• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Does anyone out there carry a 1911 in a shoulder rig on a regular basis? I've been trying to carry my 1911 with different holsters and I am thinking a shoulder rig might be comfortable. I especially like the idea of belt loops to hold my pants up, which is getting to be more and more of a problem for me. I see shoulder rigs a lot in the movies, but I suspect that is more for the camera. I would like to hear from some folks who wear shoulder rigs for their EDC.

I would also appreciate recommendations on a really good quality shoulder rig to purchase.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Not sure what the OP really wants to know. :scratch:

Are the questions specifically about shoulder rigs for the 1911 only, or rigs in general?

Have several shoulder rigs, but don't current carry a 1911-type auto.

MOST versions have a belt attachment loop available. Preference on manufacturer would be whomever one likes I suppose, as it appears most of the holsters makers have at least one shoulder rig available.

JMO, but unless the handgun is very lightweight, a 'balance' on the opposite side of the holster helps considerably. Something like a double mag or speedloader pouch, cuff case, knife sheath, etc. The belt attachment loop helps if one chooses not to have offside accessories, but the rig then wants to droop and shoulders will tend to feel off-balanced.

The first choice to make is whether to carry the gun horizontal or vertical. Longer barrels are easier to carry vertical, but 4" - 5" or less can easily be carried horizontal, or with a slight tilt, depending on preference.

No more 'difficult' to wear than a hip rig, and more comfortable, generally speaking. JMO, again.

Personal preferences are Black Hills Leather, and Fist.

nb1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Columbus
    A friend of mine just had one made in Nashville, IN. He paid just over 100 but the guy custom fitted it for him and added a double mag pouch that can be removed if wanted to add a second gun later. It was quite nice and not bad on price for what me and him found available.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I have Kimber full size 1911. Wanting to go vertical with mag pouch on other side. Would like to have belt loops both sides. Will check out Black Hills and Fist.
    JMO, but I recommend a double mag pouch on the off-side, particularly with a full size 1911. Just a better weight balance between the strong and weak sides, IMO.

The man to talk to at Black Hills is Rudy. Rudy's a class act, and that's about the 'worst' thing I can say about the guy, LOL. Had him make a horizontal rig for a FNP-45 with a vertical double mag pouch for the offside. That's not a 1911 of course, but it's comparable, as the FN is larger than a 1911.

It was a 'bit' pricey, but ordered it with some custom tooling, etc. so IMO it was a good price for the work involved.

The Fist website is somewhat 'weird' to navigate, IMO. But the holster is great, and I was buying the website, LOL.

Also have leather rigs from Bianchi, Galco, and a Bianchi vertical nylon rig.

Just remember to wear loose fitting jackets for CC, not too hard to find nowadays as that's basically the style. Suit / sport coats should be tried for size while wearing the rig and will need to be either one size larger, or tailored. Basically, the rig will 'add 10 pounds to your look'.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have a 1911 shoulder rig I sometimes wear during cold weather with my leather jacket and a Dan Wesson. It has no belt parts, so I'm likely to be wearing my IWB at the same time. It does have a dual spare mag pouch on the offside. I can't tell you the name of it, though. It's also wrong handed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Be aware that not all the rigs are the same. Depending on your build they will put the gun in different positions on different people. Try a few before you decide what to buy.
    I have a rig that I wear on occasion. As I have aged and body has changed the gun is farther behind my shoulder center line and is a bit of a reach to grasp.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    I have a horizontal rig for my Glock 22 (full size frame) and I find that the gun sticks out too far from my chest to be concealed, even with a heavy coat like my Carhart. I never use it for this reason...it looks really nice and is very comfortable, but doesn't do the job I need it to. I still want to try a vertical rig though...

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    My shoulder rig for my Colt Gvmt Mk IV is a Galco Miami Clasic (original, not the II). It has the double mag pouch on the off side.

I've worn this rig often, in all seasons. I've worn it for as long as 18 hours (once or twice), and routinely for 8 to 10 hours at a time, with no complaints.

I've worn it in suits, under loose shirts, and under a winter coat.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I use a Galco Miami Classic II for my G 19 (I know, not a 1911). It is my weekend morning holster and daily evening holster. Much more comfortable leaning back in a Lazy Boy wearing a shoulder holster vs a belt holster.
    In the past I've used a Miami Classic for my Beretta 92 FS when doing plain clothed security at fancy soirees. The Beretta's a big gun and I would have to leave my suit jacket open.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    How about this? Ihave a nice galco rig hanging on my wall if you want to borrow it for a bit and see how you like it.

Top Bottom