• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tackshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 11, 2014
    Southside
    I'm still saving up but looking to purchase my first 1911 this coming winter, I've been shooting them since I was a kid and the ones I'm most familiar with are Kimbers. Now I love Kimbers but I've been doing some research and the Sig 1911's come with 2 mags and most already have night sights which is a big deal to me because that is the first thing I do to any carry pistol I buy is put a set on.

Now I know I want a 4 in barrel and I'm pretty sure I want a bobtailed version , I've been looking at the Sig Nightmare Carry and the Kimber Pro or Master Carry.

So this got me thinking used/new what is the best $800-1400, 4 in 1911 that you think will suite my desire.
    Educate me on the more custom ones as I am not to familiar with them.

Revopop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Evansville, the Shallow South
    I have a Sig 1911 Traditional Compact that I carry a lot. In my opinion, Sig makes the best 1911 for the money right now. The mags they come with are premium Tripp Research mags, you get 2 of them, and mine has been accurate and reliable. I have one of the original Oregon Kimbers, and the newer ones aren't nearly as nice. Just not worth what they cost now. You get a lot more for your money with a Sig compared to any mid level 1911 out there.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    SW1911 e series, scandium frame, roundbutt

The Sigs look good as well. The slides are a little different and might nt fit all holsters.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    The sig c3 is a great carry pistol. It's got a 4" slide on an officers frame. I've seen them as low as $700 new.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You would be very happy with this 1911. Bradis has sold these in the price range you quoted.

Product: Model SW1911

That PC1911 is the exact pistol that I carry 90% of the time. (When I am allowed to carry) It has plenty of accuracy and with the right mags runs well. Gun does not have night sights and I am not a huge fan of the slide cuts. The Performance Center logo is marketing and in name only in my opinion. Not the quality of long ago but what a person should expect (rather will get) from a mid tier, $1100-$1400 production 1911 nowdays. I really do like this gun but it took a little love from a gun smith to make it right. After getting the rear sight pushed and a short trigger installed I think it will serve my purposes.

I prefer the bobtail or roundbutt guns over the shorter officers frames. They accept regular mags, allow a full grip and still conceal as well.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Oh no... 1911 opinions... Be ready for about 146,246,841 distinct and varying opinions...

:).

I have a Wilson Combat 1911 but I'd buy any 1911 made with quality parts that runs well [I generally don't like most mass-production 1911s - cheaper/weaker parts and tolerance stacking]. Out of over 5,000 rounds through the pipe on this 1911 I've had one FTF and I believe it was an issue with the particular round [due to the way it failed it didn't seem like a normal failure].

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My experience with Wilson Combat is the same as Mike's. Mine developed the nasy habit of not locking back on empty mags. It is currently in Arkansas getting checked out. Took it to my local Master Dealer and Wilson sent a call tag. Communication has been excellent and I have no doubt I will get the gun back in about a week. I will own a second Wilson one day.

Now the problem. $3000 1911s go a bit over the OPs budget. The Smith and Wessons are definately production guns. I currently have 3 of them and I will recommend them. They are not and should not be compared to a semi custom gun. I do think they are on par with many of the other mid tier 1911s one the market right now.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Wilson Combat customer service is excellent. I sent mine in for a new finish [ArmorTuff] and had some spare parts fitted - turn-around was quick and they were very nice on the phone :).

That said that 1 FTF happened at around round 3,000 and I've fired another 3,000 since then without issue so I am chalking it up to an anomaly with that round. It seems almost like the case neck was too wide/wasn't crimped properly as it looks like it didn't want to slide into the chamber and bound up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you can find a used Springfield TRP you will not be un-happy. They are as close to an out of the box custom 1911 as you will find short of a Baer/wilson etc.
    Not a thing wrong with a Springer loaded for less money either.

Edit....OP, sorry. You are asking about commander frame 1911's.

Last edited:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Love the Sig 1911's Great guns out of the Box, Kimber and S&W are also both good choices. All three hold about the same resale value in relation to the purchase price. You say you want a4" barrel but I am assuming you are good with the standard commander length 4.25" I think only Kimbers are a true 4". Or pick you up any quality commander size pistol and pay to have it bob tailed...just a thought.
    I carry a Kimber crimson Pro that I bob tailed because I wanted basically the same thing you are looking for, I think.

This may sound like it but it's not an advertisement :) Just sharing

tackshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 11, 2014
    Southside
    Thanks to everyone that posted, I have some thinking to do for sure but also some saving, whenever I do get my paws on which ever 1911 I choose, I will post pics asap.
    Thanks again

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Here's my WC 1911. This is before it was Armor Tuff'd.

IMG_4581.jpg

And a shot of me taking that picture for the lol's.

184192312.jpg

Yes - the dining room table :).

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I've had a number of Kimber Series I pistols and they were all VERY nice for the money.. Excellent triggers and would cut a ragged hole.. Obviously it might be difficult to find one locally and you are always taking a chance on GB but for the money I think they are hard to beat.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

Top Bottom