• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I didn't think I would ever add a Glock to my collection, but things just worked out this way.

I'm having some work done on the house and was able to work a deal with the contractor to trade about $1200 worth of material and labor for a Springfield XDM that I've been using to carry in my pick-up in an under the steering wheel rig.

I told him it wasn't worth $1200, more like $600, but he was happy to make the trade. So I thought that I would like to replace it, and figured it's pretty much based on the Glock design anyway, and the Glock fits the same holster I was using for the XDM. So I picked up a Gen 4 Glock 20, its one of Glock's 10mm offerings. Haven't shot it yet, waiting for some Buffalo Bore ammo that I ordered.

Range report with pics later.

DSC_5990a_zpse9bbaf7c.jpg

Last edited:

SwampDude

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I don't own a 10mm, but I've always been curious about what its like to shoot one...recoil, muzzle flip, flash and bang. I'm thinking it must be somewhere in the neighborhood of a .357 or .44 mag; maybe in between these two. Give us some feedback on your first shooting experience.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I think the XDM is real nice firearm, but it was hard for me to pass up the deal the contractor was offering me for it. I went with the Glock for a couple of reasons. I've been interested in getting a 10mm and from what I've read so far, the Glock platform seems to perform better with 10mm than the 1911 platform. Yes I understand that the XDM is not a 1911, its basically Springfield's version of the Glock design. I don't think Springfield offers the XDM in a 10mm. Also, some ammo makers that tell you not to use their 10mm offerings in a Delta Elite for example, and Wilson hasn't been producing 10mm in their 1911s as of late, so I've been shying away from getting a 10mm in a 1911. I'm not planning on carrying the Glock, I'm still a 1911 man through and through. I bought the Glock for the truck. Not that I would rule it out for carry.

And one last thing that bothered me about the XDM, maybe its minor, it only happened once. I've put a lot of rounds through the XDM and never had a problem until I took it to the range one day last winter. It was cold, about -10. It didn't like the cold at all, had several FTFs using Federal Premium hollow point hydra-shok. 230 grain. Since then I polished the feed ramp and have not had the issue again, but I haven't had another below zero day to test it either.

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I'm thinking your contractor must have owned a Glock at one time, after putting the XDm in his hand he must have felt $1200.

I can totally relate.

Hey, far be it from me to second guess him. Everybody walks away happy!

Congrats on the purchase. Just be prepared for the next one to "show up" in your collection ;)

Just don't tell my wife, she already thinks I've lost it when it comes to guns. :):

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    When I first started taking my G19 to the range, I got hooked on Glock bigtime. Soon after I'd purchased a G17, G26 and G34. Eventually I sold the G26 and G17 and have settled in with the G19 and G34, as well as opening up and picking up guns from other manufacturers. I now own a Walther PPQ 5" and an M&P Shield as well. Still, I have an itch to pick up another Glock whenever I can afford to do so... :D

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I don't own a 10mm, but I've always been curious about what its like to shoot one...recoil, muzzle flip, flash and bang. I'm thinking it must be somewhere in the neighborhood of a .357 or .44 mag; maybe in between these two. Give us some feedback on your first shooting experience.

It is pretty stout, I would say close to a .357. All I have shot 10 MM in was a full size 1911, so it was really controllable.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Hey, far be it from me to second guess him. Everybody walks away happy!

Just don't tell my wife, she already thinks I've lost it when it comes to guns. :):
    Believe me your not the only guy with a wife that thinks that way. And I cannot understand what makes them like that, told my girlfriend I was picking up a 26 and she thought that was great, the problem is when others start following them home! Lets see now we are the proud owners of the 26, 27, 19, 17,23, 30s, and finally a 34. If we only knew how expensive that first one would end up being! LOL.

Top Bottom