaginary.

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    Or I can just carry 2 Glocks and be prepared.

Carry as you see fit. I personally don't see the point in carrying two full or midsized guns as an EDC. Now I can see a point in a full sized primary and a subcompact or super compact backup, though I wouldn't do it personally, it just makes more logical sense.

Although at Wholefoods you would probably be more than well enough equipped with a stout leather glove. I doubt to many of the hipsters would really fight back or if they did the glove would easily swat them down. Tight pants make a real fight all but impossible for them.

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    It seems like I do remember that Tom Givens told me the majority of the attackers his 64 students faced in gun battles were hipsters in skinny jeans.

If you don't go anywhere there is real crime, good for you. That however doesn't mean that it is imaginary.

Actually I'd be willing to bet the neighbor I live in is probably a bit rougher than yours. Is there a lot of violent crime? Well, no but theft is fairly high, and so are the thieves I would imagine. I have had my AC unit stolen, my girlfriends car was broken into, my grandma's catalytic converter was stolen, and my neighbors garage was broken into. That was just this last year that I am aware of. I don't know how the people doing this would react if caught in the act, so yeah I carry a bright flashlight a fixed blade knife and a pistol everyday and every opportunity I get to train or just spend some time on the range I take it. Just so I am as prepared as I can be at this time.

But I carry no illusions of myself as a "gunfighter". I am an armed citizen, that is all.

Last edited:

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    Just to be clear on what I think of as a "Present day Gunfighter"

Gunfighter: Someone who fights with a gun, not because they want to but because they have to for all that is good and free in this country.

Gunfighter:
    images

What the left wingers see when they read this article:

Gunfighter: Someone who has played WAY to many hours of First person shooter games and thinks an AK is a viable sniper rifle in real life because they "can make head shots at 800yds in Call Of Duty man!"

Gunfighter?
    images

^^^
    Probably a more accurate picture of someone who would actually call themselves a "gunfighter" too

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In all seriousness, when I took an intermediate pistol class a few months back most of the folks were running 1911s or some other .45. With my Glock 19, I was the only one who wasn't reloading between every single drill.

Question....were the 1911's hitting the target. Were they jamming/stopping.
    I ask because real world if you need more than 8 rds. there is a lot more trouble than most any of us will encounter.
    Last class I took I was the only 1911 on the line and had more hits in tighter groups than anyone.
    Not a Glock knock so please do not take it that way.
    My point is simple....hit what you are trying to stop. No matter what gun you are using just get it on target.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Question....were the 1911's hitting the target. Were they jamming/stopping.
    I ask because real world if you need more than 8 rds. there is a lot more trouble than most any of us will encounter.
    Last class I took I was the only 1911 on the line and had more hits in tighter groups than anyone.
    Not a Glock knock so please do not take it that way.
    My point is simple....hit what you are trying to stop. No matter what gun you are using just get it on target.

While I understand what you're saying, what about the shots you may miss? If you miss twice, you're down to 6 more shots. Is that still enough?

The Glock 26 I am carrying right now holds 10, but I'm still carrying a spare mag.

The number of rounds you have equals the amount of time you have in a gunfight.
    If I'm going to end up losing in a gunfight, it's not going to be because I didn't have enough ammo.

Top Bottom